Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gazza345
    • Mar 2013

astra fuel gauge

Hi guys,i've just bought a new solus ultra and was wondering if it is possible to do anything with the fuel gauge in my lpg converted 2008 astra,the car starts and runs on petrol for a few minutes each morn til the temp is over 35degrees and then changes and runs on gas, the problem is because the car always believes its running on lpg(the inj wires are interrupted and run through the gas ecu) after a good few miles the petrol gauge starts to drop and eventually goes right down even though it hasn't been using petrol,the only way to get the gauge to come up again is to put petrol in, its a right pain in the ar*e!! after a few wks i have to put petrol in just to be sure its not gonna run out cos the car won't start if it sees no pressure in the fuel rail, thers been times that gauge reads empty and put £10 in and its rises to bout half full, really don't need to be hauling that much petrol round with me!!
    I do a few conversions too and it would be great to sort the same prob on customers cars too, i can prob live with it but its not as easy to explain to someone who isn't technically minded whats happening.....
    Thanks, Gary
  • markt
    • Apr 2011

strange one this if the fuel is going out the tank then its getting used..yes? worth double checking the gas conversion kit,is it switching over to gas and keeping it on it when running?? cant think of an astra petrol off the top of my head that has a pressure reg on the rail. what engine/code is it?

Comment

• gazza345
      • Mar 2013

Thanks for the reply, the engine code is 1.6 xer, 2008 MY, the gas conv is def 100%, we've done 15k on it now, its just an annoyance that's all, its because of the way the lpg system works(the petrol injector wires are cut and run through the gas ecu and then when running on lpg the gas ecu fires the lpg injectors instead of the petrol ones) because the cars petrol ecu knows how much fuel was in the tank,the fuel pressure,inj durations and engine run time it assumes that fuel must have been used and the gauge drops away....
      There isn't actually a pressure sensor in the fuel rail,it must be referenced through the pump, as my girlfriend found out when parked on a steep hill one evening, came out to the car and it wouldn't start on petrol and couldn't force it to start on lpg either as the gas ecu needs the petrol ecu to piggy back of to run!!!!, I had to go to the rescue, ran it down on to the level and off it went!!( perfect example of the problem with the petrol gauge not reading right, wasn't enough petrol in the tank for the pump to lift on the steep hill)
      I have seen values in the instrument panel data that mention fuel levels and thresholds for light on etc but don't think I can modify anything with the solus, think maybe i'll have someone with tech 2/3 ta have a look if no one can help out on here, although it may not be possible to do anything with it at all.
      Gary

Comment

• markt
        • Apr 2011

yeah..sounds like it could need a software mod for either the engine ecu or clock s from the dealer or someone with tech2 and TIS.

solus or any snappy tool wont touch it for this or much other programming..may programme keys or set configs in other modules but most of the time you need full access to other modules on the vehicle to accept any changes made or programming of new parts on the same network.

Comment

Working...