Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Scanner Capabilities
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 05-31-2018, 06:13 AM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
The information is available in the Dealer parts system very easily and quickly. Simply enter the VIN and the correct part number shows up.
No time is wasted IF you get a Dealer parts person who knows what they're doing.
Are there links to GM and other manufacturer websites that doesn't require a paid subscriptions and or a log in where I can just enter a vehicle VIN # and it will give me an as built list of all the specific RPO codes without me having to actually search for label or call the local dealer for the information? Even a link to a free PDF chart of the model ,year , The RPO codes and what they mean for given year/model can help at times where the glove box is locked or lots of things in rear of vehicle preventing access to find RPO code label? VW and German car Engine codes/ KW ratings is another PITA .
Old 05-31-2018, 02:43 PM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witsend View Post
Are there links to GM and other manufacturer websites that doesn't require a paid subscriptions and or a log in where I can just enter a vehicle VIN # and it will give me an as built list of all the specific RPO codes without me having to actually search for label or call the local dealer for the information? Even a link to a free PDF chart of the model ,year , The RPO codes and what they mean for given year/model can help at times where the glove box is locked or lots of things in rear of vehicle preventing access to find RPO code label? VW and German car Engine codes/ KW ratings is another PITA .
The short answer is NO
I wish there was.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:58 AM

SnapOnKid Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

There is a site but you have to pay... They have some reasonable options like 5 vins for $5 dollars. I have not used it since it went to a pay site so I don't have any experience with it. In the past, it was very helpful with a list of full RPO codes.

www.compnine.com
Old 06-04-2018, 08:10 AM

jables2006 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default New GM RPO Process

For 2018. Get your smart phone. Download a QR reader (recommended Data Matrix or I-Nigma) Scan the vin label (typically on the b pillar) Vin & all RPO codes should POP up. Thanks to ATRA for this info)
Old 06-05-2018, 09:20 AM

Tech_A Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witsend View Post
My Sister in law changes cars like her underware , and just out of curiosity I asked her if I could scan her new vehicle, and was able to auto VIN ID and auto scan a 2018 Chevrolet Trax with a the Max Cyst but There were multiple 1.4Lengine choices with some 3 digit letter codes to select from and also a couple different audio systems with 3 digit RPO code choices to select the audio system which was a PITA since I couldn't find where the damn RPO code label is on this model. Wasn't in glove box ,WTF
I was wondering if Snap On scanners, besides auto decoding the VIN#s to tell what the vehicle is, are able to save you time and auto pull the RPO code data and fill in the blanks for you without BS of having to look for some elusive RPO code label or call the dealer and just fill in the correct selection for you automatically?
Bluetooth and AutoID and scan feature is nice to have but more often than I care to , attach battery maintainer, I have to call VW dealer to get the engine codes I paint on next to the worthless VECI labels, Toyota I have to go Einee Meini on Laser Cruise yes or no and other cr@p selection promps to be entered before I can sit in the air conditioned office and scan the car and have a cold one while I wait for auto scan to complete.
I would assume auto RPO would be difficult since their is no easily identifiable standard. Unlike other manufacturers where the last 7 digits of the VIN or a combination of engine VIN and other vin characters can offer a greater insight to the vehicle's characteristics; such as the specific engine.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:25 AM

jables2006 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

If the vin label gets damaged or painted over, you can order a new one from GM.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:59 PM

BMW JEDI Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_A View Post
I would assume auto RPO would be difficult since their is no easily identifiable standard. Unlike other manufacturers where the last 7 digits of the VIN or a combination of engine VIN and other vin characters can offer a greater insight to the vehicle's characteristics; such as the specific engine.
I think those 'other manufacturers' have a far superior information and documentation access and archival system.

FWIW