Verus Stay Away

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasterWrench
    • Oct 2006

I have Windows XP Pro on my laptop and have downloaded and installed everyupdate, security patch, service pack, BIOS update, and .NET Frameworks that is available and have had no problems at all with my laptop.

Here is a link to a website that publishes the list of known vulnerabilities and which have been patched and which have not....

Flexera provides software licensing management, software compliance, installation and application packaging solutions to developers and their customers.

You can look at it by year and get an idea of how many patches etc. one needs to download. These are not something yu get from "Bad websites" but are vulnerabilites to be hacked....

I have 22 update/security patches for XP and that does not count the ones for Microsoft Office programs, Outlook, Java and the rest....There were more but when Service Pack 3 was installed it removed some because they were all incorporated into SP3.....
    MasterWrench

Comment

• weisman21
      • Jan 2009

Speaking of Volvo, and now I drive one, the absence of Volvo is more bothersome to me...until SO fills the void, who has the best Volvo coverage?
      Matthew

Comment

• aurora
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by weisman21
        Speaking of Volvo, and now I drive one, the absence of Volvo is more bothersome to me...until SO fills the void, who has the best Volvo coverage?
        Matthew
        Autodiagnos has the best coverage, I think they still sell the older Vadis ( lap top driven ) scanner wich is really nice for the 99 models and up, for the older ones you would need the hand held scanner.

Comment

• weisman21
          • Jan 2009

thanks, will look into that!
          matthew

Comment

• jm43130
            • Apr 2008

Verus vs Modis

I also traded a Modis for a Verus. I have not had any of the problems most posts had noted. My Verus loads okay, doesn't seem to locl up very much at all, sometimes it is hard to wait a second for a command to happen, but maybe other people think this is a lock up. I have loaded all my Tech 2 software onto Verus, and can update and reflash Tech 2 thru my Verus, and it works great. I also bought a Pass Thru Pro, it works great also.As you might know, GM is going to a pass thru programmed for all new reflashing now anyway. I have loaded all factory web sites into IE7, and it does remember my passwords. Only post I think pertains to me is Verus docking station is overpriced at $200.00, with no extra power cable or a power USB hub. I had to by an external powered USB hub to work extras, like DVD burner to load programs and external keyboards. Overall, I am very happy with my Verus.

Comment

• MasterWrench
              • Oct 2006

I was told in the usual kind manner by the kind fellows at IATN yesterday that the VERUS runs XPe and not XP TE.....

My DSD told me it was the tablet edition....go figure
              MasterWrench

Comment

• Doug Reed
                • Aug 2008

And you were told correctly

Comment

• sbreland73
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by jandwauto
                  would like to know where i can get help or info on issues with the windows xp operating system such as,windows will not save any passwords,cant update windows os as we are locked out.was told by tech support to call microsoft,but the operating system is a stripped down version of xp and windows does not offer support, and they charge for that support.other issues range from keyboard disappearing, unit locks up-requiring reboot,screen clarity not very good with internet explorer,lan card has very poor range. verus diagnostic suite locks up and requires reboot,continually trys to communicate with vehicle and abort does not work. these are just some of the issues. thank you for your time in this matter, and i apoligize if i offended any one with my multiple posts that may have disrupted the forums.
                  thank you, john.
                  Good to see that the Verus is maturing into something real nice! jandwauto would most likely be pleased with the Pro.
                  Last edited by sbreland73; 09-13-2012, 12:59 PM.
                  S. Breland

Comment

• ratchetman
                    • Mar 2011

I'm starting to think I should have stuck with the Modis. I traded in about 18 months ago on a wireless. First unit had tons of problems defective scan module, then more problems. Got a whole other unit. Been struggling on and off since. Poor network communications, scanner not found, atlas crashing or hanging. Technical guy for my area says to call 800 number when there's a problem, but I can't be on the phone that much. Dealer tells me I'm the only one with so many problems. Told me today that he could take my Verus to a shop down the road and they would love it. I'm thinking about taking him up on the offer.

Comment

• sandt38
                      • May 2012

Originally posted by nguyendo
                      This subject matter been discussed over multiple forums, I just want to add my $0.02 to this. I bought the Verus for only one purpose, and that is; a diagnostic tool. Just because it a PC-base scan tools, I'm not intended to tweak-n-tune it just as how I would do with my laptop or home PC. As most of us would agree, we need this tool to get our jobs done which in turn bring food to the table; so I can't afford something to go wrong with the tools. In other words, I'm not going to mess around with the system and risk a chance of crashing it.
                      Agreed. I bought a scan tool, not a PC. I will not risk getting a virus or any malware with my $10K machine. I have a $400 laptop for that. I use the scanner side of the machine and shopkey. Other than that, I don't play with it.

Lock-ups are an issue if you don't go all the way back to the home screen before selecting "change vehicle". Since I started doing that I have no lock up issues to mention.

If you opt to use e-mail in the same environment you use as your primary source of income, you are asking for trouble. So many forms of malicious code pops up in e-mails. You are asking for a "red brick" if you opt to trust your system to such an open source of malware.

Yes, the wi-fi sucks. I bought a $40 external and it works amazing for me. The wi-fi did not like to connect to my ATT hotspot, which is vital for me as I run a side business outside of my workplace.

Sure, the Verus is not the perfect scan tool, but show me one that is. It performs at or above my expectations on the vast majority of what I ask from it, so I can't complain too much.

Comment

• hefaus
                        • Dec 2007

best volvo coverage

Originally posted by weisman21
                        Matthew
                        I would have no problem recommending the Autel MaxiDas DS 708. Sure has lots of good coverage. Great Scanner for the money. Keep Smiling.

Comment

Working...