Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

What We Still need 2013 Edition

Just ran across a couple of vehicles that did not have the functional tests that you would expect them to have. The first was a 2011 Ford Escape that had a P0466, Evap Emission System Vent Control Circuit. There were not any functional tests listed for this vehicle. VIN 1FMCU9EGBKA05073.
    The second was 2006 Chevy Cobalt VIN 1G1AL18F067694871. Had a problem with the radiator cooling fan. While there are functional tests for this vehicle the cooling fan or fan relays are not there. I did not have time to check with the tech2win to see if this function is offered but I would think something this basic should be included.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by greasybob; 02-16-2013, 07:30 PM.
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Another thing that I would like to see added to the next software edition is the seat memory module for GM vehicles. Reason being is that it is usually the memory module that controls the heated seats. While heated seats may not be a big deal in San Jose here in Wisconsin in February vehicle owners who have this option like to have it functional and there are a few data pids and codes available in there that can make diagnosing seat problems a little easier.
    Last edited by greasybob; 02-17-2013, 06:13 AM.

Comment

• crackerclicker
      • May 2008

Originally posted by greasybob
      While heated seats may not be a big deal in San Jose here in Wisconsin in February vehicle owners who have this option like to have it functional and there are few data pids in there that can make diagnosing seat problems a little easier.
      Where's the giant "thumbs up" smiley face when you need it!

Comment

• Wheel
        • Jul 2007

What I think they need to add is what they took away from us when they came out with 10.4.

It's pretty hard for me to suggest anything new when they continue to ignore what we have already asked for and made a good case for needing.
        I think it pointless and a waste of their resources if they maintain a forum
        to ask us what we want when they know full well they have no intention of delivering.
        I am hoping to see some improvement with 13.2, but frankly I fully expect to be disappointed again.
        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• DKelly
          • May 2008

Originally posted by greasybob
          The second was 2006 Chevy Cobalt VIN 1G1AL18F067694871. Had a problem with the radiator cooling fan. While there are functional tests for this vehicle the cooling fan or fan relays are not there. I did not have time to check with the tech2win to see if this function is offered but I would think something this basic should be included.
          I just checked the Tech 2 with the latest software and there is no cooling fan test on the menu.

Comment

• Orevin
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by DKelly
            I just checked the Tech 2 with the latest software and there is no cooling fan test on the menu.
            GM SI has us testing the radiator fans using jumper wires at the PCM connector. I guess you're right
            -Kai-
            Chicago, IL

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by DKelly
              Hi Dave
              I looked out of curiosity and you're correct for the 2006 model year BUT....the 2007, 2008 and 2009 vehicle should have the command in the scan tool.

Just wanted to make sure the following years didn't get dropped by the wayside.....Maybe you could check those years and make sure the fan control command is in place as it should be. The diag. flow charts say to use the scan tool to command the relays for the 2007 & newer.

Thanks Dave KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK-!!!!

Comment

• Modis500
                • Sep 2012

Selectable PID's

Kind of off-topic of what you guys have been talking about with the functional tests, but just got done reading the thread about the PID Groups and which PID's are available in which pre-selected group. I think it might have been Crusty that asked for the option to choose which PID's you want from a master list for ECM or TCM or BCM, whatever it may be, and watch just that set of data, without S.O. choosing which PID Group it's tossed into. Sometimes we'll want data from two different groups, but can't watch both simultaneously. That would be a nice addition for 13.4...I'm sure you guys have 13.2 finalized for us, but just thinking ahead. Give us all a little flexibility, and it won't slow the data feed either with a bunch of stuff we're not using at that moment. Just thinking out loud.
                Oh, also, any chance of getting hired on at S.O. in the Diagnostics R&D Dept? That would be a fun job!
                "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
                Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Modis500
                  Kind of off-topic of what you guys have been talking about with the functional tests, but just got done reading the thread about the PID Groups and which PID's are available in which pre-selected group. I think it might have been Crusty that asked for the option to choose which PID's you want from a master list for ECM or TCM or BCM, whatever it may be, and watch just that set of data, without S.O. choosing which PID Group it's tossed into. Sometimes we'll want data from two different groups, but can't watch both simultaneously. That would be a nice addition for 13.4...I'm sure you guys have 13.2 finalized for us, but just thinking ahead. Give us all a little flexibility, and it won't slow the data feed either with a bunch of stuff we're not using at that moment. Just thinking out loud.
                  Oh, also, any chance of getting hired on at S.O. in the Diagnostics R&D Dept? That would be a fun job!
                  Modis 500,

Good news for you. GM data groups have been brought up for discussion. In the case that an "all PID data group" would not be available would something closer to the Tech 2 data groups be more helpful to you ?

I have always liked the the PIDs in the TECH2 data groups. How about some input? Are the Tech 2 data groups adequate?

Bob

Comment

• Wheel
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
                    Modis 500,

Good news for you. GM data groups have been brought up for discussion. In the case that an "all PID data group" would not be available would something closer to the Tech 2 data groups be more helpful to you ?

I have always liked the the PIDs in the TECH2 data groups. How about some input? Are the Tech 2 data groups adequate?

Bob
                    My advice would be give us what you've got (what you've mentioned, for example) or can get soon and keep trying. A work in progress is better than nothing at all and would be appreciated.

If you are bound by what the car's computer will give you at a given time, then you can only do what you can do. If however there is any leeway available, then the mechanic needs all the ability to choose you can give him simply because different mechanics think differently
                    and therefore have developed different techniques to come to the same conclusion. An unalterable fact of life. It is easier to change the
                    machine than it is to change the one using it.

You may be limited more on some cars than others on what you can do for us on this, and if so, please don't let one car line limit you on what you can do for us with the others.
                    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Wheel
                      • Jul 2007

I can tell by this request that you DO work on cars.
                      Glad to have your support on this idea.
                      While I don't expect to see data from the ABS and engine modules together at the same time - 2 different controllers with different missions - I do want to see MY choice of information from a given module arranged in ANY order I want it at a given time.

I have no quarrel with the existence of pre-selected groups - they do save time for some - as long as I also have the choice to build my own group from all available pids. Chrysler's DRB3 for example, gives you that ability.

Comment

• Modis500
                        • Sep 2012

Bob,

To be honest with you, It's been a long time since I've used a Tech 2, so I can't answer you on that one. As far as what Wheel said, he hit it on the head. Allow us to see all available PID's in the ECM, and choose the ones we want. I know this is somewhat available on some makes, but with others like Ford and GM with multiple Data Groups, sometimes can be difficult. As far as the point of S.O. improving every update, I think everyone likes change, some more than others though.
                        Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                          • Nov 2007

Bob,

To be honest with you, It's been a long time since I've used a Tech 2, so I can't answer you on that one. As far as what Wheel said, he hit it on the head. Allow us to see all available PID's in the ECM, and choose the ones we want. I know this is somewhat available on some makes, but with others like Ford and GM with multiple Data Groups, sometimes can be difficult..
                          Hey Modis,
                          Point taken, unlike other scanners, with GM there is a limit to how many PIDs are in a "packet" so a full list really isn't possible. So, data groups are the only answer. In the case of Ford and Chrysler you can make your own data group, as it is the only way so, it is possible. The problem is you will have to reconstruct groups for every scan session. I would like to see that option available also. Data groups and full list to do what you want.

As far as the point of S.O. improving every update, I think everyone likes change, some more than others though...
                          What do you mean by that statement? It's not clear to me...

Bob

Comment

• Wheel
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
                            Hey Modis,
                            Point taken, unlike other scanners, with GM there is a limit to how many PIDs are in a "packet" so a full list really isn't possible. So, data groups are the only answer.

Does GM control which pids go into these packets, or do scan tool makers have some leeway here? If there is a way for a scan tool maker to choose which pids to put in a packet, then couldn't this same ability be given to the mechanic?

Perhaps a way to work around this is give the mechanic the ability to visit each existing data group one at a time, then mark the pids from each group he wants in a custom group up to the allowable maximum
                            for a packet, which will then be remembered and saved to build a custom list with.

In the case of Ford and Chrysler you can make your own data group, as it is the only way so, it is possible. The problem is you will have to reconstruct groups for every scan session. I would like to see that option available also. Data groups and full list to do what you want.

What do you mean by that statement? It's not clear to me...

Bob
                            I feel this is a VERY important feature well worth finding the answers to. I think this is or will be important to more people than any of us realize.
                            This would give Snap On's customers something they could find nowhere else. or at least not as good.

Comment

• Modis500
                              • Sep 2012

Bob,

By that statement, I meant that lots of guys complain about this update or that update, and what I've heard about 12.2, it was a nightmare for the Verdict guys. Don't know personally, won't buy that product. What I did mean was I haven't found anything to complain about by going to 12.4 and that Snappy seems to improve more so now than in the past. Many of the guys said that after 10.4, it has improved drastically. Was just thinking out loud...sometimes I ramble on!
                              Zig Ziglar

Comment

Working...