Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • happy snappy
    • Oct 2013

verus edge

Hi Guys I live in uk and verus edge is not out here yet but snap on have good deals on verus pros as end of stock my question is whats the main gains the verus edge has I know its faster at booting up.
    Has scope been improved as can not find much info ?
    kind regards
  • sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

Edge vs. Pro = big difference in speed. Pro is loaded with Windows XP = no longer supported by Microsoft, and losing support from others as well (as in OE manufactures, J2534 flash websites, etc.). The Edge has windows 7, and while 10 is rolling out now, 7 will be supported for a few more years. See this : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

This does not mean your machine will stop working, just you may find difficulty in obtaining tech support from Microsoft, and they will stop with updates and patches, which may leave you open to malware and/or virus attacks. I use both units, and I believe the Edge to be a rather capable tool, what the Verus should have been all along, in my opinion.

The scope portion is pretty much the same on both units, as is the scanner. The Pro is still a great tool, and if you are offered a decent deal on one, go for it. The Pro has a standard platter hard disk, vs a solid state drive in the Edge. The later will yield you faster access time, as well as longer battery life between charges, since there are no moving parts in a SSD.
    Last edited by sbreland73; 04-19-2016, 07:53 PM.
    S. Breland

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

XP Embedded is still supported by Microsoft for a couple of years yet.
      You are correct about flash programming and other software programs though. It is definitely time to change operating systems.
      Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Scott_65
        • Mar 2012

Yeah the problem I'm seeing is the other programs. XP Embedded is still supported technically, Internet Explorer isn't being updated. Some websites, including motorcraftservice.com don't work as of recent with the older versions. At least not well. Which means that the advertising spec for the Pro stating that it is j2534 capable, while in most respects is true, has just one more loophole in it.

I'm curious now to look into the new platform, but you saying it has Windows 7 doesn't excite me too much. That suggests it will likely be in the same position that the Pro is in now. For $10k, I don't know why snapon doesn't spend the time to get the pro updated to something that is still supported. I hope that its a legitimate reason, like hardware limitations, and not just because they don't want to.

Comment

Working...