Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • autoguy1972
    • Jan 2013

can the ethos check timing?

i'm trying to get the timing set on my 97 grand Cherokee 5.2 after removing it but can find on the scanner anything timing related? anyone else have this scanner?
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

The timing is not adjustable on that engine. Turning the distributor does not change it.
    On engines that have timing adjustments you will need a timing light to check ignition timing. A scanner might give you a timing advance PID, but that number would most likely be additional timing advance, and not actual timing advance.
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• autoguy1972
      • Jan 2013

I believe it's not adjustable if you have never moved the distributor. In my case I took it out and need to put it back in the same spot at 0 degrees and need to use the scanner to do this

Comment

• crackerclicker
        • May 2008

Hmmm . . . the Ethos might have the cmp/ckp difference PID, but I seriously doubt it has the "Set Sync" option. That would be more of a Bi-directional control, which the Ethos doesn't support.

By the way, Joe is correct, the distributor adjustment has nothing to do with ignition timing, only fuel synchronization.

Comment

Working...