Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toddsmotorhomes
    • May 2013

Shopstrean trojan warning

I,ve just downloaded the latest version that seems to be suitable for windows 8.1 but when I run the program my Norton Anti-virus stops it and removes it saying that it has detected a Trojan in the software. Anyone encountered this?

Tony
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by toddsmotorhomes
    I,ve just downloaded the latest version that seems to be suitable for windows 8.1 but when I run the program my Norton Anti-virus stops it and removes it saying that it has detected a Trojan in the software. Anyone encountered this?

Tony
    Don't know if this link will work.

IATN, SnapOn forum, see Rich's reply in there.
    HTH

Comment

• toddsmotorhomes
      • May 2013

Many thanks for that, link works (after I registered) will try and re-install later today if I get time.
      Tony

Comment

• chaskuss
        • Dec 2009

Been There, Done That [with 12.4]

Tony,
        I had a similar false positive using ZoneAlarm. ZoneAlarm started out as a firewall product, but last year partnered with Kaspersky AntiVirus to offer a complete Firewall/Antivirus product which I use on three of my machines. See the story here.

You can make an "exception" for the update file, so that Norton will no longer see it as a threat.

Charlie

Comment

• chaskuss
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Crusty
          Don't know if this link will work.

IATN, SnapOn forum, see Rich's reply in there.
          HTH
          The problem with simply turning off your antivirus program so that you can install the updated software, is that the next time Norton scans your hard drive, it will freak out and quarantine the objectionable portion of the program, rendering it useless. You MUST create an "exception" [telling the antivirus program that this file is safe], otherwise, each time [generally weekly] it will quarantine part of the updated program.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

If Norton , AVG , Kaspersky , or any up to date Anti Virus Program thinks there is a Trojan in a program , I will just let the Anti Virus do it's thing and quarantine whatever it sees as the threat until either the software maker or the anti Virus program updates or makes a patch to do an automatic exception. I don't give a F@ck if I'm downloading a file from the Vatican telling me to start having safe sex with Trojans now , I'm not going to download and run anything with an unquarantined Trojan. The way that Sure Track Site seems to have all sorts of of strange Maladies, how do you or I know there isn't . If a disgruntled software writer seeing the writing on the wall wrote some kind of worm into stuff before jumping ship to Autel or Launch. Snap On probably wouldn't disclose something like that .
            Last edited by Witsend; 11-26-2014, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• chaskuss
              • Dec 2009

Just because it waddles like a duck & quacks like a duck .....

Originally posted by Witsend
              If Norton , AVG , Kaspersky , or any up to date Anti Virus Program thinks there is a Trojan in a program , I will just let the Anti Virus do it's thing and quarantine whatever it sees as the threat until either the software maker or the anti Virus program updates or makes a patch to do an automatic exception. I don't give a F@ck if I'm downloading a file from the Vatican telling me to start having safe sex with Trojans now , I'm not going to download and run anything with an unquarantined Trojan. The way that Sure Track Site seems to have all sorts of of strange Maladies, how do you or I know. If a disgruntled software writer seeing the writing on the wall wrote some kind of worm into stuff before jumping ship to Autel or Launch. Snap On isn't going to disclose something like that .
              Whoa! Easy there. Just do a little online research, as I did when I ran into a false positive for a Trojan during my update. The tip off is when you see the word generic somewhere in the name your antivirus program gives for the "alleged" trojan/virus. That means the antivirus program does not have any specific info that it's dangerous. It means that some aspect of what the code does "looks like" a virus to Norton/Kaspersky/Avast/etc. They build a sort of "common sense" into these programs. The idea being to give them a chance to spot new virus' based on how they act. Sometimes they get a little to aggressive. When that happens, you can usually determine if it's a false positive with a Google search. Norton & it's competitors will make corrections to their programs IF their customers start calling and asking/reporting this stuff. Basically, if the customers make enough noise, it gets fixed. Since Snap On's software is not high volume, it may fall through the cracks and get ignored. [low priority] You do what you think is best.
              Last edited by chaskuss; 11-27-2014, 06:22 AM.

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

If the program being installed is expensive , time consuming to install , and not easy to download all over again for no charge , some time spent checking to verify if a perceived threat is real or not would be time well spent before you decide to let the anti virus program remove it, or just test run it on something like this if you aren't sure.

Comment

• chaskuss
                  • Dec 2009

Best fix is to let the experts know there is a problem

In the linked thread in my first post, I mentioned that I tested the "suspect" Snap On update file on my laptop, which has Avast & Malware Bytes [great software] installed. Once I had scanned the file using Avast, Malware Bytes & Windows Defender and all decided it was not a virus, I then Googled the "alleged" Trojan. I found that it was a common false positive.
                  Probably the best course of action with a suspect file, would be to contact your antivirus software company via email. Explain the issue you are having and attach the file to the email. Let the experts scan it. If they realize it's a false positive, hopefully, they will make a correction in an update to their software. Nothing gets fixed if no one reports the issue to the guys writing the code. If Norton's code writers have an issue with the Snap On [or any other company's] software, they will notify them of the issue, so that it gets corrected. Microsoft used to be infamous for this. That's why they had patches upon patches! Windows 7 is a lot better.
                  If you had bothered to reference the link that Crusty had earlier posted, you would have noticed that "Richard" has also told the original poster to create an exception for the false positive. My second reply was to address the "fix" the original poster in the IATN thread in Crusty's link used as a work around. He simply disabled his Norton antivirus software during the update process.
                  Better to light a single candle, than curse the darkness.
                  Last edited by chaskuss; 11-27-2014, 06:22 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

Thanks Charlie , Happy Thanks Giving everybody, and a toast to 300lb ex wives you don't want to catch up with.

Comment

Working...