X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

5.7 Hemi Throttle Body Initialization

The Functionality for doing a throttle body sweep test was added to 8.2 Software. It works pretty nicely if you happen to need it, however of the sweep test fails, the throttle blade will never open again until you re-initialize the throttle body with the scanner. So, it is possible to have a vehicle that runs just fine until you do a throttle sweep test on it. If it fails the test for whatever reason, the truck will only idle...having no response to the throttle input. As of today, you would need the DRB to make it driveable again.
    I'd like to see the Throttle Initialization Functional Test added.
    Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford
  • No-Start
    • Oct 2006

Thanks for the warning, Joe.

I haven't had an opportunity to try the test on one that fails yet.

I see that you mentioned a DRBIII, have you tried this test on the CAN equipped vehicles as well? If so, did it net the same results?

Thanks,

No-Start.

Comment

• Steve6911
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
      The Functionality for doing a throttle body sweep test was added to 8.2 Software. It works pretty nicely if you happen to need it, however of the sweep test fails, the throttle blade will never open again until you re-initialize the throttle body with the scanner. So, it is possible to have a vehicle that runs just fine until you do a throttle sweep test on it. If it fails the test for whatever reason, the truck will only idle...having no response to the throttle input. As of today, you would need the DRB to make it driveable again.
      I'd like to see the Throttle Initialization Functional Test added.
      Joe

Great tip and suggestion Joe! Have you had one that failed and prompted this post? If it fails the test can you run it again? I had one in the other day and played with it because I never did this test before, THANK GOD IT DIDN'T FAIL!!! Vehicle was just in for PM!

THANKS!
      Steve
      Last edited by Steve6911; 08-11-2008, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• DougMontgomery
        • Jul 2007

Joe,

Did you try the manual throttle learn procedure to se if that would fix it?

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

Hi Steve,
          Once it fails, you're out of luck with the SO Scanner. You can't run the test again.

Doug,
          The manual procedure didn't work. In fact we tried nearly everything you could think of before towing it to the Dealer.

NS,
          I haven't tried the Can Vehicles myself, but here's what I know about them from a fleet guy I know. This guy has several of these, and '06-'07 Chargers in the fleet. If the battery on these go dead, the throttle will not work again until the throttle body is initialized. If it goes dead long enough on the Charger you also have an ABS light that will not clear without the StarSCAN. They will start but have no throttle response.

Joe
          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
          Henry Ford

Comment

• romeob
            • Sep 2008

Transmission

To whom it may concern ;

I have a 2005 dodge Chrysler hemi RT 5.7 engine with a transmission leaking
            at the top of the bellhousing where it has a black breathing port where it leak
            when ever the car is drivening, and slow the vechicle down as if the transmission is burntout. I would to know what is wrong.

Comment

• DougMontgomery
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
              Hi Steve,
              If the battery on these go dead, the throttle will not work again until the throttle body is initialized. If it goes dead long enough on the Charger you also have an ABS light that will not clear without the StarSCAN. They will start but have no throttle response.

Joe
              Joe,

So thee is function on the OE tool to do a throttle relearn?

What is it officially called and what is the procedure BTW?

THanks

Comment

Working...