Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Solus/SOLUS PRO User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 02-16-2018, 06:30 PM

Tech10 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Aloha to the forum,
New guy here, and of course I am in need of help.

I have owned this Solus scanner for about ten years now. (7.2)
For some unknown reason, it has stopped communicating with all vehicles.

The scanner seams as if it is working fine, IE. it boots, takes commands, says what key is required for the vehicle being accessed, and it can access trouble shooting/fast track, etc. It just can't connect to any vehicle.

Tried using all cables and keys on another SO scanner, all worked fine.

I understand that this is an old scanner, but I sure do like it. I own a Solus-pro, and a Modis, and neither preform at the speed that the Solus does.

I did a search on the subject and found little to no useful information. I have seen a few other reports about this condition, so I am not alone.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be the issue, and if it can be corrected?

Could this be an internal software time bomb that renders the scanner useless after a certain amount of time?

I did find where someone had tried rebooting the CF? card. Tried that, obviously it did not work.

Mahalo for any and all information.

aloha.
The first thing that needs to be done is to reinstall the software. Search the forum, the process has been mentioned before. The update needs to complete successfully. The scanner module is faulty if it errors out during one of the 6 scanner downloads at the end of the update. The scanner module is part of the mother board.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:33 PM

Maui Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkbarrow.garage View Post
Hello Maui, you may not be aware of this, but the CF card is linked to the Solus in question and will come up with a red security error if you try another one.

To solve this, swap the daughter board AND CF card together from another unit ( if you find one ) and this should function correctly for you to check out the motherboards circuits and connections.

Hope this assists you to a final analysis

Thank you for that information, I was not aware of that security device.

I have been watching for another Solus, but as hard as it is to believe, they are still commanding a good price. It was such a handy scanner, and I truly do miss it.

Thanks again.

aloha
Old 02-16-2018, 07:37 PM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
The first thing that needs to be done is to reinstall the software. Search the forum, the process has been mentioned before. The update needs to complete successfully. The scanner module is faulty if it errors out during one of the 6 scanner downloads at the end of the update. The scanner module is part of the mother board.
I think the first thing to do is reset the date correctly or at least to a date after the release date of the software that he is trying to reinstall. WTF, I'm surprised there aren't some Old Retired SnapOn Crooners coming on here giving advise on workarounds and how to do a few things to keep some of the old retired platforms going so there aren't as many @ssholes like me going Chinese

https://www1.snapon.com/Diagnostics/...S-software.htm

Last edited by Witsend; 02-16-2018 at 08:10 PM..
Old 02-16-2018, 07:56 PM

Maui Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech10 View Post
Thank you.

I did a lot of searching for information on rebooting/reinstalling the software, not only here but on the web in general. Man there's a lot of bad information out there, but I found 1 thread in this forum on the subject that seemed legit, and that was it

I preformed that reset, and it seemed as if it had no effect, and actually did nothing. I say that because all of the previous vehicle history was still in the memory after the reboot. I might be wrong, but I'd think that all previous vehicle information would be cleared out during a true reboot, reset, etc.

Do anyone know if there's more than one type of reboot/reset/reinstall procedure?

Again, thank you for all of the ideas and suggestions,
aloha
Old 02-16-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witsend View Post
I think the first thing to do is reset the date correctly or at least to a date after the release date of the software that he is trying to reinstall. WTF, I'm surprised there aren't some Old Retired SnapOn Crooners coming on here giving advise on workarounds and how to do a few things to keep some of the old retired platforms going so there aren't as many @ssholes like me going Chinese

https://www1.snapon.com/Diagnostics/...S-software.htm
Well... I think I know where you're going with the date thing, but I have no idea if this is even possible.
I looked around the file system and found that only a few files could actually be opened, and of course, once opened, I had no idea of what I was looking at, or for.

I must admit that I did not pay close attention when the scanner was reloading, and when I did check, the reload had already completed.

Maybe I should try the reboot again and see if I missed anything. The talk of six steps has me wondering if human input is needed, and if the input isn't there, the reload continues and reverts back to the previous state before the reload was started. Hmm... I'm confusing myself now, sorry if no one is following me, but I kind of know where I'm going with this now.

Even here it is getting late, so I'll try and pick this up again tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone.
aloha.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:55 PM

gfuchikami Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
One other thing that I just recalled. At times, this symbol " [V] " just like that, can be seen blinking in the lower right hand corner of the display screen.

aloha.
I've never seen that on my old Solus and since it isn't supported by S-O anymore you probably won't get any answers from them. As others have suggested, if you don't see any obvious breaks in the circuit board or connectors, it's more than likely that perhaps the comm chip or I/O controller has gone bad. I'm surprised that you're having problems with the S-Pro because it is supposed to be pretty similar in function. Yes, the Solus booted up faster but you have to realize comparing apples to oranges isn't really fair; your Solus has 7.2 and the Pro has what 13.x or 14.x? That in itself would account for a longer boot as well as switching functions. However, that being said, the fact that your S-Pro goes back to the main menu when you press the N button somewhere deeper in the menus, that's troubling. The Modis has always been slow in booting, etc. primarily because it's running Windows XP and has a very slow processor. The newer scanners running ARM chips and a more efficient non-Windows OS make them boot very quickly and are fast overall. Anyway, if you've used a magnifier to look carefully at the data connector to the motherboard and can't find anything when you flex the board, it's more than likely a component has failed.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfuchikami View Post
I've never seen that on my old Solus and since it isn't supported by S-O anymore you probably won't get any answers from them. As others have suggested, if you don't see any obvious breaks in the circuit board or connectors, it's more than likely that perhaps the comm chip or I/O controller has gone bad. I'm surprised that you're having problems with the S-Pro because it is supposed to be pretty similar in function. Yes, the Solus booted up faster but you have to realize comparing apples to oranges isn't really fair; your Solus has 7.2 and the Pro has what 13.x or 14.x? That in itself would account for a longer boot as well as switching functions. However, that being said, the fact that your S-Pro goes back to the main menu when you press the N button somewhere deeper in the menus, that's troubling. The Modis has always been slow in booting, etc. primarily because it's running Windows XP and has a very slow processor. The newer scanners running ARM chips and a more efficient non-Windows OS make them boot very quickly and are fast overall. Anyway, if you've used a magnifier to look carefully at the data connector to the motherboard and can't find anything when you flex the board, it's more than likely a component has failed.
Thanks for the info on the Pro and the Modis. Having purchased those scanners used had me concerned that maybe they had some issues. After all, it seems that more times than not that someone generally sells such powerful tools only if they have, or they think they might be having problems in the near future. Glad to hear they are most likely OK. Thank you for that.

I have been checking the old Solus out for the past couple of hours, and at this point I feel that the CF card has a problem. But, not knowing what else might be at fault, I could very well be wrong.

It sure seems like a hard drive issue, and if I'm not mistaken, the CF pretty much is the HD in these scanners. Early SSD's?
Anyway, the system says that there's an error during the upgrade of the CF card in slot 1. No other information is provided.

When the update is in process, the screen that shows how much of the file has been downloaded shows no activity. After about 5 minutes or so, the error message appears, and about a minute later the regular Solus screen appears.

I also tried the system restore and had the same results. Unfortunately, I knew very little about these scanners when I purchased this Solus, Like it should have come with a master CF card incase it ever needed rebooting.

I'm not certain that having a master CF would make any difference, but I have the feeling that the main CF can't reboot without the master CF card to read from.

Hopefully someone that knows more about that subject will stop by an enlighten me as to the wherefores whatnots on the subject.

It's getting interesting, at least I find it interesting.
Nothing like bringing a good old tool that died before its time back to life.

Once again, thank you all.
aloha
Old 02-17-2018, 12:37 PM

Tech10 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

This was posted by Administrator EBI Webmaster

"To restore the system software:
1. Select UTILITIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > System Restore.
2. A warning dialog will launch.
To proceed with restoring your system, Press Y.
To return to the menu, Press N.
3. A confirmation message will appear and the master storage CF card has now been reverted to an installation CF card.
4. In order to complete the system restore process, turn off the unit.
5. Power on the unit. The newly reverted installation CF card will begin the installation process. When this process is complete, the system has been restored."
Old 02-17-2018, 01:30 PM

kirkbarrow.garage Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:

3. A confirmation message will appear and the master storage CF card has now been reverted to an installation CF card.
5. Power on the unit. The newly reverted installation CF card will begin the installation process. When this process is complete, the system has been restored."

As this would then restore the unit to an as new from the manufacturer, would there be a way to get into the Utilities dialog from the main screen with a red box saying " security error, contact Snap On representative " ?

I can do a reboot by pressing the down arrow and power on together ( not sure if pressed another button too though ) and this appears to reload the system, but a conversion to install would if possible be better.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Thank you for your reply,

I have tried your approach, and the result was as I have mentioned earlier on, that being a message coming up stating that an error occurred during the upgrade of the CF card in slot #1, and the CF remaining unchanged.

Please correct me if I am incorrect about this. After a system restore is run, shouldn't the CF be cleared of any previous data, such as previous vehicle history if the restore was a success?

I really do feel that the programing in the CF that controls the linkup has failed, as in, died, crapped the bed, say a few kind words over it while thanking for its service and saying good bye.

If I had my choice, I rather have had a total HD failure where nothing works. That way you know that it is dead.
Having parts of the scanner still working perfectly could drive a guy nuts trying to figure out just what the heck happened.

It's a real shame that what was once a very expensive item must be discarded just because the company that build it decided that selling newer models was more important than following up with service after the sale of its earlier models.

aloha