Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WaldoSSA
    • Jan 2008

Modis low amp probe

I have a 94 Buick with a hot soak no start. I tried using my Modis and low amp probe to check for a cam signal at the ECM. if I go into the cam sensor test, nothing comes up on the lab scope. If I go straight to the lab scope I still get no signal unless I go down to 10amps. But then I get a wave form patern all the time, even if I remove the low amp probe from the vehicle. I then checked for a crank signal at the ign. mod. and all I could get was an ignition type signal every time a cylinder fired. What am I doing wrong?
  • Christopher
    • May 2007

Well normally cam signals are checked with voltage. Is there a reason for using a amp probe from the cam signal, the amps drawn I would imagine would be very little.

Do you try back probing it and see what you got??

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

Hi Waldo,
      you definitely can't use a low amps probe to check a cam sensor. It only produces trace amerage. If you used the lab scope test in the modis to check the camshaft sensorvoltage, and no signal appeared, I might suspect it had a bad cam sensor. Of course, make sure to check the power and ground to the sensor (especially the ground on that car) before you condemn it.
      Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

Working...