Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Member General Discussion Forum > General Discussions > Evaporative (EVAP) Emissions Systems
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 09-28-2014, 12:17 PM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Default using a fog machine as a smoke machine

With cheap priced used Evap smoke machines in short in short supply around here, I decided to chance a party fog machine I bought off Craigslist for $20 that works good enough with hoses cobbled to it to find the larger leaks and blow smoke out my @zz on demand if I can't fix this Honda.
I have a 2000 Accord V6 here with a P1456, where my vacuum tests on the Bypass, solonoid, purge , and vent solenoids all check out , and Fuel Tank Pressure sensor responds in kpa with vacuum change.The Filler tube and cap were replaced within last 2 years at dealership.
When I smoked system I saw a little smoke come out from under cover around Tank bypass valve, next to canister but no smoke if I actuated the bypass solenoid. The fuel take pressure sensor has 2 hoses attached to it and the smaller hose has a tee with an uncapped open port on the tee , that has no hose near by to attach to it. I'm wondering if this is supposed to be open to atmospere, capped,or there is a hose missing from something trapped somewhere out of sight? Not seeing any detailed pictures with the tee and hose routing.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:32 PM

greasybob You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Did you check out the TSB for P1456. Thermo expansion Explained...sort of
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2000 accord p1456.pdf (70.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-28-2014, 05:10 PM

I'm thinking I'll just take my lumps on this one because the cause is not evident and I have way too much time spent on it already. If it were my car I would slam a canister vent valve and call it a day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fog machine 002.JPG (935.6 KB, 88 views)
Old 09-29-2014, 07:26 AM

Talking

Bob, thanks for the TSB but I gave the car back to the customer, with no charge to his wallet, with his engine light off and the cap tight, after driving fine and seeing the fuel trims are normal. Seems the test lane near me lets some cars pass with an evap monitor still incomplete, as long as the rest of the monitors have completed, no codes set or pending , and no past failures at the test lane.
My guess is they are getting sick tired of retesting all the vehicles they have to continually, retest, reject as not ready yet, and people get mad after driving a Turd over a hundred miles in a week and Venus hasn't aligned with Mars yet to allow the right conditions for the ECM to decide the time is right, kinda like a woman
Old 10-13-2014, 09:28 PM

Angry you get what you pay for holds true

I'm happy I only paid $20 for a used Fog Machine and , that It can locate something like a gross leak on an intake manifold close to the smoke source, however on a small leak on an evap system from front of the car to the back , much of the smoke seems to condense back to fluid, in cool metal tubes so you got as much chance of finding a small evap leak with a Halloween fog machine as a fart has in a windstorm. I believe The smoke generated from the fog solution is mostly steam because the smoke can't choke folk in a stage setting. The Machine also cannot maintain a steady supply of smoke because the switch cuts off after a certain time , then resets and no regulate able pressure.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:55 AM

sbreland73 You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Reminds me of the older Budweiser commercials "Real men of Genius!"

"Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change." Stephen Hawking
Old 04-03-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Reminds me of the older Budweiser commercials "Real men of Genius!"
10-13-2014 10:28 PM
LoL, I finally bit the bullet today and ordered something nicer from another man of genius after saving up pennies for 3 years for this moment.

The shop air pressure attached to the unit can be up to ? psi.
Does that propane grill regulator attached to the paint can actually bring pressure down to industry accepted EVAP test pressure of commercial units ? ? psi., (At least low enough to not possibly damage LDP diaphragms or start overcoming tank pressure relief valves and gas tank caps Hopefully)
Your description doesn't specify what the regulated dead ended pressure at hose end will be, Thanks, Jim

Hello Jim,

Thanks for contacting us with your questions.

Input air pressure to the regulator can be up to 225 psi. The regulator takes the pressure down to 11" WC which is 0.47 psi. This pressure is well within the specifications for EVAP testing and truly comparable to the "commercial" non turbo boost testing units. Most commercial units test at the exact same 0.47 psi.

Regards,
Dennis

Last edited by Witsend; 04-04-2018 at 08:58 AM..
Old 04-04-2018, 09:14 AM

Kind of a Rube Goldberg set up and it could run a battery down powering the thing from off the car battery, but with a battery charger on the battery , It's fused and I can't see a problem with a fire happening if I keep enough baby oil in thing to keep the heating element well submerged out of air and likely just run it a several minutes at a time any way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180404_095507 (Small).jpg (86.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-04-2018, 12:14 PM

GypsyR Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

That rig reminds me of when we had an old paint can with an air fitting epoxied to it and a little hose in the lid.
We'd light about half an oily shop rag, blow out the flames, and shut it in the can. Regulate some air pressure and smoke test away.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
That rig reminds me of when we had an old paint can with an air fitting epoxied to it and a little hose in the lid.
We'd light about half an oily shop rag, blow out the flames, and shut it in the can. Regulate some air pressure and smoke test away.
Lol , hate to have a errant spark ember from the still smoldering rag go into a gas tank with that set up. I get a kick out of you tube video of Scottie Kilmer using a cigar , but I usually feel like I'm turning green before I can find the leak by that method .

Last edited by Witsend; 04-05-2018 at 11:13 AM..