Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LarryPipp@msn.com
    • Nov 2008

How to set Dwell with a Vantage

To read dwell on a V8 what settings do you use with a Vantage Pro, 60 or 90 degrees or other settings? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Skip
    Super Moderator
    • Apr 2008

Sorry it took so long to reply, but I had to look for the answer. You set the meter to read duty cycle and use the conversion chart in the tool. From the main menu select A-Z index,then D, scroll down to dwell and select. Next is definition, and Ta-Da! There is an explanation and a link to the conversion chart.

Comment

• LarryPipp@msn.com
      • Nov 2008

There is Dwell out there

Snap-on Diagnostics Technical Support Informed me that the Vantage Pro, that you could not set points. Good For you for figuring out what they didn’t know. Thank you

Comment

• Skip
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2008

Truth be told, I didn't exactly figure it out. I found one of the early MT2400 Vantage guys still in the building. Turns out he wrote the tip I sent you to. It was really bugging me that no body was answering your question. I knew it could be done but didn't know myself. I couldn't even tell you the last time I set a set of points. Glad I could help.

Comment

• hefaus
          • Dec 2007

vantage Pro Dwell

Hi I was wanting to check this out to see if it did read dwell on a points system correctly.I did the duty cycle setup and read duty % .It showed a reading of 43%.I then hooked up my Snap on dwell meter and it read 30 degrees dwell.Using the conversion chart it's not correct for the v8 chev distributor.According to the chart is should have read about 65% or around there.I dont think the Vantage Pro can do point dwell and give an accurate result.I was hoping it would so I could loose my Dwell meter. I still use itto this Day..Oh well maybe I did something wrong. Was fun doing the test anyways..Rpm was between 600 and 900 didn't seem to matter much.Anyone else try to see if it worked?

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
            Snap-on D&I
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by hefaus
            Hi I was wanting to check this out to see if it did read dwell on a points system correctly.I did the duty cycle setup and read duty % .It showed a reading of 43%.I then hooked up my Snap on dwell meter and it read 30 degrees dwell.Using the conversion chart it's not correct for the v8 chev distributor.According to the chart is should have read about 65% or around there.I dont think the Vantage Pro can do point dwell and give an accurate result.I was hoping it would so I could loose my Dwell meter. I still use itto this Day..Oh well maybe I did something wrong. Was fun doing the test anyways..Rpm was between 600 and 900 didn't seem to matter much.Anyone else try to see if it worked?
            The Duty cycle selection was not specifically designed to measure ignition dwell.
            While it may be able to measure ignition dwell in some cases, it will not be able to perform that function as well as a meter designed for that purpose.
            Based on the values you observed, there are a couple things worth checking though the next time you have some more time to experiment.
            Check the trigger slope in the Manual Threshold Select (MTS) setup window. It may be set to rising edge. It is the 5th button from the left on the lower toolbar.
            The slope should be set to falling edge to measure ignition dwell. That is the default, but it is worth checking based on the values you reported. If set to rising, it would be attempting to measure the coil off time, not on time.
            Also note the min/max values displayed for duty cycle. If they are varying quite a bit, that is a good indication the dwell is not being calculated correctly due to the waveform characteristics.
            You may also experiment with the trigger threshold. First try ATS to let the meter automatically set the threshold. Running the ATS function may set the threshold near 0 when you are connected to primary. If it does and dwell is still not correct, try using the manual threshold function to set it higher, maybe 5-7 V to start.

If you can’t get it setup to measure the ignition dwell, you can use the cursors in lab scope to make time measurements and calculate the dwell. It is certainly quicker to just use your dwell meter, but I thought I would mention it since it is an option and you had already done some experimenting.

Comment

• hefaus
              • Dec 2007

Vantage Pro Dwell

Thanks for the info. I will give it another go and see what the results are from your suggestions. If I can I will post the results as well.

Comment

• hefaus
                • Dec 2007

Vantage Pro Dwell

Hi. I did as Rich Shepherd suggested and I got reasonable results. I attached a Image showing readings I had to use the manual threshold function and set the slope to falling as it is was set to rising on the auto threshold .I also changed the trigger voltage to 7 volts.You would have to know to set it up this way before it was reliable.Best stick with a Dwell Meter on the point issue.Still was fun learning experience
                Attached Files

Comment

• fffast
                  • Feb 2008

Dwell dissapointment 4 me 2

I often have the need to set dwell, and was very dissapointed to find snap on hung us out with my vantage pro and Modis. Yes one spends thousands of dollars for latest/greatest and is often dissapointed... I think the fair and correct marketing approach would be to tell us what these machines wont do...I'll bet the individual sale outcome would be different.

Comment

• brad_m
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by fffast
                    I often have the need to set dwell, and was very dissapointed to find snap on hung us out with my vantage pro and Modis. Yes one spends thousands of dollars for latest/greatest and is often dissapointed... I think the fair and correct marketing approach would be to tell us what these machines wont do...I'll bet the individual sale outcome would be different.

It won't do everything. I would like to see a measurable difference in engine performance with using a dwell meter vs: points gap with a feeler gauge.

Feeler gauge is quick and easy. Set it with a dwell meter if you like but 50km down the road it isn't going to be where you set it anyway.

Comment

• sandt38
                      • May 2012

Originally posted by fffast
                      I am guessing most people setting dwell and not really pulling out their scanners to do so.

I am also willing to bet that most people using these tools have no frikken clue how to set points, or maybe even what they are, hence the reason this feature is not part of your scan tool's repertoire.

Comment

• sbreland73
                        • Jan 2009

The last time I had to play with points (YEARS ago) I used a super high-tech tool called a "business card".
                        S. Breland

Comment

• hefaus
                          • Dec 2007

Set Dwell

Originally posted by sbreland73
                          The last time I had to play with points (YEARS ago) I used a super high-tech tool called a "business card".
                          My Vantage Pro had a set up to read Dwell. Finally figured it out . Was more a Just cause for fun thing 327 Chev ...Ahhh the good old days. Keep Smiling.

Comment

• sandt38
                            • May 2012

Sounds like one hell of a big investment there.

Comment

• Crusty
                              • Dec 2007

Ya it's been a long time. I still have all my old feeler guages and my old dwell meters too-!! They still work which is amazing but then again I don't punt tools around either. In a pinch we used to use the paper matchbooks or a corner torn off our (God forbid-!!) cigarette packs....LOL just to get home.

Comment

Working...