Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

External monitor

Anyone else using an external monitor with their Verus Pro? If so, what size monitor do you use and are you satisfied with the three different resolution settings? Are you using clone or extended desktop mode? Thanks.
    Last edited by sbreland73; 04-11-2013, 06:29 AM.
    S. Breland
  • komobu
    • Feb 2009

I am using a generic hp 21 inch monitor. Much easier on 51 year old eyes. I keep my verus in the twin mode instead of the extended mode so if I have to move my verus, I don't have to adjust any settings.

Comment

• bugdoctor
      • Nov 2008

I have a 23" Samsung, I just plugged it in & kept all ajustments as is.
      then adjusted monitor to see better

Comment

• diesel71
        • Feb 2008

using hp w1907 here kept all adjustments the same,i use it most of the time to review movies or saved screen shots.

Comment

• ratchetman
          • Mar 2011

just got the docking station for the verus pro. I plugged it into my 17" monitor and all I can select is 1024x 768. Tried installing the driver for the monitor and no help. My Verus wireless would run the external montor at native rez (1280x1024). why won't this? Wiring diagrams look all crusty, NOT what I had in mind when buying a docking station. I was hoping to get a 24" monitor and run 1920x1080 but maybe not???

Comment

• sbreland73
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by ratchetman
            just got the docking station for the Verus pro. I plugged it into my 17" monitor and all I can select is 1024x 768. Tried installing the driver for the monitor and no help. My Verus wireless would run the external monitor at native rez (1280x1024). why won't this? Wiring diagrams look all crusty, NOT what I had in mind when buying a docking station. I was hoping to get a 24" monitor and run 1920x1080 but maybe not???
            Actually you can, if your not afraid to make a very small change in a config file. I had to do this after some digging with Intel, and got a Smasung 17" 1280x1024 @ 72Hz. Intel has this feature off by default, but it's no big deal. I will post the instructions so anyone who wants to view their external monitor at it's native resolution. Part of why I started this thread was to poll if anyone else was interested in this mod. Thanks.
            Last edited by sbreland73; 05-07-2013, 09:43 PM.
            S. Breland

Comment

• ratchetman
              • Mar 2011

I'm very interested. I have a laptop and the verus on my tool box. I would really like to have only the verus. Actually what I tried when I got the Verus wireless, but the network card was so bad I was stuck with two devices. Part of the reason I traded for the Pro. Lot's of improvements in the Pro, like a proper network card but then it went backward with the monitor support. I am actually thinking about using a 32" tv.

Comment

• jamess
                • Mar 2011

very interested in mod, I went crazy trying to find a monitor that will work well thanks.

Comment

• sbreland73
                  • Jan 2009

How to get your external monitor to display native resolution

So you want to take full advantage of your external monitor and use it's best settings, but your stuck with this:
                  20130426-0748-1.jpg

OK, first off, do this at your OWN risk! Please don't hold me responsible if it goes wrong, I have done this on my unit, and it works.

You will need to find a file called iegd.inf, you can use the search function in Windows or go directly to this folder:

My Computer > then C:\drivers\IEGD_10 .............\driver
                  20130426-1053-2.jpg

Find iegd.inf and double click it. It should open in notepad (if Windows asks you what to use to open this file, then select 'notepad').

Scroll down a bit more than half-way, you are looking for these strings:

HKR, ALL\1\Port\2\General , Edid, %REG_DWORD%, 0
                  HKR, ALL\1\Port\2\General , EdidAvail, %REG_DWORD%, 0

PLEASE make sure the lines you are looking at on your machine look like this.
                  Now change the "0" at the end after % to a "1".

In the menu bar at the top left, click "File", then "save".

That was the easy part.

Now click your Start button, then "run", in the box to the right of Open: type devmgmt.msc and click OK, this will open the device manager.
                  Click "Display adapters", then double-click "Intel US15 E..........."

20130426-1434-1.jpg

Now click the "Driver" tab:
                  20130426-1434-2.jpg

Now click the "Update Driver" button.
                  20130426-1434-3.jpg
                  Click "Install froma specific location(Advanced)", then Next

Click the button at the bottom for "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install", then Next.
                  20130426-1435-1.jpg

Now click the "Have Disk" button:
                  20130426-1435-2.jpg

Click the "browse" button:
                  20130426-1435-3.jpg

You are going to find that file you just changed, the iegd.inf
                  20130426-1435-4.jpg

When you find it in that browse box, click it, then Open, then OK, then Next.
                  A box may pop up about digital signature, click Continue Anyway.
                  You will see some progress bars, then it's finished.
                  Just click OK or close on all the open boxes, then you will see the "Must restart computer for changes to take effect", so restart the Verus and you will now have this:

ererererererer.JPG
                  As you can see, there are quite a few more choices, and depending on your monitor, it should auto-detect its capable resolutions for you to pick.

I hope I have explained this well enough for you all. If I left something out, or you need additional help, PM me and I will do my best to get you fixed up.Good luck, and enjoy your external monitor to its fullest!
                  Last edited by sbreland73; 05-07-2013, 09:34 PM.
                  S. Breland

Comment

• ratchetman
                    • Mar 2011

I had the IT manager at work try your solution he had to change these two lines as well as to others for that had \Port\4 instead of \Port\2

So these two

and these two

HKR, ALL\1\Port\4\General , Edid, %REG_DWORD%, 0
                    HKR, ALL\1\Port\4\General , EdidAvail, %REG_DWORD%, 0

Comment

• sbreland73
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by ratchetman
                      I had the IT manager at work try your solution he had to change these two lines as well as to others for that had \Port\4 instead of \Port\2

So these two

and these two

HKR, ALL\1\Port\4\General , Edid, %REG_DWORD%, 0
                      HKR, ALL\1\Port\4\General , EdidAvail, %REG_DWORD%, 0
                      Thanks for the update and additional information. Enjoy!
                      S. Breland

Comment

• ratchetman
                        • Mar 2011

been trying it out and I have to check and uncheck the extend desktop box in the display properties settings tab every time I dock and undock the tool. If not the touch screen thinks it's 1280x1024 and I can't use it. The other work around is to use a mouse and forget about the touch screen. I'm not impressed, this should be sorted out considering the price of these things.

Thanks sbreland73 for the instructions it was a step in the right direction.

Comment

• ratchetman
                          • Mar 2011

So..... no pen mount driver?

Comment

• sbreland73
                            • Jan 2009

Sorry, I looked it up, and it has since been updated further. Try at your own risk. Despite the Verus using XP Embedded, you MUST us the regular XP download.

The page from which this comes: http://www.penmount.com/down_2_1.php

I deleted my previous post due to thinking your (ratchetman) issue may not relate to this. I know I don't have ANY problems with the touch screen, external monitor, touch calibration, etc after setting everything up. My Verus stays on and docked most of the day, until I actually grab it and go drive in a vehicle. I don't have any icons on the external, and Atlas stays on the touch screen. The only part that's a bit annoying is screenshots, which when using "extended" mode, captures both screens.
                            Last edited by sbreland73; 05-07-2013, 09:39 PM.
                            S. Breland

Comment

• ratchetman
                              • Mar 2011

Thanks for the link. I tried the other driver and now the pointer jumps to the extended desktop when you touch the screen. I had to enable multiple monitors and then click on map touch screens. Then when prompted touch the verus screen and press s to skip on the extended monitor and presto everything is good.

Comment

Working...