Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kirkbarrow.garage
    • Jan 2015

Ethos and latest versions

It might be just me, but I am curious as to why there is a page for every Snap On diagnostic unit here except the Ethos.
    There is even a scanner forum for the MT2500 & the one I own, the MTG2500.
    But none for the Ethos and I own 2 personally too.
  • Dashinoku
    • Aug 2016

Originally posted by kirkbarrow.garage
    It might be just me, but I am curious as to why there is a page for every Snap On diagnostic unit here except the Ethos.
    There is even a scanner forum for the MT2500 & the one I own, the MTG2500.
    But none for the Ethos and I own 2 personally too.
    Always wondered the same thing

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
      • Jan 2015

Ethos Forum ? ? ? ? ?

Ok, so apart from one response, Thankyou Dashinoku, and over 400 views, nothing else been said; positive or negative.
      Quite sad really, especially as an Ethos Forum could cover not just Ethi ( I have 2, so plural it is ) but also Ethos +, Ethos Tech and all other versions too.
      Very disheartening I think.

Comment

• sbreland73
        • Jan 2009

I believe the newer Ethos tools share the same software as the newer Solus and Modis platforms. Perhaps they feel this would be too redundant? I'm sure if you had an issue or question, you could post in one of those forums.
        S. Breland

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

I really don't think Snap On wants the Ethos to take away sales from the more expensive Solus Edge, Modis etc lines that people pay x amount a week to keep updates current to have online access to the SureTrak trouble shooter they want you to believe you won't be able to fix a sandwich (in a timely manner) doing with out .

Comment

• tallpilot
            • May 2017

You are probably correct. In fact if it weren't for Altel cutting into their business model with affordable bi-directional scanners I doubt the ETHOS Pro or Tech would exist at all. Now we can finally get a fully capable scan tool for less than $5,000 plus $1,000 a year.

None the less the platform is different enough to deserve its own forum even if the software is similar.

Comment

• sbreland73
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by tallpilot

None the less the platform is different enough to deserve its own forum even if the software is similar.
              I'm not very familiar with this tool, besides not having Troubleshooter, could you explain how it is different, thanks.
              S. Breland

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by sbreland73
                I'm not very familiar with this tool, besides not having Troubleshooter, could you explain how it is different, thanks.
                For me, having owned/used a graphing brick and a modis first, the ethos is as good as a brick excepting the roller wheel is now an up/down/left/right key pad and turning it on by the power button keeps it on until you turn it off, unlike both versions of the brick.
                Also it is smaller in width, but higher in height and about ( not actually measured ) the same thickness as a brick too.
                Also, by plugging the 93L cable in, you are ready to go to an EOBD/OBD port, unlike the brick needing the data cable and a DL16 connector too.
                Both utilize the personality keys, both S & K in Europe and Canada/USA respectively.
                I like both, but the ethos does win as it is newer and will have newer software too.
                Plus it's more ( much more ) portable than my modis too.

Comment

• Dashinoku
                  • Aug 2016

Edge?

It seems that snappy decided on revising the ethos and doing away with its distinguishing attribute, now its rechargeable... now it looks more like its big brother

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

Since newer Snap on platforms has basically discontinued the former permanent built into the software Sure Trak trouble shooter and made it internet accessed and contingent on having a current software version, and most people only have to update every 3 years.(unless added new car coverage gets intentionally slowed to a trickle and rolled out gradually over a period of of 5 years of updating before you finally have full scope of of a new vehicle software and to make sure you're feeding your Trak habit
                    I think a Ethos Tech be cool to retire a MT2500 if it still has OBD1 coverage and you still would be able to use all the old OBD1 and Euro adapters from the older discontinued platforms would definitely be a cheaper option.

Comment

• Dashinoku
                      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Witsend
                      Since newer Snap on platforms has basically discontinued the former permanent built into the software Sure Trak trouble shooter and made it internet accessed and contingent on having a current software version, and most people only have to update every 3 years.(unless added new car coverage gets intentionally slowed to a trickle and rolled out gradually over a period of of 5 years of updating before you finally have full scope of of a new vehicle software and to make sure you're feeding your Trak habit
                      I think a Ethos Tech be cool to retire a MT2500 if it still has OBD1 coverage and you still would be able to use all the old OBD1 and Euro adapters from the older discontinued platforms would definitely be a cheaper option.
                      the Ethos Tech and the Ethos Pro both support OBD1, you can use existing wiring and adapters or buy the OBD1 kit... i bought the kit for mines and it works woderfully

Comment

• Dashinoku
                        • Aug 2016

Originally posted by kirkbarrow.garage
                        Ok, so apart from one response, Thankyou Dashinoku, and over 400 views, nothing else been said; positive or negative.
                        Quite sad really, especially as an Ethos Forum could cover not just Ethi ( I have 2, so plural it is ) but also Ethos +, Ethos Tech and all other versions too.
                        Very disheartening I think.
                        A whole year went by and still nothing, except the new ethos edge... which I think already phased out the Pro and Tech variances as it hasn’t been mentioned in any update or news since 17.2

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

A whole year went by and still nothing, except the new ethos edge... which I think already phased out the Pro and Tech variances as it hasn’t been mentioned in any update or news since 17.2
                          I'm sure they are great scan tools for a fair price for the budget challenged , but there are older discontinued Chinaman tools still smokin the Ethos line up on capabilities for the price,( though Chinaman stuff is more hit or miss on whether the greater functionality listed actually works when you select them.

Comment

Working...