Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metroplex
    • Jul 2019

Pushing calibration to Ford module?

I have a Ford Fusion with a gearshift module (GSM) that has an older software calibration, but the hardware part number is the same as the GSM on a slightly newer Fusion. So basically two identical GSM's but one has an older software version. When I try to update it in IDS or FJDS, it refuses to update saying it is already the latest calibration.

Is there any way to force a newer calibration/strategy onto that module? I heard something about blank path programming but I wanted to hear if there's any other ways before I dig into the guts to get to the module.
  • Nate75
    • Jan 2019

have you tried doing a programmable module installation procedure with IDS? that will almost always reprogram even if the module is already "up to date". are you trying to swap modules? or just update it? ford may have a different calibration between the years and the "older" software is correct for that vehicle. is the PCM calibration the same on both cars?

Comment

• metroplex
      • Jul 2019

I don't have an IDS license right now but that option is Lso found in FJDS. I tried it but it just pulls the existing calibration from the network. I have down loaded later calibrations from Fords site and put it in the calibrations folder. Someone suggested I disconnect the module while running the PMI to do a blank path programming?

Comment

• diesel71
        • Feb 2008

id stay away form the blank path programing, you might brick the module.
        try a pmi, when it says install new module just leave the same one in and hit the tick mark. it should program it
        . if it says there is no later calibration then your done that is the latest calibration.

Comment

• metroplex
          • Jul 2019

It says it has the latest calibration but I have another Fusion with an identical GSM hardware number but has a newer software revision. If I have to pull the GSM to do a PMI, I might try inserting the GSM with the newer module so it inhales that software then installs on the older version?

Comment

• Nate75
            • Jan 2019

are you trying to fix a problem? or just fooling around trying to get a "later" calibration into it? as I said earlier just because there is a different calibration in another module with the same part number doesn't mean that all modules with that part number should have the same calibration (different engines, paddle shift, even trim level sometimes). you said earlier that the one was a little newer, does the PCM have the same calibration? are they truly identical vehicles? if fords tool says no later calibration it is probably right.

Comment

• metroplex
              • Jul 2019

One vehicle was built JAN 2017, the other MAY 2017. Both are Fusion Sports, identical options/trim/packages/paint/engines. The PCM calibrations even came the same, and had the same available upgrade calibration for the PCM.

But the MAY 2017 vehicle has a gearshift module with a software revision greater than -AL, so the illumination strategy is different. The JAN 2017 vehicle has a GSM with an earlier software, and the GSM basically stays lit much longer. I'm just wondering since both GSMs have the same hardware part # (according to the IDS Log and FORScan) if I could somehow force the older software to be upgraded to the newer software. The Ford calibration library doesn't seem to have the original software revisions though for those GSMs (-AK and -AM) so FJDS keeps pulling the original calibration either from the module or from somewhere.

Comment

• metroplex
                • Jul 2019

I tried everything and for some reason FJDS automatically updated the newer module to an even newer software revision (-AM to -AP) but refuses to update the older module. After messing around with FJDS, even using the Update/Special Function with code 53061, it wouldn't budge and FJDS started to want to downgrade the newer car's module to -AJ.

Comment

• metroplex
                  • Jul 2019

Success. I used a Vin from a newer Fusion Sport and loaded it during initial PMI. Then I loaded the asbuilt for the GSM, then did the PMI.

Comment

• Nate75
                    • Jan 2019

very interesting, makes me wonder why the tool thinks the older car needs an older calibration.

Comment

• metroplex
                      • Jul 2019

When I pulled the As Built for the GSM on the older car, it called for the older, -AK revision and would never allow me to perform a reprogram upgrade. When I used a newer Vin, the as built showed the newer software and I guess it pulled the newer software revision.

Comment

Working...