Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

One thing I want before any further updating

Well now that 8.2 is released I have one more thing to add to the what do I want from my diagnostic equipment. It’s really what I want from Snap-on! I have a Modis and in the fall the day it came out I purchased 7.4. I hate to say it but it is the only update I wish I had not purchased since purchasing my Modis at 4.2. I have always updated and as soon as it came out, so today my dealer made a special stop to my shop to install 8.2 and I had to turn him away. I have over 14 calls into tech support with problems I did not have prior to this update (7.4). There had been “rumors” of an interim update to repair many of theses but with the release of 8.2 I see this is not going to happen. I know I am not the only one with problems as I have been envolved in posts here and on Iatn about them. Other companies have updates/patches that come out often. If I remember right OTC has a downloadable update the third week every month. Autoenginuity has several updates and patches per year, and there are others including OE tools. I have been told that 8.2 will correct these problems but no one at tech support or a Snap-on diagnostics I spoke to will confirm this. And even if 8.2 does correct these problems why should I have to pay for it when their incorrect programming is the cause. So from seeing some of the functions in the new update I see that Snap-on really does read these so how about it Snap-on it's time you make a change and correct your errors without charging your customers. Below is just one example of a phoned in problem. RPM matches front speed sensor pattern, there was no problem with the LR sensor, but the RR was dead.

SP32-20080317-203349.jpg

Steve
    Last edited by Steve6911; 04-15-2008, 05:00 PM.
  • jeffreyg
    • Jan 2008

Steve I agree with you 110% other scan tool companies do offer free patches when they have a problem with there updates and I feel Snap on should do the same. If there is a problem and you buy the new update when it comes out now you have to wait 4 or 5 months (or how ever long between up dates) for the problem to be resolved, and to top that you have to pay, and to top that Snap on is the most expensive to up date (compared to the aftermarket scan tools). Don't get me wrong I don't mind to pay the price but don't make the people who want to keep there diagnostic equipment up to date and buy the new update when it first comes out wait. One last note Steve it seems you and I have the same luck if it wasn't for bad luck we would have none at all, I have seen all your posts both here and Iatn and I'm glad you voice your opinion, this is the first time I have voiced my opinion in public, I was always told if you don't have any thing nice to say don't say it, but it felt good to vent thank you Steve I'll be sure to vent more often (maybe).

Comment

• DougMontgomery
      • Jul 2007

OMG...Steve is startig to get groupies..LOL

Good work Steve

Comment

• tenfooter
        • Apr 2007

We are being asked to pay to be a beta tester for software which never reaches alpha stage this is B. S. only Microsoft gets away with that.

Comment

• Steve6911
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DougMontgomery

Good work Steve
          WOW I got groupies I’m impressed! Are you jealous Doug? But seriously, if I damage or cause any kind of ill effects on a customer’s vehicle while I am working on it who is responsible for fixing the problem, ME! At NO cost to my customer and this is just right. As I stated I do not expect perfection, programmers have a very difficult job. But if an error is made on their part why should I have to pay for it. With today’s platforms updates are simple and cheap once the problem is solved, not like the old MT2500 platform where the software was in new hardware. I felt very bad turning my dealer away! The 8.2 update looks great and has some really cool new features but until this gets resolved I will be putting my money into other tools. I try to tell it like it is, I have had MANY good things to say about Snap-on products but when something is wrong it needs to be said also, just not rudely.

Steve
          Last edited by Steve6911; 03-18-2008, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• jeffreyg
            • Jan 2008

Good work Steve
            Yah want to join

Comment

• EBI Webmaster
              Administrator
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Steve6911
              WOW I got groupies I’m impressed! Are you jealous Doug? But seriously, if I damage or cause any kind of ill effects on a customer’s vehicle while I am working on it who is responsible for fixing the problem, ME! At NO cost to my customer and this is just right. As I stated I do not expect perfection, programmers have a very difficult job. But if an error is made on their part why should I have to pay for it. With today’s platforms updates are simple and cheap once the problem is solved, not like the old MT2500 platform where the software was in new hardware. I felt very bad turning my dealer away! The 8.2 update looks great and has some really cool new features but until this gets resolved I will be putting my money into other tools. I try to tell it like it is, I have had MANY good things to say about Snap-on products but when something is wrong it needs to be said also, just not rudely.

Steve

Thank you for the feedback Steve. I took as many of the comments as I could to the 8.2 planning meeting that happened before the 8.2 feature list was compiled, and was given the time to state your (the members) case. It is because of the members feedback that many new features were added, and some problems were solved.

Problem reports, like the one you provided, with the captured screen, gives me the tools I need to rattle some cages. It makes it a lot less painful when the developers have every piece of info that is available, when they are looking for one sensor in a sea of millions.

It is a lot like diagnosing an old OBD1 Ford without data. The more information you can compile, the quicker you can get to the root cause.

I want to personally and publicly thanking every Ask-a-Tech member that contributed and will contribute to the wants list. Without your help, we can only guess at what is currently needed for those hard to diagnose problems you are seeing today in the shop. You set the priorities.

Steve. I am sure someone in Customer Support has forwarded your reports to the proper people, but I believe in redundancy. I am going to print your capture screen, and knock on a few doors, just to be sure that it has been officially captured.

Guys, keep the feedback coming. It is making an impact, and the right people are seeing it.

Roy
              http://askatech.snapon.com

Comment

• DougMontgomery
                • Jul 2007

EBI,

It is great that you are taking these product issues seriously and 'went to bat" and the engineers planning table. But what about the bean-counters?....the guys who are charging for patches and updates when things are broke? Any word on assistance at the street in the form of $$$?

Comment

• EBI Webmaster
                  Administrator
                  • Sep 2006

EBI,

It is great that you are taking these product issues seriously and 'went to bat" and the engineers planning table. But what about the bean-counters?....the guys who are charging for patches and updates when things are broke? Any word on assistance at the street in the form of $$$?
                  When I fixed cars I was involved in the diagnostics, repair, quality and customer service. I am in the same type of position at Snap-on. I can help diagnose, help get things repaired, influence quality and help with customer service, but I have no influence or in-site into costs.

Any future plans at Snap-on, I simply cannot comment on, as any Snap-on Employee would tell you. Future plans fall under a confidentiality agreement that is standard with any job that handles intellectual property.

Believe me when I say I am truly a customer advocate, and Ask-a-Tech is having an influence on the way Snap-on Diagnostics plans for the future.
                  http://askatech.snapon.com

Comment

• Steve6911
                    • Feb 2007

Roy

Thank you for responding to my post and for all your efforts in getting new features into our tools. It is really appreciated! However as Doug and I stated this is really about money, and the fact that we (tool owners) have you pay to repair Snap-ons mistakes! I know you have nothing to do with this, I am hoping that as many people that feel the same as I do chime in so the “bean counters†(thanks Doug ) at Snap-on see that a change is needed. In times like this I can no longer plunk down $900.00 to fix what my last $900.00 broke.

Steve

Comment

• MasterWrench
                      • Oct 2006

If I remember correctly they are giving 8.2 to Solus/Solus Pro owners because of problems. That would mean that only MODIS owners will be paying.....
                      MasterWrench

Comment

• Steve6911
                        • Feb 2007

I think that had to do with the euro, if it's for other problems that just makes it worse!

Steve

Comment

• Chad McFarlane
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by MasterWrench
                          If I remember correctly they are giving 8.2 to Solus/Solus Pro owners because of problems. That would mean that only MODIS owners will be paying.....
                          8.2 is being give free to Solus Pro owners. It is not being given to heritage Solus owners. I think the reason behind giving the 8.2 to Solus Pro is that it was released with a 7.3 software and there were situations where a person that just bought a Solus Pro would not have the same coverage as someone who had a Solus who updated to 7.4. That is just my opinion.

Masterwrench, I dont know if you are an employee of Snap-on but I am a Dealer. I ask that you please make sure that you verifiy your information when you post information about updates being given away.

Thanks

Comment

• MasterWrench
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Chad McFarlane
                            8.2 is being give free to Solus Pro owners. It is not being given to heritage Solus owners. I think the reason behind giving the 8.2 to Solus Pro is that it was released with a 7.3 software and there were situations where a person that just bought a Solus Pro would not have the same coverage as someone who had a Solus who updated to 7.4. That is just my opinion.

Masterwrench, I dont know if you are an employee of Snap-on but I am a Dealer. I ask that you please make sure that you verifiy your information when you post information about updates being given away.

Thanks
                            I am not a Snap-On employee and the only information I have is on this site

Tips, tricks, questions and suggestions... If you want to talk codes, data, functional tests and troubleshooter, this is the place!
                            MasterWrench

Comment

• Chad McFarlane
                              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by MasterWrench
                              I am not a Snap-On employee and the only information I have is on this site

http://askatech.autorepairdata.com/f....2+update+free
                              That thread just talks about the 8.2 update for the Solus Pro. The way I understand it, when we (dealers) receive our 8.2 software and load it. All we have to do is plug your Solus Pro into scanbay and it will program the 8.2 update at no charge.

No hard feelings, I just didnt want someone to get confused and think that there Solus was going to get a free update and get mad at their dealer.

Comment

Working...