Vantage Ultra and Vantage Pro same price?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Modis500
    • Sep 2012

I highly doubt this will happen, because when they still had the Verus Wireless on the site the same time as the Verus Pro, it did the same thing. And a few short weeks later, the Wireless was gone. Just my findings....but if they did do this at that price, that would be worth getting a spare for the shop
    Tom
    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
    Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Vantage Pro no longer available on Snap On Web site?

I was on my way to the Junkyard today to look for a used driver side seat for a Grand Cherokee, and saw the Local Snap On dealer truck parked at a local auto repair shop. I bought a new 13mm impact swivel socket , ordered a zero offset long 10-11 wrench, had a broken 3/4 to 1/2 adapter replaced while he was updating an older Modis with Euro to 14.2.
      I inquired about discounted Vantage Pros and He believes Vantage Pros have not been available for awhile. Whether Snap On is still sitting on hundreds of them to clear out at some future date after the initial teething problems resolved with The Ultras and reps have time to sell off the Vantage Pros they take in on trades for Trick Looking New Vantage Ultras before the bottom falls out and it becomes a buyer's market for Vantange Pros. I think I'm gonna lay low holding off buying used to see if I can snag a steeply discounted new Vantage Pro for $1300 versus paying a grand for a used one needing an update.
      I read somewhere that some folk bought Vantage Ultras at a promo introductory price of 2 grand , so why not a Good buy Good by Farewell half price clearance of remaining Vantage Pros for only $1300? LOL

Comment

• maven
        • Mar 2014

I don't see the VP going on promo. I can't think of a precedent that would lead one to believe it would happen either....Solus, MODIS, Verus, Vantage, cordless tools....none of these items have been "discounted" to my knowledge when replaced. Doing so would likely be seen as devaluing the model within SnapOn. Pro inventory was probably already at a sufficiently low level at the Ultras launch so that its current sales rate would deplete stock as the Ultra was ramping up, as to keep distributors from being inclined to order large numbers of Pros and not push the new Ultra.

Comment

• SPS10.4
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Witsend
          a buyer's market for Vantange Pros. I think I'm gonna lay low holding off buying used to see if I can snag a steeply discounted new Vantage Pro for $1300 versus paying a grand for a used one needing an update.
          No buyers' market in sight for a used Vantage Pro with later software. It's going to take a while for all the eBay sellers to calm down after the results of the last 30 days. I would make a standing offer to your dealer. "Hey, if you get any used Pros in with later software or clean units that can be updated, let me know".

Comment

• maven
            • Mar 2014

Originally posted by SPS10.4
            "Hey, if you get any used Pros in with later software or clean units that can be updated, let me know".
            Exactly what I told my dealer, to keep an eye out for any VPs.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Used Pros still pricey I'm considering a MT 3100 a la Snap on carte

Other than not being too portable and having guided diagnostics on it , what's not to like about an MT 3100 ? What should I look out for before buying a used one? Can I still get COP adapter set and a 500 PSI pressure transducer that works with it? Seems like scrap value of an MT3100 would command more than a VP at least.

Comment

• Modis500
                • Sep 2012

A V Pro is a little bit, but so worth it. $550 or so can get a nice used one.... Or do $200 for a Vantage MT2400. Does most of the Pro, just a smaller screen.
                "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
                Zig Ziglar

Comment

• SPS10.4
                  • Aug 2012

Other than not being too portable and having guided diagnostics on it , what's not to like about an MT 3100 ? What should I look out for before buying a used one? Can I still get COP adapter set and a 500 PSI pressure transducer that works with it? Seems like scrap value of an MT3100 would command more than a VP at least.
                  I'll assume you are referring to the MT3000 Counselor. I think the MT3100 is a gas analyzer. There is an interface available for around $200 called the MT1658.

What about a Hantek? Eight channels for under $100, what could possibly go wrong?

Seriously though, there are some older version VPs available for around $700. Keep searching.

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

It is a MT 3000 not 3100

It's called a Counselor 2, It appears to include a pricey looking Octopus distributor less secondary ignition wire abortion with a hook and some other adapters. Hope the thing isn't a total waste of my time going to look at it.

Comment

• SPS10.4
                      • Aug 2012

The octopus is the MT1658 (for older Counselors) or MT3000-340A (for the Counselor II). The tentacles clip on to each plug wire. I have no idea if it can be rigged to work on COP. The MT3000 Counselor II has a self-test feature to verify internal circuits. Ask the seller to perform this test.

Comment

• Crusty
                        • Dec 2007

It's called a Counselor 2, It appears to include a pricey looking Octopus distributor less secondary ignition wire abortion with a hook and some other adapters. Hope the thing isn't a total waste of my time going to look at it.
                        It won't pick out a cracked spark plug-!! Saw it first hand when another really good tech at a dealer that had one chased his fanny for two days. As a scope.....poor at best.
                        If someone gave it to me I MIGHT spend the electricity to turn it on, but that's about it.
                        V-pro any day, even with its' faults

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

MT 3000 Counselor 2

Thanks SPS 10.4 for the info about the internal circuit test feature on the MT 3000, and Thanks Crusty for your opinion of it as a scope. Sound like you can only view patterns in real time and not record and view in SSC frame by frame to catch a drop out not visible to the human eye, but most newer cars have misfire count data available and I would concentrate the scopes resources to retreiving just the trace of only the suspect cylinder with hi missfire counts instead of all 8, and the plug would be looked at first because I would probably be too lazy to hook up scope after the novelty of having it wears off tripping over the cables, LOL.
                          As for them COP adapters I think the EEIG100A set is what I would need to look for on E bay if I do get the MT 3000. An EEIG100A just sold on Ebay pretty damned cheap.I'm a bottom feeder
                          The passage of time does make some desirable old tech more accessible , but I wasn't going to bid on an adapter set without having the old scope for it yet, LOL

Last edited by Witsend; 05-01-2014, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• Wheel
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
                            It won't pick out a cracked spark plug-!! Saw it first hand when another really good tech at a dealer that had one chased his fanny for two days. As a scope.....poor at best.
                            If someone gave it to me I MIGHT spend the electricity to turn it on, but that's about it.
                            V-pro any day, even with its' faults
                            the guy may have been a good tech, but sounds like he couldn't use the Counselor to the best of its abilities. I have one of these and REALLY like it for ignition work. It will pick out cracked plugs if you know how to manipulate it and interpret the readings. It has some features I wish the handhelds had and vica versa. The labscope IS better in the handhelds as you say. I'm just glad I have both.
                            You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Crusty
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Wheel
                              the guy may have been a good tech, but sounds like he couldn't use the Counselor to the best of its abilities. I have one of these and REALLY like it for ignition work. It will pick out cracked plugs if you know how to manipulate it and interpret the readings. It has some features I wish the handhelds had and vica versa. The labscope IS better in the handhelds as you say. I'm just glad I have both.
                              Nope, Tony and I would fix vehicles that had been TRANSPORTED to the dealership we were at and either we fixed it or the parent company was buying a car back. They never had to buy any back......
                              To add to that, the shop foreman at the time had a photographic memory and was an amazing tech in his own right. He then went to work in the research department for the parent company.
                              There was no question of "user error" at all. Tony and Ross and I discussed this "problem child" vehicle at length and Tony and I would "experiment" with the machine's capabilities both before and after this incident. The SnapOn "trainers" even got a few lessons about real world testing.
                              They would not believe their incredible machine wouldn't pick out a cracked plug until I installed the cracked plug in an identical engine and showed them. Tony had done everything right and then I got handed the job. I knew Tony hadn't failed in his techniques other than believing what the machine DIDN'T show.
                              I simply went back to basics and VISUALLY found the offending spark plug. It was small but it was there and the machine didn't pick it out.
                              The machine simply did not perform as advertised.

Comment

• Witsend
                                Banned
                                • Nov 2012

Well I bought the archaic thing anyway

MT3000A, I picked up today , self tests passed , cheap. It looks to be in amazing condition and remote worked when I tried it .It's supposed to have capability to run my an MT2500, or OTC scanner, off it ,but needs some sort of optional cable that goes from serial port A of the MT3100 to the scanner. I believe It has some sort of null adapter thingy that fits in between somewhere.
                                If anyone knows how to do it. My old MT2500 has dark spots on parts of it's screen and be nice to just use it off the scope display screen.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...