Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cooltech
    • Sep 2012

Chrysler body coverage

Today I had to diagnose an inoperative horn on a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan. The horn pad/switch on this vehicle is an input to the body control module, which in turn controls the horn relay. I plugged in my Solus Ultra with bundle 13.4 and accessed the BCM. I checked for codes, and found nothing applicable to the concern, then looked at the data stream. If you can press the horn and see the input change at the BCM, you know that the horn pad and the wiring from it to the BCM is good. I looked for the horn input PID, but could not find it. I also checked the instrument cluster for a horn input. I could not find it there either.

I decided to access the BCM with a different scan tool. The other scan tool pulled more codes from the BCM than the Solus Ultra did, including a code for the horn switch. I then looked at the data stream and found the horn input PID. The fix problem ended up being in the clock spring. The BCM could not see the horn switch input because of the bad clock spring.

Has anyone else experienced this? It sure would have been nice to see the code for the horn switch at the beginning. Using scan data can really shortcut electrical diagnostics when there is a module involved. It would be great to have the body coverage for this vehicle expanded in future updates.
  • hefaus
    • Dec 2007

Coverage

Yaa Snap On for its wonderful fully functional Programs..NOT. The cost is not worth the disappointment. Wonder when they will pay attention to this over dollar signs.. Not like its a newer vehicle either. Just saying.

Comment

Working...