Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bughood
    • Aug 2012

running compression

I was looking to buy a Snap-on transducer to do running compression. I was wondering if I exceed 100 psi on the 100 psi transducer will it damage the transducer? I would buy the 500 psi transducer but I like the idea of being able to do vacuum with the 100psi transducer. Running compression on most cars should be less than 100 as long as I don't snap throttle. Would like to have both transducers but can't afford that right now. Thanks for any help. Merry Christmas!
  • tyrod
    • Dec 2013

Running Compression

The 100 psi transducer will work for a running compression tests. You should see between 50 and 70 psi. Anything less than 50 will usually have a misfire.

Comment

• crackerclicker
      • May 2008

I'm somewhat reticent to reply without proof, but usually pressure transducers have a "burst" rating that is somewhere around two to three times their max range. So, conceivably, the 100 PSI transducer should be capable of withstanding a short duration of 200 to 300 PSI. Take that with a grain of salt.

However, you should know that the 500 PSI transducer is capable of showing the intake scaling of an in-cylinder capture. Unless there has been some changes in design, I have captures to prove this. In my opinion, if you can only afford one transducer, and you intend to use it for compression testing, buy the 500 PSI version. Just be aware of the limitations that are inherent to this style of transducer whether it be the 100 or 500 PSI version. Good luck, and happy squiggly line hunting.

Comment

• bughood
        • Aug 2012

Thanks for the response. What limitations to this style of transducer do you mean crackerclicker?

Comment

• crackerclicker
          • May 2008

When used in dynamic conditions (compression testing), they can begin to lose the zero reference. As long as you use a strong (re: not very flexible) compression hose, and don't run the vehicle for too long, you can get some pretty good waves from them. Snap on, ATS, and most (if not all) of the generic transducers you can get from Ebay, etc. are like this.

The most reliable transducer available is the Pico WPS500.

Most PicoScope kits are backordered a couple weeks, secure yours today! The PicoScope Automotive Authority Autonerdz PicoScope training now available with monthly Subscription! Mission Statement: To

The Fluke PV350 is also accurate, but comes with it's own set of issues (noisy signal).

One other very reliable option is the DCTI kit.

Automotive diagnostic equipment sales and support for professional automotive technicians, schools, instructors, and trainers. Services include custom manufacturing and product development.

Comment

• bughood
            • Aug 2012

Thanks for the info, time to see if I was naughty or nice!!! I already know but we will see if Santa really knows Merry Christmas!

Comment

• crackerclicker
              • May 2008

Haha! Merry Christmas!

Comment

Working...