Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sully2007
    • Apr 2013

using vantage pro

I just started using a scope. having a lot of problems getting good waveform on the screen. If anyone could help please do.
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Sully2007
    I just started using a scope. having a lot of problems getting good waveform on the screen. If anyone could help please do.
    First off, don't get frustrated, scopes can be a lot of FUN and interesting.

A scope is a voltmeter that also displays TIME so try changing your time settings. The Vantage-Pro also has lots of preset test configurations so use them. That's one reason the machine will ask you to ID the vehicle.

As a true "scope", the V-P isn't the best but as a complete combination it is really very good. I havn't had any need for a more elaborate "scope" than my V-P.

Also there are some SnapOn training modules...

They're linked on this site.
    HTH

Comment

• markt
      • Apr 2011

owning a v.pro myself for a while now and have to say it is a cracking tool..real helpful with its onscreen guides but feel it is sadly let down by a rather sh*te screen..it really is its main let down im afraid

Comment

• Modis500
        • Sep 2012

I'm going to have to agree with Mark on this one. This is a phenomenal tool, especially the ability to pull up the car and component. However, Snap On was quick to update the Solus Pro to the Ultra, and now update the Verus to the Verus Pro, just waiting for an upgrade to the Vantage Pro. Maybe a larger screen, and ?? What other upgrades do you guys think would be beneficial to this tool? More channels perhaps? 4?
        "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
        Zig Ziglar

Comment

• sandt38
          • May 2012

Originally posted by Modis500
          More channels perhaps? 4?
          That would more or less phase out the Verus lineup. I doubt they want a lower priced unit to rob sales from their flagship.

Comment

• 3wheeler
            • Nov 2007

why not build it like a pico scope and hook to laptop

Comment

• crackerclicker
              • May 2008

Originally posted by 3wheeler
              why not build it like a pico scope and hook to laptop
              They did, and it appears it didn't sell well. If I remember correctly, it was called the SIA 3000 (not to be confused with the SIA 2000 ignition adapter).

Comment

• markt
                • Apr 2011

now that would be a good idea..usb ports there to support connection.

bet it wouldnt be cheap for the software/update from snappy though

Comment

• Lee Brown
                  • Mar 2010

sully2007

Can you clarify "not getting a good waveform"

do you see a waveform on the screen? Are you using the trigger to hold the waveform so you can view it? Is your concern that your image looks fuzzy when compared to similar waveforms from other products like the Verus, Modis, or Verdict models? The Vantage Pro does not have the screen resolution of the higher end scopes. The Modis is not as clear as a Verus Pro but it is still a great tool just like the Vantage Pro.

Comment

• markt
                    • Apr 2011

does not have the resolution of a higher end scope....do you not think at this price it should have?? they aint cheap and apart from a pico which is pc based, nothing else much out there that will match it.

Comment

• gravygrabber
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Sully2007

I'm in this same boat. I got a used one off the truck and I can't figure out what leads to use to setup everything. Twice I've wanted to scope a primary O2 sensor and see if it's bias, etc.. and I can't get it to display a good pattern.

Comment

• Skip
                        Super Moderator
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by gravygrabber
                        I'm in this same boat. I got a used one off the truck and I can't figure out what leads to use to setup everything. Twice I've wanted to scope a primary O2 sensor and see if it's bias, etc.. and I can't get it to display a good pattern.

Have you tried IDing a car and using the preset tests? It will help you get started.

Comment

• crackerclicker
                          • May 2008

Sully & Gravy,

Skip is right. You don't have a scope problem. You have a training problem. The best suggestion I would offer would be to take some classes revolving around scope usage, preferably something specific to your tool. Start with Snappy's own training here: http://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/u...ns/Courses.htm

Then I would recommend Paul Danner's YouTube channel since he uses the Snap On equipment frequently, and typically gives a good description of what he's doing, as well as why he's doing it. http://www.youtube.com/user/ScannerDanner

I always recommend spending some time at Autonerdz.com for geeking out on waveforms. You just have to realize that site is primarily for PicoScope users, so you may not get Snap On specific help, but you can learn a lot about scope usage and set up.

Also, in the past, I heard good things about Travis Dewitz's manual here: http://www.dewitzdiagnosticsolutions...ining-manuals/

Comment

Working...