Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D1353L
    • Aug 2011

CF Card

What is the minimum MB/s card that I can use in my CF 2 slot? I have a SanDisk Ultra CF Card that is 4GB @ 30MB/s. I want to use this card for saving files of images and movies recorded. Does anybody have some advice or information? I would appreciate any help. Just want to know if there is too big or fast of a card that won't work correctly or anything in that regard. I mean can I put in a 128GB CF Card that has 90MB/s speed?
    Last edited by D1353L; 02-17-2012, 07:31 PM. Reason: Accidently posted twice
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
    Albert Einstein
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

There isn't any reason to put too big of a card in the Modis, as it can't keep track of enough files to worry about card size. Cards bigger than around 2G will cause the Modis to freeze until it recognizes it.

Just use an old update CF card (514MB) and you'll be fine. If you feel you need to store tons of files on a card, one member here reports that if you move/rename the folders you can continue to fill the card. I've never messed with it myself. Once my card starts getting full I just delete the files, or same them in Shopstream Connect, if I want to keep them.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• D1353L
      • Aug 2011

So a 4GB card will freeze the Vantage Pro regardless of how many files are stored or only when there are too many files? I would like a clear cut answer like, don't put a card bigger than half a gigabyte or X amount of bytes is the limit for this processor. Is there a phone number to call at snap on to get an answer.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

• Eduardo
        Banned
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by D1353L
        So a 4GB card will freeze the Vantage Pro regardless of how many files are stored or only when there are too many files? I would like a clear cut answer like, don't put a card bigger than half a gigabyte or X amount of bytes is the limit for this processor. Is there a phone number to call at snap on to get an answer.
        I have a 4GB CF card in slot 1 as a main software for my Solus, if it can work for me in Solus it should work the same in Vantage

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by D1353L
          What is the minimum MB/s card that I can use in my CF 2 slot? I have a SanDisk Ultra CF Card that is 4GB @ 30MB/s. I want to use this card for saving files of images and movies recorded. Does anybody have some advice or information? I would appreciate any help. Just want to know if there is too big or fast of a card that won't work correctly or anything in that regard. I mean can I put in a 128GB CF Card that has 90MB/s speed?
          It's running Windows CE operating system. I suppose that OS has some limitations as to how big or how new the CF-card or USB-stick are.
          Personally I use Kingston 1-gig USB-sticks. Member OREVIN (Kai) uses some really smal USB-sticks.
          Because the OS is a "windows" system, any folder has a limit of 500 files in a folder, which the machines create under the "USER" folder name.
          Eventually you'll run out of space in the folder but the CF-card or the USB-stick are capable of holding thousands of screen shots & movies, so don't delete them. Save them in folders along with your SSC program. Just change or add to, the 1st one or two gigits of the "user" folder, then just make a new folder called "user" again and you're good for another 500 files.
          Screen shots that are set as .jpg or .jpeg can be viewed on virtually any PC even without opening the SSC program. Ya, you can set that as ".bmp " (bitmap) but that's kinda dumb AFAIC (like the ULTRA does ). They're SLOW to load and take up HUGE amounts of space so set your machine to save j-pegs instead.
          The Solus-pro and the Vantage-pro were originally using 256Mb cards and 512 work fine. I've used the 1-GB usb-sticks without any problems.
          I've found KINGSTON and SANDISK products to be fairly quick and reliable. I've used up to 4-GB but you don't need anything that big if you're going to BACK-UP your saved data files for future reference, on a PC and I suggest on a second or 3rd storage device such as a larger USB-stick, CF-card or a portable hard drive.
          Programs can be repalced but your "known good" or "known bad" saved files are a valuable resource for testing the same vehicle or even other similar vehicles later....even years later, if a vehicle misbehaves 3 or 4 years from now. That way you have a reference to what that vehicle was doing, even if it was OK when you saved the data.

Comment

• D1353L
            • Aug 2011

I used a SanDisk CompactFlash card that is 4GB @ 30MB/s in the CF2 card slot. Then I set the save data settings to CF2 and when I go to save a screen or movie it says " No space available, delete files to make room". I press no and the Vantage Pro goes to the correct save data screen of make,model,year,etc. But it never did that before. I can save files now on a 4GB card but it's kind of screwy. Has anybody ran into this. Maybe if I just save data to the CF1 slot, then move files to CF2 it will work better
            Albert Einstein

Comment

• roadracer587
              • Mar 2012

I am using a 16Gig USB Flash drive and I get that same message. I simply press N and it goes ahead and saves the data normally. I do not understand why it does that, but as long as it saves it, I really don't care. So I guess what I am trying to say is that the USB slot can take up to 16Gig for sure.
              No one plans to fail, they simply fail to plan!!!

Comment

• D1353L
                • Aug 2011

Vantage pro freezing up.

Just recently I have had problems with my Vantage Pro freezing up. It has happened twice. I wait and wait, but the operating system doesn't unfreeze. I have to remove the battery to get the system to shut off or unfreeze. I was wondering if the 4GB memory card in slot 2 has something to do with it. Also wondering if anybody has had problems with their Vantage Pro freezing up. Oops, somebody has already posted an answer previously. I guess I'll just remove the 4GB card and use an old card from updating
                Last edited by D1353L; 03-31-2012, 11:28 AM.
                Albert Einstein

Comment

• D1353L
                  • Aug 2011

Still Freezing

Took out the 4 GB CF card and put in an old update card and was working fine, until yesterday my Vantage Pro froze up again. Had to remove battery to get it to unfreeze. Guess I won't use the CF 2 card slot.
                  Last edited by D1353L; 06-05-2012, 09:08 PM.
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...