Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Solus/SOLUS PRO User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 11-14-2017, 11:11 AM

GypsyR Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

OK, I have not seen the $400 thing. The $35 one works with the cable from our old Solus (for one) and allows our Zeus, Verdict, and Verus Edge all to communicate with OBDI cars using any of the older legacy Snap On OBDI connectors and adapters we have. So I don't get what you would spend $400 on. Or what we would at any rate.
One reason I pointed out the $35 adapter is that it's commonly called a DA-5 but it doesn't show up in the online catalog at all and a search for DA-5 returns nothing. You have to use the actual part number. Like they'd rather you not know about it or something.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:27 PM

Jadidaskv Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witsend View Post
14.4 isn't too bad. You only spent $300 and hopefully has all the old style OBD I connectors to cover yourself for OBDI cars. Oh well Snappy don't want to sell the Final Legacy updates for all the old platforms they discontinued and now you can't even share all the old OBD1 connectors from the old platforms on the new platforms without having to purchase a $400 + OBD adapter kit to work on an OBD1 car once in a blue moon. Think its making a lot of sense budget challenged folk like you that would have spent $999.95 on a Snappy update get all p@ssed off and just use the money to buy a brand new competitor's offering with a one year warranty and updates from the Orient for the same kind of money and if you get p@ssed off and get the h@ll out of the trade and just drive a truck for a living you don't have thousands left to pay off on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YapERdfa3VI
Ya it's absolutely ridiculous that they stop allowing updates. I get it they want to make more money by selling ppl new scanners to stay up to date, but not everyone can afford $4000 for a new scanner, theyll just go get a scanner some where else. They'd still make money selling the updates instead of losing customers that will get a scanner else where. Especially since i missed the last update by less than a month, thats jus bulls#!+. Like if they're going to stop allowing updates for a scanner, at least give ppl a little time to get the update, like 6months or so after the new version comes out since they are constantly updating/putting out new versions, at least allow 6months or so after the new version comes out ao ppl that have a scanner that cant get the new update on their older scanner to have some time to get the last version their scanner allows. That doesnt seem unreasonable at all. Since the solus pro has the cf card, why can't we just get a cf card that has 17.2?
Old 11-14-2017, 06:58 PM

Jadidaskv Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Not everyone that has snap on tools and scanners has a snap on truck that comes to them every week so they dont know when their diag tools will all the sudden be obsolete. Not everyone that has snap on tools has an account to make payments on $4000 scan tool. Ya you can do the update subscription, but again, not everyone has that or knows about it. The ppl that dont have it, pay quite a bit more for their updates, so it would be a good idea for them to allow 6 months to get the last update when a new one comes out that their scanner cant use, there's just that much more time that make that much more money since they'll be paying more for the last update than the new on their scanner wont take since they arent getting the discounted price having the subscription. Thats like $300+ more for each update for them, and a happy customer that will probably get a newer scanner when they can afford it instead of going somewhere else. Missing the last update by a month or two will just make ppl not want to get a snap on scanner when it comes time to buy a new scan tool.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:48 AM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
OK, I have not seen the $400 thing. The $35 one works with the cable from our old Solus (for one) and allows our Zeus, Verdict, and Verus Edge all to communicate with OBDI cars using any of the older legacy Snap On OBDI connectors and adapters we have. So I don't get what you would spend $400 on. Or what we would at any rate.
One reason I pointed out the $35 adapter is that it's commonly called a DA-5 but it doesn't show up in the online catalog at all and a search for DA-5 returns nothing. You have to use the actual part number. Like they'd rather you not know about it or something.
On the latest Edge Line up ,Just hope all the old style OBD I and Euro Connectors of the older scanners will work with the adapter. Not sure the OBDI master adapter kit includes the Euro adapters and green personality keys if still needed. Something to consider If you trade in an old tool with all your old adapters your going to have to source OBD I adapters somewhere, and I can't say with certainty using ones from a Port Freight 08 kit in a pinch with an adapter might be risky business if the scanner side of the pin out might be different on some.

Quote:
Not everyone that has snap on tools and scanners has a snap on truck that comes to them every week so they dont know when their diag tools will all the sudden be obsolete. Not everyone that has snap on tools has an account to make payments on $4000 scan tool. Ya you can do the update subscription, but again, not everyone has that or knows about it. The ppl that dont have it, pay quite a bit more for their updates, so it would be a good idea for them to allow 6 months to get the last update when a new one comes out that their scanner cant use, there's just that much more time that make that much more money since they'll be paying more for the last update than the new on their scanner wont take since they arent getting the discounted price having the subscription. Thats like $300+ more for each update for them, and a happy customer that will probably get a newer scanner when they can afford it instead of going somewhere else. Missing the last update by a month or two will just make ppl not want to get a snap on scanner when it comes time to buy a new scan tool.
I think the Final Updates Of all of Snap On's discontinued Platforms should be made available for at least a decade and be called a Legacy updates and at the time of purchase you are have a 90 day satisfaction warranty that the old discontinued scan tool still works fine with it or you can get a $1000 trade in credit on top of any promotion price on a new platform plus the next update is free. That is how I think it should be to keep from losing people to competition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171114_123341 (Small).jpg (112.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Witsend; 11-16-2017 at 11:16 AM..
Old 11-16-2017, 12:14 PM

GypsyR Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Umm, OK.
You quoted what I said but apparently didn't read it.
I said: "The $35 one works with the cable from our old Solus (for one) and allows our Zeus, Verdict, and Verus Edge all to communicate with OBDI cars using any of the older legacy Snap On OBDI connectors and adapters we have"
Then you said:"On the latest Edge Line up ,Just hope all the old style OBD I and Euro Connectors of the older scanners will work with the adapter"

We HAVE the latest Edge lineup and ARE USING the old OBDI adapters, some so old they came with an MT2500. No hope to it.

I see the $400 Kit you're talking about. I've upgraded platforms a couple of times and still have ALL my adapters. A scenario where you toss your adapters in with an upgrade deal and then have to buy them all over again after you realize you just threw away out your entire OBDI capability doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:02 PM

BMW JEDI Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Umm, OK.
You quoted what I said but apparently didn't read it.
I said: "The $35 one works with the cable from our old Solus (for one) and allows our Zeus, Verdict, and Verus Edge all to communicate with OBDI cars using any of the older legacy Snap On OBDI connectors and adapters we have"
Then you said:"On the latest Edge Line up ,Just hope all the old style OBD I and Euro Connectors of the older scanners will work with the adapter"

We HAVE the latest Edge lineup and ARE USING the old OBDI adapters, some so old they came with an MT2500. No hope to it.

I see the $400 Kit you're talking about. I've upgraded platforms a couple of times and still have ALL my adapters. A scenario where you toss your adapters in with an upgrade deal and then have to buy them all over again after you realize you just threw away out your entire OBDI capability doesn't make any sense to me.
I am pretty certain the new OBD-I adapters are NOT the same as the old MT2500 adapters.....
Old 11-16-2017, 01:14 PM

The new ones are red the antiques are black. I'm using both interchangeably. If there's a difference that affects usability I can't tell it.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:47 PM

kirkbarrow.garage Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
The new ones are red the antiques are black. I'm using both interchangeably. If there's a difference that affects usability I can't tell it.
Hi Gypsy, there is a unique difference and it only affects usability if you need it.
The red are rated to a higher current specs ( sorry, I do not know the specific difference ) and aside from this, there is no usability difference that affects how you connect or attain codes, clear codes, or anything else like coding injectors.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:13 PM

They are rated higher because if you have the giant "soap on a rope" OBD dongle like a Verdict or Verus wireless uses, it needs to be powered through the OBD plug-like so.

(picture shamelessly borrowed from a guy who goes by pole71 using the identical stuff)
The black plugs were never meant to supply power to anything, just signal. So yes, they aren't rated for powering things. But have worked for me anyway. So far.
That big dongle also has a USB port hidden in it that powers it up for "demo mode". I tried powering the dongle via that USB to the scanner so the scanner would power the dongle instead of the OBD adapter-adapter/cigarette lighter setup. Apparently the designers either didn't think of that or didn't want us doing it that way as it doesn't work.
As big as that dongle is, I doubt it really draws THAT much power. Might measure it one day if I happen to have such tools out anyway. And what that little dongle the Zeus uses too. Both types power up just fine on a tiny little USB port like what's in the side of your cell phone which means they happily will run on five volts on that end.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:53 PM

Glide Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Same here.I did pony up for the Euro OBD1 kit,but for OBD1 NA stuff I have all the old brick adapters and they work fine with Solus Ultra.