X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

P0741 TCC stuck off 2000 Cadillac SLS

With my Port Freight 08 I was able to command the Caddie's TCC solonoid on and off at 99% duty cycle KOEO , and with my stethoscope I can hear an audible click through the rear pan of the trans, so I'm assuming the TCC circuit and TCC solonoid to be in working order and the trans to have a known TSB internal seal leakage issue The trans works in all 4 gears fine otherwise and the customer doesn't have cash to spend $2500 to fix a trans concern that affects a 5-10% reduction in highway MPG. I just want her through the test lane without a SEL and P0741 .
    Can I clear the code and always selecting D3 instead of D4 prevent the TCC strategy from occurring and the SEL from setting until after I get the damn monitors completed and car through the test lane?
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

You're just going to have to try it. The P0741 on that Caddy is not an easy one to fool. On most GM products if you keep the slippage down with light throttle the code won't set. That vehicle actually allows different slippage depending on engine load. I'm thinking you're gonna need a trans repair to fix it.
    that trans is also pretty quick about setting a P0742 if you lock it with the scanner.
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

You're just going to have to try it. The P0741 on that Caddy is not an easy one to fool. On most GM products if you keep the slippage down with light throttle the code won't set. That vehicle actually allows different slippage depending on engine load. I'm thinking you're gonna need a trans repair to fix it.
      that trans is also pretty quick about setting a P0742 if you lock it with the scanner.
      I'm going to clear code and try to consciously place it only in D3 position and check when at light throttle and over 45 mph at the TCC duty cycle pid to see whether or not the TCC gets any duty cycle commanded, or denied if it is not put in the D4 (overdrive position). Not sure it will even want to complete monitors or not if driven in D3 and denied shifting into overdrive.

Update: Even though I drove it in D3 The TCC is getting duty cycle at lighter load at steady speed. I guess I will take it for another 20 minute drive from a 10 minute idle from cold in the morning and see how many monitors remain to complete. Maybe get lucky
      Last edited by Witsend; 11-30-2015, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

My experience with GM cars is that they will run the monitors in D3, no problem.
        Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Completed the enough of the monitors driving in D3 the entire time to run it through. What I found and like about My area testing center is that it will not reject a car for just one incomplete Evap monitor (unless it had a failure before with a code relating to an evap failure.) customer is relieved that she doesn't have to get her trans done now, LOL
          Attached Files

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

The reason they allow one monitor incomplete (not ready) is they are allowing for the fact that EVAP systems will not even try to run if the ambient temperature is below about 37-F (or above about 84-F) such as during winter months.
            A vehicle may have a failure, repairs completed, drive cycles completed, and the EVAP won't even try to run for months until spring ambient temperatures are above the 37-F. If a vehicle is repaired during November to April, the people can't get their emissions test certificate to re-license the vehicle unless that monitor is allowed to remain incomplete.

Comment

Working...