X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carsnstuff
    • Feb 2015

Hobbyist and Solus 11.2

Hi there,

I'm a hobbyist who likes to work on my own vehicles. The newest vehicle I have is a 2008 Saturn. I also have a 99 Caravan and a 98 Ram 2500.

I currently have the ability to purchase a Solus with Bundle 11.2 and Asian coverage. The seller is asking $510. All in all the unit looks to be in good condition and includes 22 personality keys.

I wanted to get some opinion on the price, if it's fair. I don't expect to own anything newer than 2008 for quite a while. I watched a training on 11.2 and it appears the 11.2 bundle allows for programming GM keyfobs, which is a feature I could certainly use on the 2008 car (It's a Saturn). If that's the case, this unit would already start paying for itself since the dealer wants around $100 to program the fobs.

Thanks for your time.
  • SPS10.4
    • Aug 2012

I would stay away from the original SOLUS. I wouldn't even pay $150 for that unit.

Wait for a deal on a SOLUS Pro with Bundle 10.4 or higher. Make sure it comes with a battery charger and AC power adapter.

Comment

• carsnstuff
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by SPS10.4
      I would stay away from the original SOLUS. I wouldn't even pay $150 for that unit.

Wait for a deal on a SOLUS Pro with Bundle 10.4 or higher. Make sure it comes with a battery charger and AC power adapter.
      Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate a bit on why you would shy away form the original Solus? I appreciate the information

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

The original Solus was released a decade ago , hardware performance is marginal , has at least 3 successors to it and I think it will no longer be a supported with updates. I had one for a short time , it acted glitchy and froze during graphing at times, and I got pissed off because I was unable to make a back up software card, so I kept the MT2500 with European and got a DS 708 new for the cost of an updating and unlocking European on a 9 year old platform. I kind of miss the troubleshooter on Solus it's a nice feature to have when you need it.

Comment

• Modis500
          • Sep 2012

From a professional standpoint, the Solus Pro is a quick, rugged, very functional tool. The upside of the Pro is the rechargeable battery, the replaceable screen window, plus the CF slot to add JPEGS and movies for future reference. Plus they are possibly the best built for the money- what I mean is these things never have software or hardware issues like our Modis' or Verus' have. Occasionally the screen may have a backlight issue, but that's few and far between.
          Just my opinion... Owned one for over a year and no problems like other platforms.
          "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
          Zig Ziglar

Comment

• carsnstuff
            • Feb 2015

Thanks for all the feeback so far everyone. I've been looking at scan tools for a while now and I'm getting kind of burned out and just want to be done and have one. That being said, I don't want to fall victim to complacency and get a bad deal.

It's difficult because my budget is only about 500 right now, that's after upping it from 250 when I decided I might as well get a tool with bidirectional. Like I said in the thread title, I'm more of a hobbyist than a professional tech. I like to do things the professional way, but my "day job" is something entirely different.

I have to decide on the Solus in about 24 hours, or the offer is retracted. Do you guys/gals feel that the Solus is such a broken platform I should just continue biding my time? These things are still pretty pricey on eBay and the like, even with older software bundles.

It looks like 11.2 is the first bundle to allow keyfob programming on 2004-2010 GM vehicles, can anyone confirm this? The 2008 is a Saturn and it would be great if I could program replacement fobs.

I'm sure you folks get threads like this all the time, so thanks for being patient with me. I just want to make sure I'm not potentially being taken for a ride (lol car joke) on the Solus if I go for it. This will be my first "real" scan tool, and while I know that no tool will cover EVERYTHING, I'd like this to be something I can grow with as my skills grow.

Thanks again!

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

At the two-fifty to five hundred range, you're still in the B.S. code reader range.

The original Solus wasn't a bad tool but certainly lacked a lot.

The second version of the Solus is the Solus-PRO and is a decent piece of kit.
              ( best suggestion )

The third Solus is the Solus ULTRA and doesn't need personality keys and is another decent scan tool

The FOURTH incarnation is the Solus EDGE and personally isn't as d esireable as the PRO or the ULTRA.

The AUTEL DS-708 and their newer scan tool do a lot but they are Chinese....some like them some don't but the price is attractive.

Look into the Solus-PRO but UP YOUR PRICE RANGE or you would be better off paying the dealer their hundred bucks if that's all you need it for.

Comment

• carsnstuff
                • Feb 2015

Well thanks for all your help everyone. I did end up buying the Solus because it's within my price range. there is a Solus pro I'm watching too but those have been going for a lot more money (unless it's missing parts and has bad batteries).

If I find in the future I want more, I can always upgrade, it's just money after all, right? lol.

Comment

Working...