Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sledfreek76
    • Jun 2012

Altusdrive authorization key?

Hello, Im disappointed.... Bought a thermal camera and a Modis Edge and cannot get thru the Altudrive Authorization key it asks for. I dont have one! Was not given one! Where is this authorization key located? Thankyou
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Have you tried calling the help desk? 1-800-424-7226

With the Modis edge the info should be in Tools on the main menu and then Altus setup. I don't have the newer Thermal camera so I can't comment on that tool.

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
      Snap-on D&I
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Steve6911
      Have you tried calling the help desk? 1-800-424-7226

With the Modis edge the info should be in Tools on the main menu and then Altus setup.
      Starting with 18.4 software

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

What ?Authorization key , just to email pre and post scan reports? Sounds like some convoluted 2nd party service that will require you keep your software subscriptions current or you'll be sending photos of your screens with your smart phone.

Comment

• Steve6911
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
          What ?Authorization key , just to email pre and post scan reports? Sounds like some convoluted 2nd party service that will require you keep your software subscriptions current or you'll be sending photos of your screens with your smart phone.

Yes an Authorization key. There needs to be some way of telling who's scanner is sending in a report and a way for it to go into your account and not someone else's. As it keeps all your uploads unless you delete them. Do you have a better way???

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Yes an Authorization key. There needs to be some way of telling who's scanner is sending in a report and a way for it to go into your account and not someone else's. As it keeps all your uploads unless you delete them. Do you have a better way???
            I guess It be a good way for Snappy to cover their butt against liability from What IF potential damage that could happen from malware or a Virus sent via a Verus if pre scanned for malware beforehand by a second party site, and all sent files a shop owner wants his customer information staying confidential from his employees using the shop scanner but don't seem to make sense if the scanner is your personal scanner you just want to send a report to Joe Smoe you know directly and not have to call and advise him not to delete some files in his Spam box sent from some Altusdrive.com site relegated as Spam and also be dependent on a having a current software sub for the feature to even be able to work, just to send a scan report by email?
            Last edited by Witsend; 11-05-2018, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• Steve6911
              • Feb 2007

I guess It be a good way for a shop owner to keep and ensure his customer information stays confidential from his employees using the shop scanner but don't seem to make sense if the scanner is your personal scanner you just want to send a report to Joe Smoe you know directly and not have to call and advise him not to delete some files in his Spam box sent from some Altusdrive.com site relegated as Spam and also be dependent on a having a current software sub for the feature to even be able to work, just to send a scan report by email?

You do not seem to have an understanding of how this works. How would it keep customers information away from employee? The code scan is still on the tool as well. It is a cloud based tool were you can keep your files instead of on the tool or PC. Here is how I use it, say I have a mobile job, I go to the shop and run my code scan, I do what I have to and then run another code scan showing the work is complete. I go into the shops office, log onto my account and print out the reports. No need to have SSC on their PC or go back to my shop to print and fax it, or no need to put it on my PC to email it. It's fast and simple and as you proclaim to be a bottom feeder you should like the fact that I am using the other shops printer ink or toner and not mine.

Comment

• sbreland73
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Steve6911
                as you proclaim to be a bottom feeder you should like the fact that I am using the other shops printer ink or toner and not mine.
                HaHA. It's harder for someone who does not have the tool in front of them, or has never held one to fully comprehend some of these discussions.
                S. Breland

Comment

• Steve6911
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Rich Shepherd
                  Starting with 18.4 software

THANKS for adding that in for me Rich!

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

You do not seem to have an understanding of how this works. How would it keep customers information away from employee? The code scan is still on the tool as well. It is a cloud based tool were you can keep your files instead of on the tool or PC. Here is how I use it, say I have a mobile job, I go to the shop and run my code scan, I do what I have to and then run another code scan showing the work is complete. I go into the shops office, log onto my account and print out the reports. No need to have SSC on their PC or go back to my shop to print and fax it, or no need to put it on my PC to email it. It's fast and simple and as you proclaim to be a bottom feeder you should like the fact that I am using the other shops printer ink or toner and not mine.
                    I delete my Max Cyst history clutter after 6 months, I could save the Sh@t to Cloud , but no need for any cloud, unless the cloud be coming off some good Sh@tYes, ,.i love direct emailing reports to save paper and ink.
                    Folk been sending Pre Scan and Post scan reports in PDF form directly to customers email since 2013 and the Cyst Pro is already discontinued History and no longer made. I have seen a lot of videos and I love the Zeus and the Edge but probably not be able to keep the update subscription current to keep all the internet based features that make it cool to continue to function after update period is over. I assume after the update is expired , there still will be a way to save and e mail customers reports from the tablet if you can no longer have access to the Altusdrive.com cloud?
                    Last edited by Witsend; 11-05-2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Steve6911
                      • Feb 2007

I delete my Max Cyst history clutter after 6 months, I could save the Sh@t to Cloud , but no need for any cloud, unless the cloud be coming off some good Sh@t
                      Folk been sending Pre Scan and Post scan reports in PDF form directly to customers email since 2013 and the Cyst Pro is already discontinued History and no longer made. I have seen a lot of videos and I love the Zeus and the Edge but probably not be able to keep the update subscription current to keep all the features that make it cool to continue to function ::rolleyes

Well that might be fine for you but some people like to keep their files, and with this feature it will help keep "clutter" off of the tool and pc while still retaining those files.

Also this was a post about a member having trouble setting up he's Altusdrive so why are we once again bringing up your Autel???

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

I just see the potential Security benefit of a Second Party Cloud based database for possibly auto filling in your customer's private phone #s , e-mail , or address based on the VIN #so any tech working for you can't just see it, and it could serve as a safe guard or making sure the uploaded files contain no virus or malware from an infected Windows based tablet that could potentially infect a customer's PC.

Comment

• Steve6911
                          • Feb 2007

I just see the potential Security benefit of a Second Party Cloud based database for possibly auto filling in your customer's private phone #s , e-mail , or address based on the VIN #so any tech working for you can't just see it, and it could serve as a safe guard or making sure the uploaded files contain no virus or malware from an infected Windows based tablet that could potentially infect a customer's PC.

This is what my tools print out, maybe the Zeus is different.

VSR.JPG

I see NO security issues here. Also I don't own the shop I work at but if any tech here couldn't be trusted to see customer information I wouldn't want them working ANY car here. They would be let go real fast.

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

I see NO security issues here. Also I don't own the shop I work at but if any tech here couldn't be trusted to see customer information I wouldn't want them working ANY car here. They would be let go real fast.
                            I agree with you , but a large shop with a lot of techs , you never know which of your really good ones are ready to quit and move on anyhow and open their own repair shop 4 blocks away and take a good chunk of your shop's customer base along with them . Do you really want to make it easy for these good guys along with any Bad Apples , take advantage of your customer info readily displayed on their copies of the RO's and the shop's go to Snap On Scan Tools displays all their contact information and address along side the car information also ? I do not see that information on the printed scan, but not sure if the email or phone number needs to be entered first to send out the reports . You just never know, but even if the customer information was not put on mechanic's copy of the RO or on the Scan tool information for privacy reasons, chances are the tech has go digging through tampons for a wheel lock key or RPO code sticker, or a fuse location of owners manual, so any withheld info typically be staring him in the face anyhow, lol.
                            Last edited by Witsend; 11-05-2018, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

Also this was a post about a member having trouble setting up he's Altusdrive so why are we once again bringing up your Autel???
                              I'm not singing praises for any particular brand of Scanners, they all can be a POS at times and test your mettle not want to punch a hole in the screen.Lol. It's a nice feature to be able to send out a before and after scan report but I think most of competitor tools also have the capability to send a pdf of a scan report directly to the customer or save to cloud without going through a second party website.
                              I am just trying to rationalize the thinking of Snap On of why it's set up to go through a second party site?
                              A) Data collection of commonality of fault codes per make model car and the part or repair notes of what the fix was?
                              B) All reports and attached files uploaded from the Windows based scantools to this web site will be additionally scanned for for any trace of Malware or a Virus as a extra safeguard against liability for both your shop and Snap On?
                              C)Moving to eventually Integration, The Vehicle information, Service Information, Diagnostic tool, and customer information protection soon be offered as one pay as you go shop package ?
                              The big question is...drum roll please... As a Individual with a Zeus , Not a Shop Owner with a go to Shop System for his employees, When 18.4 is over and 19.2 comes out and you aren't paying to update the platform further for awhile, Will this ability to e mail a scan report to the customer just time out and you only have a certain window of time to download all your rain cloud information before Zeus Lightening strikes and you no longer access your cloud information stored at this site or find an easy work around to send out scan reports any longer ?
                              Last edited by Witsend; 11-06-2018, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Working...