Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Solus/SOLUS PRO User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 11-11-2017, 02:56 PM

Jadidaskv Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Angry Solus pro shutting off

So i jus got a solus pro which i thought seemed like a great scan tool that i was going to be able to update in the future. I was reading last night and someone said since the solus and other models were out for x amount of years before snap on stopped allowing them to update, than the pro would have at least a couple-few more years left. Now im reading that they had just recently stopped updating them or will be very soon with the 17.2 being the last. Someone said 16.2(or 4) was the last but someone else said he had 17.2 on his. Im pretty bummed out because i got this scannner thinking id have at least a year or two to save up for the final update since mine is only 14.4. Any idea if 17.2 is the last and when the pro will no longer be able to update or if its already stopped?

Ok my real issue. Hooked up to an 07 accord and trying to diag a p0498 code. I went into functions to run an evap system test, but when it tells me to start the engine, the solus pro turns off when i turn the key to start the engine. I hooked it up to the cig lighter/12v port, still doing it so i can't run this test, or apparently any test that ill have to start the engine after its already connected. I dont see why it would do this if so many tests would have to have the engine started to run them. Not very happy about this. Eventhough i only paid $300, i feel i wasted my money since not only am i most likely $#!+ outa luck with updates, but i cant do anything that has to have the engine started after its already been plugged in
Old 11-11-2017, 03:48 PM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

What's probably happening is two things. First the Solus-Pro battery may be weak or run down. Second the vehicle battery may be low and the combination of the two, then cranking (which lowers the voltage even more) and the scan tool gets an unstable voltage supply.
For only 300 smakers you only need to figure out how to keep the power to the scan tool stable and you have a good platform. They cost thousands when new.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:44 PM

Jadidaskv Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Hmmm....interesting. I didnt think there was a chargeable battery. I thought it just worked when it got power from the obd2 port or the cig lighter port. Can the battery be charged? If so how since it didnt come with a cord to plug into a house outlet? Or does it need to be replaced?
Old 11-11-2017, 06:08 PM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

The Solus-Pro has a removable battery under the right side rubber hand grip.
It charges in a separate charge station that came with the equipment originally.
Download the users manual. Look around this site and you'll find it.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:11 AM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Hmmm....interesting. I didnt think there was a chargeable battery. I thought it just worked when it got power from the obd2 port or the cig lighter port. Can the battery be charged? If so how since it didnt come with a cord to plug into a house outlet? Or does it need to be replaced?
Does it have a small circular cigar lighter/ ac/ adapter charge port adapter Maybe you can plug that into an auxiliary external battery jumper or piggy back a 12v lith ion battery to back of the Scanner like I did with a DS 708. I generally had the battery disconnected when using it on most vehicles because I didn't want something to fizz inside the scanner if the car's battery was run low or especially during cranking the motor over. Supplemented the car with a good charger or boost pack when battery voltage drops enough to turn the scan tool off

http://productforum.autorepairdata.c...ternal+battery

Last edited by Witsend; 11-12-2017 at 08:32 AM..
Old 11-12-2017, 08:49 AM

Ya before i bought the scanner i seen a video showing a removable battery, but then when i met up with the person selling it, he didnt know it had a removable battery n when we took off the right cover, it looked dif than the video i seen so i thought it may have been a dif scanner in the video. After reading the first post, i found the battery.

It didn't come with an external charger or an ac/dc plug, only the cigar lighter one.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:08 PM

I just talked to snap on about updating the scanner, they said 17.2 was the last update for solus pro, and they just released 17.4 last month.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:24 AM

14.4 isn't too bad. You only spent $300 and hopefully has all the old style OBD I connectors to cover yourself for OBDI cars. Oh well Snappy don't want to sell the Final Legacy updates for all the old platforms they discontinued and now you can't even share all the old OBD1 connectors from the old platforms on the new platforms without having to purchase a $400 + OBD adapter kit to work on an OBD1 car once in a blue moon. Think its making a lot of sense budget challenged folk like you that would have spent $999.95 on a Snappy update get all p@ssed off and just use the money to buy a brand new competitor's offering with a one year warranty and updates from the Orient for the same kind of money and if you get p@ssed off and get the h@ll out of the trade and just drive a truck for a living you don't have thousands left to pay off on it

Last edited by Witsend; 11-26-2017 at 06:51 PM..
Old 11-14-2017, 07:08 AM

GypsyR Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

OooooK. Just an FYI, you can buy an ODBII to I adapter EAA0355L93A for like $35 that will allow you to connect your old OBI cables and adapters from earlier scanners on even the newest scanners. I'm using some old MT2500 adapters even with a Verus Edge because of that adapter. There's a version that's like $20 more that is a cable type but I didn't buy that one and don't have a part number handy.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
OooooK. Just an FYI, you can buy an ODBII to I adapter EAA0355L93A for like $35 that will allow you to connect your old OBI cables and adapters from earlier scanners on even the newest scanners. I'm using some old MT2500 adapters even with a Verus Edge because of that adapter. There's a version that's like $20 more that is a cable type but I didn't buy that one and don't have a part number handy.
That's some good information to know. $35 for a Snappy adapter is palatable, but having to drop $400 plus for a new proprietary design OBD1 adapter kit, for something used once in a blue moon on antique plated cars be a deal breaker for some.