Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Vantage PRO User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-19-2014, 07:53 AM
joec44 joec44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ellwood city pa
Posts: 12
joec44 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default battery charging

My vantage pro battery that I had rebuilt last year has a problem. When I put it the charging station the red and green led,s just blink back and forth. Does this mean that the battery is bad?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Joe Rappa's Avatar
Joe Rappa Joe Rappa is offline
Snap-on DSD
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,860
Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Default

Yes. When the charger does the railroad crossing alternating lights it indicates there is a problem with the battery. If it was extremely dead, sometimes you can get it to charge by trying it several times. If it wasn't that dead, there is a problem with it.
Joe
__________________
"You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
Henry Ford

Last edited by Joe Rappa; 06-19-2014 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-19-2014, 11:01 AM
joec44 joec44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ellwood city pa
Posts: 12
joec44 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default battery

Thankx Joe
So now I get to spend moor $$$ OH what luck!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Joe Rappa's Avatar
Joe Rappa Joe Rappa is offline
Snap-on DSD
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,860
Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Default

I understand. Both my Modis and Vantage Pro batteries are getting tired. Especially my Modis battery. I'm not eager to replace them, but they are both pretty old, so I've got no gripes. Funny thing is, when my Modis battery is bad it only runs the tool for a few minutes, if it all. When my VP battery is getting old it still works for about a half hour or so. It'll be totally dead before too long.

Joe
__________________
"You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
Henry Ford
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Crusty Crusty is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Great White North
Posts: 2,421
Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Default

Sometimes, and not always, rechargeable batteries can be brought back to some kind of service life buy cycling them through 3 or 4 DEEP CYCLE discharges and recharges.
Charge them up as much as they'll take, and leave them for 6 or 12 hours still charging. If the voltage is up full there is usually very little current so therefore there isn't any heat.
Hooking a light bulb across them to bring them down again till the bulb is dim (but not completely out) and then charging them up to full charge again, leaving them on for another 6 or 12 hours (again low current flow at this point) and then cycling them down again with the light bulb and recharging them a third time, to full charge, and leaving them for another 6 to 12 hours to give them a true full charge and it might last another 6 months or year.
It takes some effort to cycle them but sometimes you don't have to purchase another battery right away.
HTH
(the Crusty one...LOL)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-19-2014, 09:02 PM
Joe Rappa's Avatar
Joe Rappa Joe Rappa is offline
Snap-on DSD
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,860
Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Sometimes, and not always, rechargeable batteries can be brought back to some kind of service life buy cycling them through 3 or 4 DEEP CYCLE discharges and recharges.
Charge them up as much as they'll take, and leave them for 6 or 12 hours still charging. If the voltage is up full there is usually very little current so therefore there isn't any heat.
Hooking a light bulb across them to bring them down again till the bulb is dim (but not completely out) and then charging them up to full charge again, leaving them on for another 6 or 12 hours (again low current flow at this point) and then cycling them down again with the light bulb and recharging them a third time, to full charge, and leaving them for another 6 to 12 hours to give them a true full charge and it might last another 6 months or year.
It takes some effort to cycle them but sometimes you don't have to purchase another battery right away.
HTH
(the Crusty one...LOL)
It's worth a try. It's even free.
__________________
"You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
Henry Ford
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-20-2014, 04:08 PM
Modis500's Avatar
Modis500 Modis500 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mooresville,NC
Posts: 333
Modis500 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default

Here's a tip that an old timer told me about.... Drain it completely and throw in the freezer for a day. Then let it thaw out for a day and charge it... Apparently it "removes" the memory effect. Don't know about that last part, but it does give you a little more life, worked on some 9.6V Makita batteries.
__________________
"If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
Zig Ziglar
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-20-2014, 04:30 PM
Crusty Crusty is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Great White North
Posts: 2,421
Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modis500 View Post
Here's a tip that an old timer told me about.... Drain it completely and throw in the freezer for a day. Then let it thaw out for a day and charge it... Apparently it "removes" the memory effect. Don't know about that last part, but it does give you a little more life, worked on some 9.6V Makita batteries.
That makes sense. The cold will continue to take the last bit of surface charge off it so it has a really good clean start for the charge cycle.
Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-21-2014, 03:43 AM
joec44 joec44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ellwood city pa
Posts: 12
joec44 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default battery charging

I would like to post a update.
I did what Joe said and put the battery in and out of the charger several times and out of the blue it started to take a charge so all is well and thankx agen to Joe for the tip
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-21-2014, 04:02 AM
Crusty Crusty is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Great White North
Posts: 2,421
Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec44 View Post
I would like to post a update.
I did what Joe said and put the battery in and out of the charger several times and out of the blue it started to take a charge so all is well and thankx agen to Joe for the tip
Hey that's good news. It isn't completely pooched....
You may find it doesn't hold a charge or last very long.
I would suggest you give it a charge, cycle it down and charge it up again.
Good luck
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Reminder: Your participation in these areas of the site is solely at your own risk. The
information is only the opinion of the poster, is no substitute for your own research,
and should not be relied upon for business critical decisions or any other purpose.
Never assume that you are anonymous and cannot be identified by your posts.
We reserve the right to discontinue any users' use of any such public forum
for any reason. Please read the Terms of Service.

Snap-on is a trademark, registered in the United States and other countries, of Snap-on Incorporated. Other marks are marks of their respective holders.
©2009 Snap-on Incorporated. All rights reserved.