Modis Backlight Out

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vasau
    • Jul 2007

No. In my experience I've never seen any Modis with a broken backlight tube. Dropping Modis breaks bolt towers on the front cover, but it's not deadly as the front cover nuts stays on the bolts.
    On first 2-nd generation models Modises the screw that holds the navigation buttons circuit board just falls out over the years and shorts one of the CCFL circuit parts.
    The later 2nd generation models designed with a nut as the body itself and if the bolt gets loose the nut holds it on the navigation circuit board.

On your photo you've circled just the inverter transformer. The whole CCFL circuit a little bit bigger.

Comment

• jbakers1
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by vasau
      No. In my experience I've never seen any Modis with a broken backlight tube. Dropping Modis breaks bolt towers on the front cover, but it's not deadly as the front cover nuts stays on the bolts.
      On first 2-nd generation models Modises the screw that holds the navigation buttons circuit board just falls out over the years and shorts one of the CCFL circuit parts.
      The later 2nd generation models designed with a nut as the body itself and if the bolt gets loose the nut holds it on the navigation circuit board.

On your photo you've circled just the inverter transformer. The whole CCFL circuit a little bit bigger.
      One of my screws for the y/n buttons was rattleing around in the case so this my be the problem i'm waiting for the ccfl tester to show up before i go any further with replacing the display or tube. has any one repaired the ccfl circuit before with out replaceing the mobo?
      jbakers1, Yakima Wa
      I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Comment

• chaskuss
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by vasau

You are correct that I only circled the inverter circuit, as next to a bad back light tube, it's the most likely thing to fail in the video circuit. I can understand how a loose bolt or other piece of conductive hardware could do a lot of damage if it contacts circuits on the mother board. That makes sense to me, now.
        Regarding the mounting screw towers that hold the case halves together, I've seen that. My buddy Joe is abusive to his tools. I had to fix several of the case towers in his unit, using epoxy. See photo below.

A simple and easy fix, if caught in time.

Charlie

Comment

• adaptz
          • Dec 2016

Half Screen Gone

Hi Charlie,

I have been working on a MODIS with an intermittent screen problem. After a couple minutes of being powered ON, exactly half of the top screen goes black. It will sometimes come back on and stay on. I did a thermal image test and the CCFL Inverter you noted showed to be warm. I believe the backlight is fine. I am wondering if this inverter would be the cause of this. My next step was to look at a replacement inverter. The number on the side of the inverter is "47c805g". I can't find anything on this online.

Have you had any luck ever replacing this component?

Thank you

Originally posted by chaskuss
          More likely that any noises are caused by a broken back light tube. Imagine a fluorescent lamp that's about 1/8" in diameter. An item like that is quite fragile. I've circled the CCFL inverter circuit on the mother board below.

You will have an awfully hard time convincing me that this area of the mother board is more likely to break into loose parts, rather than an 1/8" diameter glass tube. Did this happen on your Modis? Any photos?

Charlie

Comment

• vasau
            • Jul 2007

I'll try to answer you if you don't mind.
            The CCFL circuit has nothing to do with your problem.
            Either it works properly or it doesn't work. It's a lamp (backlight).
            I had a similar issue on one modis i was repairing. There were multi color stripes on the half of the screen. The culprit was the ribbon LCD cable.
            Check your cable. The screen itself is a good quality product as i have noticed, except the back light.

Comment

Working...