Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt
    • Dec 2008

Ignition lock cylinder Dakota

I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota 3.7L with a worn out ignition lock cylinder. R&R is pretty straight forward, but I am concerned about security relearn procedures post install. Will I need a factory grade scan tool to get security system to accept new part? Any help would be great before I commit to this job.
  • Glide
    • Jan 2015

Yes you will need Dodge tool,and as things are changing lately possibly LSID.

Comment

• Matt
      • Dec 2008

Thank you Glide. I will send this one to a shop with that type of security access.

Comment

• Matt
        • Dec 2008

Hey Glide, is there any aftermarket scan tools that can perform dodge/chrysler security tasks mentioned above, that you endorse?? There isn't a big demand for mopar security access issues in my shop, but it is slowly increasing.

Comment

• Glide
          • Jan 2015

Some claim success with Launch and Autel ,but I Have no experience with them.From what I have seen personally a wiTech or DRBIII is required.
          I don't see enough Chrysler programming to justify investing in either of these,but do have access to both if I find myself in a mess.

This info is from NASTF:

Vehicle security including key programming requires purchase of the needed code or PIN from www.techauthority.com through the MOPAR Key Code section. Security programming is allowed using a licensed Mopar Micropod with wiTECH software for CAN vehicles and the DRB-III OEM scan tool for pre-CAN vehicles. J2534 options will not be available for key programming until model year 2018.
          Last edited by Glide; 02-21-2019, 11:44 AM. Reason: added info from NASTF

Comment

• Matt
            • Dec 2008

Thank you.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

If an old 2005 Dakota were mine , and still have old programmed keys , I would just gut out all the old tumblers from the worn out cylinder and just reuse it gutted out. Any key would turn the cylinder,maybe no key in it at all, but it still wouldn't start without a programmed ignition key if it has SKIM

Comment

Working...