How about coming up with a Trak Card Scanner?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

How about coming up with a Trak Card Scanner?

How about Snap-On just practically give away Trak Scanners to every shop A New Fast Trak Scanner with the Latest and greatest updates kept current and free to update by internet.
    Customer Brings in a newer car , you read or enter the VIN # swipe the customer's credit card through a slot in it it , or your shop's snap on credit card and Badda Boom it sh@ts out a receipt with a Snap On Logo for a $15 charge that gives you 5 days access to the scanner's software to fix that particular car ,and the customers pay for the software to fix their car.
  • Modis500
    • Sep 2012

Not a bad idea! OEM's charge monthly for their software subscriptions and accessibility, but they have updates monthly or sometimes bi-weekly, whereas Snappy just has them semi-annually. Something to look into S.O.
    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
    Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Wheel
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
      How about Snap-On just practically give away Trak Scanners to every shop A New Fast Trak Scanner with the Latest and greatest updates kept current and free to update by internet.
      Customer Brings in a newer car , you read or enter the VIN # swipe the customer's credit card through a slot in it it , or your shop's snap on credit card and Badda Boom it sh@ts out a receipt with a Snap On Logo for a $15 charge that gives you 5 days access to the scanner's software to fix that particular car ,and the customers pay for the software to fix their car.
      Count me out on that one. I feel subscription scanners should be illegal - one should get to keep what he has paid for.

I also do a lot of scanning for CYA reasons - like BEFORE I work on a car and then document it. Stops a lot of this "Since You" nonsense. In your example, who pays for the scan? Not a problem the way things are - the shop owner is in control.

Also, if the scan info is incomplete, I don't want to pay everytime and find out the hard way the pids or tests I want are not there.

One of the chief motivations for buying an aftermarket scanner is precisely because it ISN'T subscription based. The aftermarket scanner
      will become extinct, and deservedly so if it follows a "timed out" or pay per use subscription business model.

The bottom line is do you want to be in control. or do you want to give up your freedom and allow "the company" to be in control of your scanning business instead?
      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Re Trak Card Scanner Idea

I think the idea would work well if Snap On didn't have any holes in any of the Trak scanner OE software to fill and just use the latest and greatest Genuine OE makers software made fully available to Snap On after 3 years and they split the proceeds of the use of the software jointly between them. The writings kind of on the wall already , the Chinese probably just steal the OE software anyway and sell cheap scanners that basically are pretty close to what an OE scanner can do already, so I Can't see why Snap On together with Pico scope , and OE manufacturers get together network and provide the latest and greatest , software for cars over 3 years old to be free of any holes and accessible with a swipe of a customer or your own shop's card, that you automatically add the fee to each customer's bill that you use the scanner on. A shop that just sees a few Euro cars a week could then work on them POS Euro cars. Enter the VIN, the tool , id's the car , you scroll through , what the OE has available for the Snap On scanner, and decide if you want to swipe the card or not to access the software or not.
        Last edited by Witsend; 08-19-2013, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Working...