Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dale johnson
    • Jul 2009

94 Mercury villager fuel smell

Hi guys let me start off by saying I have Just started revisiting these pages in the last month. AFTER buying my Verus. For me I never had the old platform so I dont have anything to compare to. Anyway wrong topic.
    The question I have is on a 94 villager we have at the shop right now. Customer is complaining about a gas smell around the filler neck also states he sees fuel residue in gas cap area. When we got the van in I checked the area to confirm what he is seeing. Yes it looks like gas has been spilled there but not wet when I looked. Checked gas cap. Gas cap seeemed tight. This has been a on going conplaint so not the first time down the road with this car. When removing the cap for inspection you can hear the vacume releasing. First thing I was thinking at the time is if you can hear the vacume the evap system cant be leaking can it? Checking the gas cap it looks fine. Now after taking off the gas cap you really can smell a gas smell.
    So then I was thinking liquid gas leak somewere. I cant seem to find any leaks. I did not hook up the smoker because the system seems to hold a vacume just fine.
    As I am writing this I am starting to wonder should I be able to hear that much of a vacume when releasing the gas cap. HMMM Is there a valve maybe that should be releasing some of the pressure on the system?
    Anybody know this system and have a idea of what I might be up against. I well be honest evap is still new to me in the way of proper diagnostics. Look forward to hearing any replies you guys may have. Sorry on a last note the van does have a 3.0 engine in it. As I understand it this van is the same as a 94 Nissan Quest.
  • Trindaddy
    • Jan 2010

I'm not the evap expert here (Joe and Glenn are), but i'll take a stab at it for ya. Two things come to my mind. First the venting ability of this system. Does it have any codes? Maybe the vent is in-op or its filter (sometimes found in the "mouth" of the vent) is plugged. Does it refuel quickly/easily?
    Next, i would think the cap should vent at some point (allow air in). Maybe you should check this too. Depending on the system design, the fact that you have vac at cap does not mean you have no evap system leaks IMHO. If you can smell/ see a leak, you almost certaintly have one. I would start w/ a leak test to eliminate and test a few parts (vent, purge etc). Good luck. If you need more exact help just say so. Neil

Comment

• eddiesverus
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Dale johnson
      Hi guys let me start off by saying I have Just started revisiting these pages in the last month. AFTER buying my Verus. For me I never had the old platform so I dont have anything to compare to. Anyway wrong topic.
      The question I have is on a 94 villager we have at the shop right now. Customer is complaining about a gas smell around the filler neck also states he sees fuel residue in gas cap area. When we got the van in I checked the area to confirm what he is seeing. Yes it looks like gas has been spilled there but not wet when I looked. Checked gas cap. Gas cap seeemed tight. This has been a on going conplaint so not the first time down the road with this car. When removing the cap for inspection you can hear the vacume releasing. First thing I was thinking at the time is if you can hear the vacume the evap system cant be leaking can it? Checking the gas cap it looks fine. Now after taking off the gas cap you really can smell a gas smell.
      So then I was thinking liquid gas leak somewere. I cant seem to find any leaks. I did not hook up the smoker because the system seems to hold a vacume just fine.
      As I am writing this I am starting to wonder should I be able to hear that much of a vacume when releasing the gas cap. HMMM Is there a valve maybe that should be releasing some of the pressure on the system?
      Anybody know this system and have a idea of what I might be up against. I well be honest evap is still new to me in the way of proper diagnostics. Look forward to hearing any replies you guys may have. Sorry on a last note the van does have a 3.0 engine in it. As I understand it this van is the same as a 94 Nissan Quest.
      Right below the Fuel filler cap, underneath the vehicle you'll see a small vapor rubber hose that goes to the canister. this hose will usually crack and leak fuel fumes under certain conditions, will pass vacuum test because vacuum will hold it tight. A Evap smoke tester is the best way to test this system. good luck..
      Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

Working...