Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scrappyloz
    • Jan 2012

Mt2500 generic obd ebod advice

A couple of weeks ago I decided that it was time I brought a scanner, and because I very rarely work or own cars 2005 onwards I decided that the mt2500 would be perfect.

Firstly it arrived with about 30 cartridges most of them which allow me to do early European cars of nearly every manufacture pre 1995 and pre 1998.

It also arrived with a Master Kit Gb cartridge which i found to have a lot of manufactures loaded onto it, 2x VCI V3.7 cartridges which i was hoping some one could explain to me further what they do, and a grey cartridge which says Global OBD-II/EOBD Vehicle Communication Software (MT25005500).

Now the Global cartridge is the one I am most interested in. I put it in my scanner and when holding the quick id button (when not even connected to a car) or when pugged into a car (I am using the dl-16 cable) it asks me to insert the s-7 key if using the dl-16 cable. On the next step it tries to communicate with the ecu but it keeps saying no connection, it makes no difference if the vehicle key is on or off.

I have tried it on a 1996 land rover discovery and a 2007 Vauxhall corsa and both times i get no connection.

Am i doing something wrong or is my cartridge limited to certain years of cars?

Any help would be great.
  • scrappyloz
    • Jan 2012

Surely somebody must have an idea?

Comment

• markt
      • Apr 2011

not sure about this old scanner now but with the vauxhall it will not comm due to ecu not being covered as it is much newer than the software so its ecu or comm protocol may not be covered.
      as for the landrover..again..its all about whether its covered in the cartridge software.
      might be worth a google or other internet search as to exactly what the cartridge covers.

Comment

• scrappyloz
        • Jan 2012

When i run my obd/eobd cartridge it says its version 4.1 so i assume this is an old version and you are correct about it not connecting to vehicles as new as 2007, I will test it on an older vehicle soon and post up the results.

Does anyone know why this cartridge is grey?

Also what is my vci cartridge for and is there any point in getting a pvci cartridge and how will this help me.

Thanks for the help so far

Comment

• crackerclicker
          • May 2008

for your main question about the obd2/eobd cartridge, most likely it won't comm with the vauxhall because of CAN. as for the rover, was rover obd2 in 1996? it may have had the obd2 connector, but i don't think it was functional. i suppose you could check the connector to see what cavities have pins.

in my opinion, the global cartridge was a waste because any one of the other primary cartridges could do obd2 generic as long as they were updated. i'm guessing that it is grey in color because it came from snap on industrial, or maybe was part of one of the 'special edition' mt2500s.

the 2 vci carts you have are the last of snapon's cartridge offerings (well, that is if they are the black programmable ones). they were programmable up to software version 9.2, i think. however, most people never updated that far because snap on was offering way better scan tools by then.

frankly, the mt2500 has very little use anymore. it can't be updated, it doesn't graph, and it has no more support from snappy. if you get a good opportunity i would recommend a solus pro.

Comment

• scrappyloz
            • Jan 2012

Your right about the land rover it has power going to the connector but nothing else so that rules out why the land rover doesnt work.

what year did v4.1 cover up to?

Both the vci cartridges are black and have stickers on that say v3.7. what are these cartridges and how do i use them?

cheers

Comment

• Eduardo
              Banned
              • Jan 2012

v4.0 or v3.0 as far as I know the first digit is the year. So v4.0 is 2004 and v3.0 is 2003.

As far as I know Snap-on never made software for MT2500 past year 2004. Even programmable ones go to 2003 max. Solus scanner had an option called 'legacy software' it makes the Solus scanner act like a MT2500 and they put the latest software in there that MT2500 ever had and it went only up to 2003.

cartridge which says Global OBD-II/EOBD Vehicle Communication Software (MT25005500).

If you look at the sticker it will say copyright C 2003 on the bottom, that means the cartridge was made in 2003 and does not cover anything past 2004. But it should at least give you reading of generic codes, use the old OBD2 adaptor with key K2 or K2a and it should read the codes.

When you fist boot up your MT2500 with that cartridge, does it say "generic OBDII 2008"?

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Eduardo
                v4.0 or v3.0 as far as I know the first digit is the year. So v4.0 is 2004 and v3.0 is 2003.

As far as I know Snap-on never made software for MT2500 past year 2004. Even programmable ones go to 2003 max. Solus scanner had an option called 'legacy software' it makes the Solus scanner act like a MT2500 and they put the latest software in there that MT2500 ever had and it went only up to 2003.

If you look at the sticker it will say copyright C 2003 on the bottom, that means the cartridge was made in 2003 and does not cover anything past 2004. But it should at least give you reading of generic codes, use the old OBD2 adaptor with key K2 or K2a and it should read the codes.

When you fist boot up your MT2500 with that cartridge, does it say "generic OBDII 2008"?
                The MT 2500 was supported with new software thru 2008 in the US.

Comment

• scrappyloz
                  • Jan 2012

It does indeed say copyright C2003 on the cartridge.

When i boot it up the first screen is about the scanner. i.e scan tool v2.2 copyright 1999 etc this shows for about 2 seconds.

The next screen says generic OBDII/EOBD (English) V 4.1

Because im in England all my keys are s keys not k keys.

regards

Comment

• Eduardo
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
                    The MT 2500 was supported with new software thru 2008 in the US.
                    Not true. I've never seen MT2500 go past 2003 on any car on any programmable cartridge. If you have a photo of a MT2500 screen where it shows asian to 2008, domestic to 2008?? I would love to see it?

Comment

• crackerclicker
                      • May 2008

Not true. I've never seen MT2500 go past 2003 on any car on any programmable cartridge. If you have a photo of a MT2500 screen where it shows asian to 2008, domestic to 2008?? I would love to see it?
                      sorry, don't have a picture. bob is correct, though. the programmables were indeed updateable to somewhere around 9.2 which would have covered 2008 to an extent. you probably haven't seen any because, as was noted earlier, most people did not continue to update them. by that time the modis and solus platforms were going strong, and most people went that route instead of wasting time with the outdated brick.

Comment

• sbreland73
                        • Jan 2009

"I have never seen." Just because one has never seen, does not mean it has never been.
                        Last edited by sbreland73; 01-23-2012, 10:01 AM.
                        S. Breland

Comment

• Eduardo
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by sbreland73
                          "I have never seen."
                          No habla ingles. I am not from Tejas

Comment

• jgarza83
                            • Jun 2008

I worked for Pep Boys for a few months and they indeed have a brick with 8.4 software. I know it was supported up to 9.2. My dealer did tell me he always tried not to sell the update. He would rather have his customers invest in a newer scantool than update one that wasn't going to be supported anymore.

Comment

• andyo15
                              • Apr 2011

Hi,i'm not an expert but i had one of these till recently,the 2.2 is the last unit you can get,it is the backlit version,there is a MTG2500 which is coloured and has graphing.The red cartridges were model specific and could not be updated but the black ones could-of course they don't update any more.The latest version in UK was 9.4 which was the last quarter of 2009,rare and expensive,i'm talking about the 'all makes pvci cartridge'.I had 8.4 which is the end of 2008-they seem to cover up to the previous year so mine covered up to 2007.You should easily get an all makes of 7.? which also has the generic obd and would just about make all your red cartridges obsolete,obviously to use the old carts you need the necessary leads and keys.Presume you are using a good DL16 lead with your keys and turning ignition on and picking correct model from the line up?.I now have an up to date Ethos and before i sold the Mt2500 i tested them side by side and even with the 8.4 there was very little difference but the old brick does function tests which the Ethos doesn't.I also paid good money for a troubleshooter cartridge, but it rarely had anything helpful if any info at all so i wouldn't waste money on that,if you need to connect to cars after 2005 you will end up needing the CAN 1 B lead by the way.Hope this is some help.

Comment

Working...