Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anotheridiot
    • Jul 2009

"Newer" scanner

We have an original Modis scanner, was updated to 2009 after we bought it, since that was the latest model car we owned. Now we have a 2016 subaru, so looking to get ahead. There are plenty of deals on ebay, but I was brought back to this forum thru this attachment:

My question is, why is Ethos left out of this history lesson? It was one my son used at UTI, where we did our 40,000 training to be offered a job at a NAPA auto parts counter, but just wondering why this is left out of the history?

Our Modis problem is the screen, viewing outside is impossible, but we do not want just a scanner where I go google codes and garage you tube stars telling us what to do, I want a functional scanner that can run tests to help diagnose. We have never used the scope though.

Not rich, not someone who needs the latest and greatest, just take care of our fleet and help people we know who need it and probably take advantage of people letting go of good equipment in these hard times so we have something more up to date when we need it.
  • Modis500
    • Sep 2012

Good morning,

Quite the handle, let's all hope it's not too fitting. Anyways, onto your question. The Ethos does not offer Bi-directional testing (Fuctional Tests) on the early models. Later on, however, it did add that on the Ethos Edge...
    Honestly though, with you trying to take advantage of someone needing the cash, find a good used Solus Ultra. Can't go wrong for the price and availability. Also, they've been around for so long that you can find the exact update and condition on fleaBay that you might want/need. As far as going with the cheapest/best thing for the buck, I'd personally pass on anything Ethos as it's a parts store tool, like you eluded to earlier. Yes, it has graphing and data, yet it's a small screen, and for a few dollars more, you can get a used Solus Ultra/Edge/etc.
    Hope this helps,

Tom
    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
    Zig Ziglar

Comment

• anotheridiot
      • Jul 2009

Thanks, someone got an Ethos Edge from a woman in Wisconsin selling her husbands tools, 20.2 update, used once, 900. By the time she answered me about the update year it was sold.
      Just asking questions since I dont want to get another one that cannot do that one last (or any) tests on a part before just replacing the part. Can do that with a code reader.
      I appreciate the knowledge.

Comment

• crackerclicker
        • May 2008

Ethos Edge and Ethos Pro are both very capable tools with bi-directional coverage for OBD 1 and OBD 2 vehicles. Another option is the Ethos Tech, which offers the same functionality as above but only for OBD 2 vehicles.

There are very few software differences between the Solus & Ethos Edge/Pro/Tech lines. As I recall, these particular Ethos lines are primarily only missing the "Fast Track Troubleshooter" and VW's "Expert Mode" compared to the Solus line.

However, be aware that the older Ethos lines not mentioned above were more limited in functionality.

Comment

Working...