Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akmck
    • Mar 2014

Modis Ultra OBDI adapters

I'm thinking about upgrading from a Solus Pro to a Modis Ultra but am sorry to see it's sold w/o OBDI cables and adapters. Sad to see Snappy, that you choose that route.

Anyone know if the old OBDI adapters will work on the Modis Ultra IF I purchase the OBDI cable with the unit? I have an extra set of adapters and I know the cable going into the Modis is different from the Solus Pro. I'm hoping that the cable is all I'll need. If not, it appears I'll need a cable and two separate adapter packages to the tune of just under $500!

Thanks
  • maven
    • Mar 2014

The old adapters arent designed to carry the current required to charge the new Ultras/V's from what I understand. (the ModisUltra adapters are 2row 15pin, but I dont know if function is same)
    My dealer/diagknow truck guy threw in all the OBD1 adapters as part of my sale, there was no way I was spending $6000 and only having generic OBD2 connector.

PS: if you upgrade to Euro you wont need to buy the OBD1 cable LOL

Comment

• ASE Doc
      • Mar 2014

I still have the original adapters from my 1999 MT2500. They all work with my Modis Ultra and the DA-5 cable.

EDIT: OBDI vehicles are generally not equipped with a power source at the DLC. They do not charge the scan tool battery through the DLC cable. On the MT2500, you needed the power cord for these systems. Since the newer scan tools have an internal battery, they will allow you to diagnose the OBDI systems without a power cord.
      Last edited by ASE Doc; 03-28-2014, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by ASE Doc
        I still have the original adapters from my 1999 MT2500. They all work with my Modis Ultra and the DA-5 cable.

EDIT: OBDI vehicles are generally not equipped with a power source at the DLC. They do not charge the scan tool battery through the DLC cable. On the MT2500, you needed the power cord for these systems. Since the newer scan tools have an internal battery, they will allow you to diagnose the OBDI systems without a power cord.
        That is certainly true on some cars, however if you ever get a No-Communication issue on one, be sure to try the power adapter to see if communicates after supplying 12V
        Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• maven
          • Mar 2014

Still very happy I gt every adapter included, loving the MU.

Comment

• ASE Doc
            • Mar 2014

Between the Solus Ultra I had before and the Modis Ultra, I have diagnosed OBDI Toyota, GM, Ford. Nissan 2 doesn't count because it doesn't take a 12v power cable. So far, I have had no trouble on any of the vehicles.

On a side note, I am very pleased to see that software bundle 14.2 is going to include the Module Status, or read all DTCs test. This is one test that the old Mastertech had and that required me to dig the old pile out on a few vehicles because my otherwise awesome Modis Ultra wouldn't open up certain modules. This is going to expand the tool's capabilities quite a lot. I can hardly wait.

Comment

• maven
              • Mar 2014

The OneTouch full vehicle scan is a nice addition, but its of minimal use if it only works on the CAN network in a vehicle, and it would be awesome if it included an "expected" module list....I doubt it does.

Comment

Working...