Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • r.burgy
    • Jan 2010

02 Taurus cal 2 misfire

Was brought to shop with new plugs , wires,and coil pack.did compression check ok.changed 2&3 wires to rule out bad wire.ultimately changed fuel injector.did not solve problem.checked inj harness with nod lite --- flashed fine.any suggestions for me please?
    R.burgy
  • dave-m
    • Feb 2011

Check for vacuum leak in the area around intake runner for cylinder 2.

Comment

• r.burgy
      • Jan 2010

Cyl 2 misfire

Yea sprayed entire engine for vac leak,also replaced manifold gasket(upper) when injector was done.thanks for thought
      R.burgy

Comment

• SnapOnKid
        • Jan 2011

You said you swaped wires, what about plugs? Are they the correct ones? Did you try swapping those around? Had this on an exploder. New plug, bad electrode... Ran rough on start up and would miss under load...

Comment

• Rich Barton
          • Sep 2007

Modis Power

Can you save us a Scope Movie?

I would hook to the #2 plug wire with the Scope Secondary Lead and from that we can see what is going on.

Why work so hard when you got the Modis to make it easy?
          Rich Barton
          C.R.B. Repair

Comment

• r.burgy
            • Jan 2010

old job had modis,now i have solus pro.not real sure if this is able to scope the same as the modis or not.(no time too busy).i replaced plugs.it had bosch plugs with 4 electrodes and i couldnt gap properly.so yes new plugs.swaped wires.someone else put coil and wires on it.injector wasnt within specs.thats why i replaced that..thought that would take care of it but to no avail.i believe it is either in the quad driver or the injector wiring.noid light blinks when cranking,but it only missfires with a load on it.the compression test was within spec too.i posted this in hopes someone ran into this before.google is loaded with tauruses that have number 2 missfire only. thanks all ideas.i appreciate it
            thanks guys
            r.burgy

Comment

• lancepoulin@msn.com
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by r.burgy
              Was brought to shop with new plugs , wires,and coil pack.did compression check ok.changed 2&3 wires to rule out bad wire.ultimately changed fuel injector.did not solve problem.checked inj harness with nod lite --- flashed fine.any suggestions for me please?
              R.burgy
              have you reset kams. ive been there. all new motorcraft parts but still missed because i didnt reset kams. ecm was still inshut down mode to protect cat

Comment

• jteck1
                • Aug 2011

02 Taurus

Check For A Good Blue Spark. Have Ran Into Defective Aftermarket Coils. Firing One Cylinder But Not The Partner Cylinder. On The Six Pack Coils.THEY ALSO HAVE COIL CONNECTOR PIGTAIL PROBLEMS.
                Last edited by jteck1; 09-10-2011, 06:21 PM. Reason: MORE INFO

Comment

• MIKE007
                  • May 2009

I recommend original motorcraft sparkplugs (from the dealer only).I always have alot of cars with missfire, and most of them are faulty aftermarket plugs. If you have original motorcraft plugs on the car, you may have problems with the head.

Comment

• jkujawa762
                    • Sep 2011

yes, if you fixed the ignition misfire you must reset the PCM. Ford will shut down the injector for the CAT. Also it is possible that your have a down cylinder still. A static compression test only tests the ability for the the cylinder to seal. You must also do a running compression to rule out valve springs,flat cams..ect. A running compression test verifies the ability for a cylinder to breath.

Comment

• Orevin
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by jkujawa762
                      yes, if you fixed the ignition misfire you must reset the PCM. Ford will shut down the injector for the CAT.
                      This is only partially correct. If a misfire is detected, the PCM shuts down the injector for 30 seconds. After that time, the injector is activated again. If the misfire is still present, this cycle starts over again, until the misfire is no longer present.
                      -Kai-
                      Chicago, IL

Comment

• Seminolespear83
                        • May 2012

Originally posted by Orevin
                        This is only partially correct. If a misfire is detected, the PCM shuts down the injector for 30 seconds. After that time, the injector is activated again. If the misfire is still present, this cycle starts over again, until the misfire is no longer present.
                        Hes right the Kam reset is only helpful with fuel trims and o2 readings, do you have extra ign coil lying around? I always keep a used one even if it has a dead cyl just to veryify! I have had a lot of aftermarket coils fail under load brand new(napa) when it comes ford ignition systems use only motorcraft parts!

Comment

• D1353L
                          • Aug 2011

I would check running compression on the suspect cylinder and then check a known good cylinder to reference. If running compression is low, suspect weak valve springs. Also do an internal vacuum leak test to check to see if an intake runner is leaking vacuum only at the misfiring cylinder. Internal vacuum leaks are only possible on v-type engines
                          If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...