Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • regal99
    • Feb 2011

security error

I bought a modis software update off ebay and ran the update and all I'm getting is security error., please contact your snap on representative.

Any one have any ideas on what to do?

I have my version 7 CF card and the new one is 10.4

How do I downgrade?
    Can I reset something in the scanner?
    Last edited by regal99; 02-05-2011, 08:51 AM. Reason: spelling error
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by regal99
    I bought a modis software update off ebay and ran the update and all I'm getting is security error., please contact your snap on representative.

Any one have any ideas on what to do?

I have my version 7 CF card and the new one is 10.4

How do I downgrade?
    Can I reset something in the scanner?
    Regal99
    I hate to tell you this BUT..... I think you bought bad software. The CF card and only be used in one machine and is licensed to it. If someone copied their CF card and sent it to you it will not work. Do you still have the CF card that was in your Modis before you tried to update it? You will need that and call tech support on Monday. They will walk you through the steps to get you running again.

Steve

Comment

• regal99
      • Feb 2011

I still have the cf card. The version 7.4 card. Can you tell me the steps?

Comment

• Steve6911
        • Feb 2007

You should contact tech support 1-800-424-7226

Comment

• SnapOnKid
          • Jan 2011

You may have 1 of two issues. You may have an older modis that needs to have the mother board updated to the newer style or you may have gotten bad Junk off Ebay. Those cards have to be activated to the tool by an Authorized dealer.

Guys have tried to copy cards or swap them between tools and ended up frying the Scan tool.

Being that you missed so many updates your gonna need to call tech support as I'm sure there were changes to that need to be made withen the tool's software.
          Last edited by SnapOnKid; 03-13-2011, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
            • Jan 2011

I would like to put this out there in general for others looking to by software or scantools off ebay

Buyer Beware when it comes to Ebay. You can get some good deals but you can also get hosed.

My advice to others Shopping on ebay would be to Have the serial number on a scan tool verifed by a dealer. And only buy the Software updates directly from a dealer or through SnapOn's web site.

Just because a seller has a good reputation doesnt mean your getting the best deal. If you buy a scan tool that is stolen Or there is money still owed against it, you will end up loosing out when the catch you with the stolen goods. Recieving stolen property is a crime.

Same thing with software if you get a pirated copy and it frys your scan tool It will cost you money to have it fixed. Ebay and the seller could care less there only responsible for the initial purchase.

My S.O. dealer had a guy that thought they could by 1 update and copy it for every one else's tool in the area. Not only did he fry his scan tool by trying to copy the card but he fried his friends too! The repair was $1800 each tool he fried... Another guy on his route tried to do the same thing on the older mt 2500 and those are no longer supported...
            Last edited by SnapOnKid; 02-10-2011, 11:11 PM.

Comment

• vasau
              • Jul 2007

When I bought a Modis from ebay in 2006 it had a newest US bunde at that time. The description was saying that it was a display unit. May be, as the most accessories were still sealed.
              I communicated with the seller many times asking to send me more photos with Modis turned on and current date and time displayed. I bought it.
              Received as advertised. Later, when I finally had to scan a vehicle with a global-OBDII I received a message saying something like "You can not use 2 cartridges at the same time. Please remove one cartridge and try again".
              I updated my Modis to International bundle 7.2, but with no luck.
              I called Snap-on, spent 1.5 hour talking to peoples, transferred many times, until I reached the same person I started with. The person was tiring to transfer me again to somewhere else and I said "NO" that's enough.
              I than called Netherlands repair department and I was told to send it to them for repair.
              Didn't do it as it might take for ever.
              Finally found never touched 5.4 bundle on ebay and reset my scanner module with it. Newer bundles do not have required files to perform the reset.
              The most interesting thing is that I found my bought Modis listed again by someone else in a couple weeks after I bought it. I reported it to Ebay and they removed it.
              So, watch out!

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by vasau
                When I bought a Modis from ebay in 2006 it had a newest US bunde at that time. The description was saying that it was a display unit. May be, as the most accessories were still sealed.
                I communicated with the seller many times asking to send me more photos with Modis turned on and current date and time displayed. I bought it.
                Received as advertised. Later, when I finally had to scan a vehicle with a global-OBDII I received a message saying something like "You can not use 2 cartridges at the same time. Please remove one cartridge and try again".
                I updated my Modis to International bundle 7.2, but with no luck.
                I called Snap-on, spent 1.5 hour talking to peoples, transferred many times, until I reached the same person I started with. The person was tiring to transfer me again to somewhere else and I said "NO" that's enough.
                I than called Netherlands repair department and I was told to send it to them for repair.
                Didn't do it as it might take for ever.
                Finally found never touched 5.4 bundle on ebay and reset my scanner module with it. Newer bundles do not have required files to perform the reset.
                The most interesting thing is that I found my bought Modis listed again by someone else in a couple weeks after I bought it. I reported it to Ebay and they removed it.
                So, watch out!
                In some cases the older modis required a hardware upgrade to run the newer software. This is a known issue with the older modis. I believe the mother board had to updated. Other then loading an older version of software, did you ever send it in so you could use newer software?

Comment

• vasau
                  • Jul 2007

That was a newer Modis with a plastic scanner module.
                  In 2007 I installed 7.2 International, but nothing's changed.
                  A 5.4 bundle manipulation fixed the issue.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by vasau
                    That was a newer Modis with a plastic scanner module.
                    In 2007 I installed 7.2 International, but nothing's changed.
                    A 5.4 bundle manipulation fixed the issue.
                    I can't remember which was bad the plastic or the metal one. So do you still have this unit? Still running 5.4 software?

Comment

• vasau
                      • Jul 2007

1-st Modises used metal scanner modules. Since bundle ~ 5.2 they were replaced by plastic ones. The metal modules didn't support CAN protocol.
                      I'm still using the Modis for US market vehicles with 9.2 US bundle. I'm going to upgrade to bundle 11.2. This Modis looks like an old workhorse. The rubber around the tool is peeling off. "Yes", "No" buttons print are almost gone, though I use external keyboard most of the time.
                      I have never installed 5.4 bundle on that Modis. When I received 5.4 card from ebay I already had 7.2 international installed. When I started 5.4 bundle installation process, the Modis displayed a message saying something like "The software installed in the tool is newer than the one you are going to update with". After that I inserted my 7.2 version card back and did the upgrade process.
                      After those manipulations the global obd-ii and the selections of older vehicles menus like 1980-1999 began loading.

Comment

Working...