Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DustyAnthony
    • Nov 2009

9.4 locking up...

I have been having my solus pro 9.4 lock up so that I cant exit to the menu, like say it may keep me in data or possibly in trouble shooter and especialy after I clear codes. I read a post about another guy with the same prob and wondered if this is somthing to do with 9.4? Had this happen last week whwn my SO rep was in the shop and he said (yeah, thats not rite), perfect, now I know that much, anybody else have this going on or know how to fix it?
  • jrorl63
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

I read the other related thread and it sounds as if the problem was understanding the proper navigation of the tool. When you say its locked up where are you at in the navigation of the menus? From within the scanner software you should be able to back out by selecting the N button until you've backed up to the VIN selection menu, then scroll left or right on the top toolbar - away from the blue scanner button - then select N and be on the main solus pro screen. If this is the case I recommend taking the time and completing the level 1 Solus Pro training online.

Comment

• DustyAnthony
      • Nov 2009

Thanks for the reply but no it's not the user. By saying "locked up" I mean wont do anything. Example: Im in troubleshooter, scroll to a code, look it up and maybe start scrolling down to read it and then "bam" locked up, wont do anything, no buttons make a difference, DONE. It dosent always happen, nor is it just TS, got it in live data, TS, codes, even had a freeze putting in the vin once. Dosent seem like ti matters about the manufacter or where im at, just decides to take a break once in a while and I wondered if anyone else had seen this or what to do about it. This isn't my first scanner and I havn't seen one do this before, so i thought i'd ask. THANK YOU.....

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

I've got 9.4 installed on 2 Modis' and a Solus-Pro. I haven't had any lockup problems at all. It's been a very stable update. A couple of weeks ago another user posted the same question and it ended up being a bad software installation. He had his Dealer re-do his CF card. Try reinstalling your update, and make sure your battery is fully charged. Your SP does not like low voltage and it gets unstable when it has to deal with it. If that doesn't fix it, you probably have a problem with your Solus-Pro.
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• diesel71
          • Feb 2008

I have to agree with joe, the other day a friend with a sp was having issues and it ended-up being low voltage from the battery"s.

Comment

• jrorl63
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

Many great suggestions regarding tool lock-ups. Thats why I asked for specifics - sometimes the problem is on the vehicle, data cable, personality keys, tool software installation (needing a device recovery), or hardware (scanner module, pcb board, input pads, available memory). There hasn't been any reports of widespread problems with 9.4.

Comment

• transman618
              • Oct 2007

I had some of the same issues with my MODIS immediately after loading 9.4 My dealer had to re-load 9.4 into it and it seems to be working fine now. Not sure exactly why the first upgrade didn't take. When I went to see my dealer to get it re-loaded, he told me his laptop in the truck was having memory errors. I'm thinking maybe thats why the first update didn't take. He took my card out of the MODIS, took it to his son who is also a Snap-on dealer and re-loaded it using his computer and it seemed to take just fine. Just throwing that out there, maybe reloading 9.4 will help you like it did me. Good luck with it.

Charles

Comment

• David Green
                • Oct 2009

Had this problem of Solus pro lock up, or not being able to exit, a snap on trainer said to scroll back to the scanner tab at the top of the screen and press N to close down communication?

Tried this today when investigating a misfire on a Ford, check the codes and then the scanner ex communicated, then went into live data to check graphing, but absolutely no way of exiting graphing and stopping the communication, the scanner just goes back to the beginning, then I had to press the power button to shut it down, then got the dreaded warning but all I could do was press Y to shut down then start again?

I thought this must be a user error, so I went through the programme again a few times, absolutely no way could I find a way of powering down safely according to the scanner programme?

As an example, Ford would not have the same software programme as Snap On 9.4, therefore snap on copying their program onto snap on disc to reproduce it must have something missing?

Maybe Snap On need to take some time out before putting the software on the market, thus checking that it functions correctly first?

Sounds a bit like Windows Vista?

They had to produce Windows 7 to get round the problems of Vista, wonder what is in the pipeline for 9.4 update?

Comment

• diesel71
                  • Feb 2008

this might help, with the solus and modis when your viewing in graph befor you click the n button go to the top left click on view then select text. with the scanner showing text you can now select the n-button to back up without locking up

Comment

• David Green
                    • Oct 2009

Thanks for that will give it a go

UK David

Comment

• vasau
                      • Jul 2007

My Modis does the same thing. All I do is like I do on a vehicle ECM to reset it, cut off all power supplies for a minute or too.

Comment

Working...