Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TurboJim
    • Jan 2007

Software technical question

Today I was working on a 09 Ram 5500 6.7 (Vin not available) anyway, came in with "See Dealer, DPF 90% full" on the info center. Did mobile desoot, message gone, but I found a TSB regarding a flash which adds a stationary regen to the software. Now my question is this. When the scanner sets up its menus, for example "System tests", is that hard programmed to the scanner, or does the scanner poll the vehicle for supported tests and displays them. In other words, if I did the flash, would I then have an option for a stationary regen under system tests? Since the 3500 has this stationary regen already, if I IDed it as a 3500, would the option be there then, and are the memory/software addresses the software talks to the same on both trucks?
    Jim Testa
    Senior Technician
    JD Automotive & Truck Inc
    Dover, NJ
  • TurboJim
    • Jan 2007

ttt - still curious.... No software guys reading this? Rich Shepherd? Can you find out for me?
    Jim Testa
    Senior Technician
    Dover, NJ

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

How did you id it the first time ? Did it auto id as a 5500 ? I didn't know that SnapON supported a a 5500 Ram.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

The software does not poll the car to find out what tests are available. If a stationary regen became available for that truck, Snap-on would have to add it to their coverage for it to be available.
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• diesel71
          • Feb 2008

If you id the truck as a 3500 the stationary regen would be in the functional test because it"s there for the 2500/3500 6.7"s. If you tried to perform the test you will get an error message because the 5500 ram did not support that test. after performing the tsb witch is a reflash addding the stationary regen and a few urea system tests it will work, but you would have to id the truck as a 2500/3500 untill it gets added to the software for the 5500 trucks.

Comment

• TurboJim
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by diesel71
            If you id the truck as a 3500 the stationary regen would be in the functional test because it"s there for the 2500/3500 6.7"s. If you tried to perform the test you will get an error message because the 5500 ram did not support that test. after performing the tsb witch is a reflash addding the stationary regen and a few urea system tests it will work, but you would have to id the truck as a 2500/3500 untill it gets added to the software for the 5500 trucks.
            Thanks for the Diesel71, kinda what I thought, but wanted to know for sure.
            Jim Testa
            Senior Technician
            Dover, NJ

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
              Snap-on D&I
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by TurboJim
              Today I was working on a 09 Ram 5500 6.7 (Vin not available) anyway, came in with "See Dealer, DPF 90% full" on the info center. Did mobile desoot, message gone, but I found a TSB regarding a flash which adds a stationary regen to the software. Now my question is this. When the scanner sets up its menus, for example "System tests", is that hard programmed to the scanner, or does the scanner poll the vehicle for supported tests and displays them. In other words, if I did the flash, would I then have an option for a stationary regen under system tests? Since the 3500 has this stationary regen already, if I IDed it as a 3500, would the option be there then, and are the memory/software addresses the software talks to the same on both trucks?
              I didn't think the scanner tests would change if the vehicle is reflashed, but I wasn't sure. Turns out they could.
              Here is the explanation I received when I asked about this:

For 6.7 diesel engine we match the ECU ID (ECUcalibration/software) to a set of PIDs and tests that are supported for that ID. When a newer version of software is flashed the ECU gets a new ID and we then pair our data, PIDs and tests, to this new version. We have the stationary desoot test on the ECU IDs that support it, so yes, if he flashes the ECU with the latest software that Chrysler has for this engine the stationary desoot test should be displayed as a selection on our scanner. He needs to have a fairly current software release (about 11.4).

Comment

• Skip
                Super Moderator
                • Apr 2008

This is true of all Chrysler CAN bus vehicles, on all systems if there is more than one software version avaulable.

Comment

Working...