X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jandwauto
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by sdlindsey
    Fair enough.

So Snap On is responsible for the customization of the Verus' version of Windows XP Tablet, and then it seems like Snap On is also responsible for the inability to update.

This brings me back to my original point, however: Are the problems the original poster is experiencing related to Snap On's customization of Windows XP Tablet? Is the poster having trouble _using_ Windows XP Tablet, or is he griping about how the product is designed?

The one functional complaint he seems to have in regards to Windows XP Tablet is not being able to save passwords. Perhaps the original poster can elaborate on this?
    let me start by thanking everyone involved, especially masterwrench for his extensive research. I currently own 4 laptops and 4 desktop computers with windows xp pro service pack 3, all of them work very well. I dont have any problems configuring or using the windows xp operating system as i also do my own tech support, for the neighborhood i'm the local computer geek. the verus appears to have windows xp pro service pack 2 w/sql server installed on it. when talking to verus tech support (san jose diagnostics) 2nd level support they slipped and admitted windows xp was a stripped down version (notice no snapon customer care are denying that or correcting me) to work in the verus.if you look in my computer, properties you will see .down by the snapon logo if you click on the suport information button you will see that snapon is responsible for ALL support for the verus, hardware and software! most of the problems encountered with the windows xp os are problems inherent with service pack 2. I am very familiar with some of these. most of these issues were cured with service pack 3 or updates prior to the sp 3 update.
    Last edited by jandwauto; 01-15-2009, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• Snafu
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by jandwauto
      outlook express is in all the verus units as it is an integral part of windows, all versions since windows 3.1
      Sorry, you are right it is located under all programs, I'm so use to seeing it on the desktop I did not even go to look for it in the programs.

That being said I will still probably never use it for e-mail, I have enough other computers for that.
      Last edited by Snafu; 01-15-2009, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• nguyendo
        • Nov 2007

This subject matter been discussed over multiple forums, I just want to add my $0.02 to this. I bought the Verus for only one purpose, and that is; a diagnostic tool. Just because it a PC-base scan tools, I'm not intended to tweak-n-tune it just as how I would do with my laptop or home PC. As most of us would agree, we need this tool to get our jobs done which in turn bring food to the table; so I can't afford something to go wrong with the tools. In other words, I'm not going to mess around with the system and risk a chance of crashing it.

Comment

• eddiesverus
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by jandwauto
          when you use your e-mail program,outlook express and you set up an email account does it retain the password after you close and reopen the e-mail program or reboot?
          NO, MY OUTLOOK WILL NOT RETAIN THE PASSWORD. I HAVE TO REENTER EVREY TIME I USE OUTLOOK.
          I understand your frustation with the VERUS, I ALSO HAD MANY ISSUES WHEN I GOT IT, I ALSO TRADED MY MODIS, AND I WAS VERY MAD, BUT GETTING MAD WILL NOT RESOLVE ANYTHING. I NEW THAT THE VERUS IS A NEW TOOL AND IT WAS GOING TO HAVE MANY ISSUES, BUT I DECIDED TO BUY IT ANYWAYS AND I'M STUCK WITH IT, BUT NOW I'M HAPPY WITH IT. I TAKE IT HOME EVERY DAY AND JUST KEEP USING IT, AND I KEEP GETTING BETTER AT IT. YES THE OTC PEGASYS IS CHEAPER AND MAY HAVE BETTER FEATURES, BUT ITS ALSO PLAGGED WITH ISSUES AND ITS OS IS LOCKED AS WELL AS ITS BROWSER, YOU COULD ONLY BROWSE OTC'S SELECTED WEB PAGES BUT YOU CAN'T BROWSE FREELY, AND YOU CAN'T INSTALL YOUR OWN APPS. SO I DECIDED TO GO WITH THE VERUS AND PUT UP WITH WINDOWS ITS ISSUES.
          WINDOWS UPDATE DOES NOT WORK ON THE VERUS, BUT YOU MAY VISIT MICROSOFT WEB SITE AND DOWNLOAD NEEDED UPDATES MANAULY. I UPDATED MY VERUS TO SP3 AND FOUND THAT ITS BEEN RUNNING MUCH BETTER. ALSO I AM RUNNING AVAST ANTI VIRUS I GOT AS A FREE DOWNLOAD. YES THE VERUS DIAGNOSTIC SUITE LOCKS UP AND IT SLOWER THAN THE MODIS, BUT YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO PUT UP WITH IT UNTILL SNAP ON IMPROVES IT. FOR NOW WE JUST GOT TO WORK AROUND IT. THE VERUS IS NOT A PERFECT TOOL, BUT REMEMBER THAT THE MODIS WASN'T ETHER OR OTC'S GENISYS AND PEGASYS, OR ANY OTHER SCAN TOOL OUT THERE. NEW TECHNOLIGY COMES WITH NEW PROBLEMS ALWAYS.
          Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

IMHO jandwauto has every right to complain. If SO says it'll do A-B-C... then it should do A-B-C. If he complains SO then becomes aware that somethin-aint-right.
            That being said, he also shouldn't try to turn a chev into a caddi, or a ford into a lincoln, nor a VW into an Audi.
            It's a diagnostic tool first and foremost.
            With THAT being said, SO also advertised and promoted the other features as desireable features to make their stuff look better than others. Those features should work.
            If ANY tool is capable of being hooked up to other systems (ie: internet) then basic software protection, antivirus, updates, etc. shouldn't be hard to maintain.
            sdlindsay and masterwrench are right. So is jandwauto.

Comment

• aurora
              • Mar 2008

Not to get off the subject but who is monitoring this forum? I havent been on in a while because Snap On now charges for the other forum, as if they needed the money. I would rather pay for IATN, atleast there is a more open minded perspective on things.

Thes comments about the Verus are one of the reasons I choose not invest in one, I am happy right now with the 2 scanners I own, one being the Determinator and the other my Modis, but to be frank I would choose the Deterinator first because of the smart cable and the broader coverage of vehicles component access, I dont by any means think the Modis inferior as I always love the scope function of the tool.

But I am dissapointed to read the backalsh that we have going on here when someone doesnt care for a Snap On product such as the Verus, such harsh comments dont solve problems that users here have they only complicate getting to a solution, the monitor should have responded about the flaming, this forum appears to be heading in a poor direction as far as I can see.

As far as windows goes it basilcly sucks as an operating system let alone run a scan tool, why not go with a open source code type OS such as Linux, windows is constantly being hammered with security issue and alike, and it only complicates things when so called power users start tampering with settings and add-ons. Sad thing is Snappy is charging over $9,000 for the Verus and really all it is is a glorified Modis, there not really giving you much more to get into the ECU,S that factory tools give you plus the full Bi-derectional control , so why would you upgrade your modis to get the Verus when you could invest in several factory tools for the same price? if someone here can give me and a unbiased educated answer that would be helpfull.
              Last edited by aurora; 01-17-2009, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• Steve6911
                • Feb 2007

Aurora

I will try and answer ALL of your concerns as best and unbiased as possible.

Originally posted by aurora
                Not to get off the subject but who is monitoring this forum?Nick, Masterwrench and several people at Snap-on. I havent been on in a while because Snap On now charges for the other forum, as if they needed the money. Snap-on is not charging to belong to the site, all they ask to be a current member is that you have current software for your Snap-on tool.I would rather pay for IATN, atleast there is a more open minded perspective on things.I do not understand what you mean, in your next sentence below you state that people have had poor things to say about the Verus, Snap-on is allowing people to state what they feel so how is that close minded???

Thes comments about the Verus are one of the reasons I choose not invest in one, I am happy right now with the 2 scanners I own, I'm sure Snap-on is glad to hear you are happy with the Modis!one being the Determinator and the other my Modis, but to be frank I would choose the Deterinator first Everyone is entitled to their opinion, thank you for sharing yours because of the smart cable and the broader coverage of vehicles component access, I dont by any means think the Modis inferior as I always love the scope function of the tool.YES, THE SCOPE DOES ROCK!

But I am dissapointed to read the backalsh that we have going on here when someone doesnt care for a Snap On product such as the Verus, such harsh comments dont solve problems Sometimes when people spend BIG $$$$ on something and it does not work correctly they need to vent, not everyone does it in the same way that users here have they only complicate getting to a solution, the monitor should have responded about the flaming,Any flaming is taken care of, if it was that bad the post would have been removed this forum appears to be heading in a poor direction as far as I can see.There is A LOT coming down the road that at this time you don't see!

As far as windows goes it basilcly sucks as an operating system I'm not a programmer so I am not qualified to speak on that topiclet alone run a scan tool, why not go with a open source code type OS such as Linux, windows is constantly being hammered with security issue and alike, and it only complicates things when so called power users start tampering with settings and add-ons. Sad thing is Snappy is charging over $9,000 for the Verus and really all it is is a glorified Modis, Yes it is the Modis/Solus software in a Tablet PCthere not really giving you much more to get into the ECU,S that factory tools give you plus the full Bi-derectional control , so why would you upgrade your modis to get the Verus when you could invest in several factory tools for the same price?Right now "I" will not. I can not get enough for my Modis on a buy back to make it worth my while, but what if I did not have a good scan tool? It would be a great new purchase if someone here can give me and a unbiased educated answer that would be helpfull.
                These have been just "MY" thoughts on your questions I hope you consider them educated and unbiased, sorry to answer your questions within your post but it was easiest way. PLEASE stay with this site, I think you will like the final product!

Steve
                Last edited by Steve6911; 01-17-2009, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• Sparkey
                  • Nov 2008

if someone here can give me and a unbiased educated answer that would be helpfull.
                  I'm not sure if trading the Modis in on a Verus is the the right thing to do at this point in time, buying a Verus (if you really have the extra money to spend) would be up to the individual, but definitely, I would not trade in the Modis not yet... I'm sure SO will get things worked out given the time. I personally have tried (2) different Verus, both of them, even with or without the latest updates had quite a few problems, from lockups, icons on right side lower task bar disappearing, Ford, Chry & Imports have very slow PIDs performance, even takes a minute or so longer to boot than the Modis, etc... etc... Time is money as they say and at the moment I have NO extra time to wait for a system that is operating this slow and even needs a reboot every now & again in the middle of test procedures, the GM part of the Verus does seem to work rather well. After working with the Verus, I think SO has locked on to a great idea, not all people will like it but it's a start of what will become a great tool to have if you are needing this type of tool. There is a lot of features better than the Modis, the idea of have more information on one page is a WoW factor in it self, access to hyperlinks to the CDs right there, seeing all PIDs & customizing it on the same screen, live data in the information areas, what's not to like? I also like the idea I can keep my customers billing / database on the same machine as to where I could check back and see what we had previously done and to check earlier fault codes or other problems without going to a different computer, even out on the test drive...VN! Sure, I've even been upset with the 2 Verus I was trying out and I think it all revolves around the idea that you want to think since you payed out a lot of money for this machine it should have worked with a lot less bugs & glitches. However, I still wonder why SO released this product to the market with so many problems, I can understand no product is perfect and will always have a few glitches. I will end up with the Verus myself but I will wait until things settle down before getting rid of my Modis. On another point you had, YES, it would be VERY NICE if SO would use this forum to let Verus users know what's going on and when they could expect to get the all so needed updates to their system, at least once a week or so.

Comment

• MasterWrench
                    • Oct 2006

Not to get off the subject but who is monitoring this forum? I havent been on in a while because Snap On now charges for the other forum, as if they needed the money. I would rather pay for IATN, atleast there is a more open minded perspective on things.

Thes comments about the Verus are one of the reasons I choose not invest in one, I am happy right now with the 2 scanners I own, one being the Determinator and the other my Modis, but to be frank I would choose the Deterinator first because of the smart cable and the broader coverage of vehicles component access, I dont by any means think the Modis inferior as I always love the scope function of the tool.

But I am dissapointed to read the backalsh that we have going on here when someone doesnt care for a Snap On product such as the Verus, such harsh comments dont solve problems that users here have they only complicate getting to a solution, the monitor should have responded about the flaming, this forum appears to be heading in a poor direction as far as I can see.

As far as windows goes it basilcly sucks as an operating system let alone run a scan tool, why not go with a open source code type OS such as Linux, windows is constantly being hammered with security issue and alike, and it only complicates things when so called power users start tampering with settings and add-ons. Sad thing is Snappy is charging over $9,000 for the Verus and really all it is is a glorified Modis, there not really giving you much more to get into the ECU,S that factory tools give you plus the full Bi-derectional control , so why would you upgrade your modis to get the Verus when you could invest in several factory tools for the same price? if someone here can give me and a unbiased educated answer that would be helpfull.

If you would point out exactly what you think is flaming, I will take a look and respond. I see people having a discussion with different points of view, obviously not all agreeing, but everyone is learning something.

So the "open" comments" people that have bought a VERUS have made have helped you to make an informed decision about not to purchase one at this time? This is still run from the USA and I LOVE the first amendment and really disdain censorship of any kind, so only in an extreme case would I be likely to remove a post. Everyone has their say about their experience with it whether good or bad. I know there are people from Snap-On that come here and read this forum.

I am also a paying member of IATN. There is some good information and very knowledgeable people there. To me, both have thier place.

I have had my MODIS for a few years now. Had the "facelift/upgrade" from Heritage to Avenger done to it and it has served me well. The SAI 2000 and the ignition scope /labscope is indespensible to me. The scope is probably one of the best if not the best on the market. But it also had a shaking beginning like the VERUS is having, so time will tell.

There are 3 obvious reasons to have a VERUS over a MODIS. 1)wireless internet access, 2)Ability to load other diagnostic software onto the tool, and 3) Programming possibilities with the pass thru. If none of the three of these would be uselful to you, imho, get a MODIS and you'll be fine.

Steve also did a great job replying to you. I agree with his responses as well....
                    MasterWrench

Comment

• KM@PROAUTOTECH
                      • Oct 2007

After watching all of this, only seems fitting for me to say something
                      Considering I use a Verus and a Modis and several OE products, not to mention the fact that more often than not I have access to 4 or 5 different Verus a month as I travel, the product seems to be working well. I have been a Modis owner since the start of that platform and Masterwrench is right, and I remember all to well the growing pains in the improvement of the product, so , yes we will see improvements. The other concern I could not help but notice was the thought that OE scan-tools, in not so many words have no problems. That could not be farther from the fact. I know this first hand with the Tech II and IDS. Naturally, the OEM tool does more bi-directional tests within it's own fleet, who would expect less. The only way we are going to see more bi-directional(which I always want) is to keep expressing our need and want on this forum. I would draw example to the vast improvement if you look at nothing else in the 8.4 update other than the improved bi-directional tests, which I know first hand several were added as a result of ALL of US asking.

In responce to the windows issues, which will be an issue on everything for everyone

I know first hand some XP updates have adverse effects on several systems, download a patch, something stops working or doesn't work properly, and yes seems to have different results on different platforms. The next xp patch may or may not fix the last problem. I tend to set restore points before each patch on all of my computers, so when it doesn't work well, I go back to what did work and watch the next patch the same way.So, the pro's and cons to update control, keeps the system stable from snap-on's stand point. If the updates are going to be screened for possible negative results, it needs to be done as quickly as possible, so any positive improvements can be passed on to the end user.

Thanks All.

Comment

• aurora
                        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by KM@PROAUTOTECH
                        After watching all of this, only seems fitting for me to say something
                        Considering I use a Verus and a Modis and several OE products, not to mention the fact that more often than not I have access to 4 or 5 different Verus a month as I travel, the product seems to be working well. I have been a Modis owner since the start of that platform and Masterwrench is right, and I remember all to well the growing pains in the improvement of the product, so , yes we will see improvements. The other concern I could not help but notice was the thought that OE scan-tools, in not so many words have no problems. That could not be farther from the fact. I know this first hand with the Tech II and IDS. Naturally, the OEM tool does more bi-directional tests within it's own fleet, who would expect less. The only way we are going to see more bi-directional(which I always want) is to keep expressing our need and want on this forum. I would draw example to the vast improvement if you look at nothing else in the 8.4 update other than the improved bi-directional tests, which I know first hand several were added as a result of ALL of US asking.
                        The big problem here and I doubt few will disagree, rather then Snap On sell quarterly updates that hit you each for what $600.00 + each, and only give bits and pieces and keep you indebted to them from my point of you is obviously intentional, why not do yearly as OTC/Matco do? you pay $900.00 for Asian and Domestic, and it covers "like I said in my post " a broader spectrum of modules, yes they only release 1 Euro in a 3 year period but is is a huge update.

when you say we have to keep pushing Snap On for further needs from there tool, who exactly is responsible for knowing what we need, dont they have people besides you and me who should be constantly getting the info into these updates with out the need for people to exspress the utter frustration from the end users, users here have constantly complained about lack of this and lack of that and yet each update little is corrected,

I update my Determinator first and then later the Modis, there are die hard Snap on users here who will dispute my opinion and thats cool but atleast be honest about Snap on's intentions here. Some will get the impression that I dont care for Snap On products, " Not true! " I only buy Snap On tools " IE wrenches, ratchets etc " because they are the best on the market hands down.

Comment

• Steve6911
                          • Feb 2007

Sorry to respond within your post again,!

The big problem here and I doubt few will disagree, rather then Snap On sell quarterly updates Wrong, Snap-on updates come out twice a year, second and fourth quaters that hit you each for what $600.00 + each, Price depends on what tool you have and only give bits and pieces and keep you indebted to them from my point of you is obviously intentional, why not do yearly as OTC/Matco do? you pay $900.00 for Asian and Domestic, and it covers "like I said in my post " a broader spectrum of modules, yes they only release 1 Euro in a 3 year period but is is a huge update. yes and that update was/is full of holes and errors! at least with Volvo

when you say we have to keep pushing Snap On for further needs from there tool, who exactly is responsible for knowing what we need, We are responsible for knowing what we need, then in forums like this we tell Snap-on and if they get enough responses they add it dont they have people besides you and me who should be constantly getting the info into these updates with out the need for people to exspress the utter frustration from the end users, users here have constantly complained about lack of this and lack of that and yet each update little is corrected,

I update my Determinator first and then later the Modis, that is your choice and if it works for you that's great! there are die hard Snap on users here who will dispute my opinion and thats cool but atleast be honest about Snap on's intentions here. Some will get the impression that I dont care for Snap On products, " Not true! " I only buy Snap On tools " IE wrenches, ratchets etc " because they are the best on the market hands down. And I bought the Modis because it's the best "All-in-One" box around, hands down

Steve

Comment

• dttech
                            • Sep 2008

I haven't had any real Windows XP problems with my Verus...at least none that I am not also expeiencing with my home computer. I am also not paricularly concerned with any security issues. Most of these apply to malicious codes running on websites where I don't need to be in the first place.
                            I found that when the keyboard dissapears on my Verus, it has usually moved down to the system tray...simply click the icon, and the keyboard reappears.

Comment

• dttech
                              • Sep 2008

I like my Verus....Traded in the Modis...so far, have no regrets. I am running AllData on it. (Sorry Snap-On - it is just much easier to navigate than Shop Stream and find the info I am looking for.) That's the beauty of the Verus...YOU decide what information system you want to run. Modis has no such capabilities. I can pull up specs, connector views, wiring diagrams,repair information, everything I need to complete the diagnosis and repar without ever leaving my service bay.
                              Problems??? I've had a few, but they do not outweigh the advantages that I have been recieving.

Comment

• aurora
                                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Steve6911
                                Sorry to respond within your post again,!

Steve
                                As far as Volvo, I have found the Determinator to have the broadest after market coverage, yes the earlier 850 are very lacking but for the newer models I have been pleased with the coverage, such as climate control, steering wheel modules, front and rear body control module access, Radio and some bi-directional control, etc.

if Snap On where to offer Volvo and give the same amount of coverage or more I would certanly update to Euro to fill the holes,

my mistake, Snap On does 2 updates a year.

Comment

Working...