Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Transman
    SDE Member
    • Oct 2006

I understand now, when you are plugged in to your network then the wireless card is not used for the network, that is why you cannot connect to the modis. But if you are wireless into your network then the modis will see the laptop fine, correct? Transman
    We can be right or we can be wrong, But we don't learn from being right!

Comment

• Daddyo
      SDE Member
      • Oct 2006

wireless

My laptop will auto search and connect to the network when ever it is on.
      So if I plug in, Its like it is connected in both ways. the laptop works great.
      I just have to disable the wireless whenever I am plugged in, if I want to sync up with the modis, or unplug and turn the wireless back on . not sure why it does it. I have not tried to run both modis's on the same network at the same time, they run off of different routers in different departments. It may be something the modis views and does not like ? It lets me join in just by wireless , I wish I had an answer. I may change my settings to only manual search and connect to any networks , I have about 4 different systems or networks I may log onto at any given time , so I like the auto connect fetcure turn on my laptop, and I am not the main person or people using the modis and pc link day in and day out.
      Hope it cleared it up a bit and would like to hear from anyone who may of had the same issue and what they have done to deal with it.
      Thanks Daddyo

Comment

• Joshua Covington
        • Aug 2006

I'll take a swag at what might be going on. I'm not a network guy nor have I played one on TV.... So take my word with a grain of salt and do not use it for any business critical decisions.

I think though that if you have multiple nodes (PC, Printer, MODIS, etc.) connected to a network they all have to be able to support file-sharing and whatever else those settings shown in my screenshot below are.

So you are connected to a network, NOT another node directly, rather you are connected to a hub or a switch (switch is integrated into most wireless routers BTW). If file sharing is setup, you can see the folder in your "network neighborhood" so now you can see the other node and surf the net (basically). Bottom line though is that you are only using one network connection to connect to all this stuff.

Any node can only maintain a single connection. So... If you are connected to another node directly (such as modis connected to your laptop AND when you synchronizing) it will kick your other connection out.

I think.
        Snap-on Diagnostics
        Program Manager

Comment

• Daddyo
          SDE Member
          • Oct 2006

wireless

So do you think that it would make a difference in i plugged my wireless access point into the 4 port router rather than into the 16 port switch ?
          Daddyo

Comment

• Joshua Covington
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Daddyo
            So do you think that it would make a difference in i plugged my wireless access point into the 4 port router rather than into the 16 port switch ?
            Daddyo
            No, I'm afraid not. Basically what I'm trying to say in way too many words is, I think what's going on is your laptop wants to talk but it will only talk to one thing at a time.

Here's the screenshot I was talking about BTW. I forgot to upload it the first time.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Joshua Covington; 12-06-2006, 09:14 PM.
            Snap-on Diagnostics
            Program Manager

Comment

• Daddyo
              SDE Member
              • Oct 2006

If I follow you, its the modis that views my laptop as 2 different computers and will not sync until it only views one. So is that the reason I must turn off 1 of my connections.
              Same as I must disconnect one of the other computer sync connection so the modis only see one computer at a time?
              Thanks
              Daddyo

Comment

• Joshua Covington
                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Daddyo
                If I follow you, its the modis that views my laptop as 2 different computers and will not sync until it only views one.
                Thanks
                Daddyo
                I'm afraid not. Sorry for not being so clear but it is difficult to describe. Let me try something else. I'll post up a little later on the subject.
                Snap-on Diagnostics
                Program Manager

Comment

• Daddyo
                  SDE Member
                  • Oct 2006

Well I read your post again and I think I follow you better now ,I will research and bring it up with the IT guys and see if I can come up with a solution.
                  Its not a issue just a inconvenience.
                  thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...