Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trindaddy
    • Jan 2010

Preliminary Modis Ultra Review

Ok, I think I can offer some legitimate insight on the new Modis Ultra now as I have been using for about a month.
    First the good. It is very fast and intuitive. Jumping around from option to option and overall ergonomics is excellent. Battery life, charging abilities, software also excellent. The lack of 2 scope channels for most people I think will be insignificant as well as the lack of some scope features like zoom. The most advanced users may find this unacceptable. The scope lay out and speed is a vast improvement over the mighty original Modis. Snap On's coverage and troubleshooter/test options I believe are still second to none as usual. Other than individual tools or the Verus, I believe this is going to be a worthwhile scan tool for the majority of shops.
    The bad, I feel is really bad. It appears there has been, once again, no thought into the handling of common files and most importantly printing. So, to the Snap On developement staff, this needs to be addressed immediately for my full endorsement and continued use of the Modis Ultra:

-creation and printing of LISTS i.e. codes list, all modules scan list, I/M readiness list, vehicle information list, module information list, etc

-method of labeling files stored! We need a way to know what the hell we saved without opening every file.

After having to save 7 screen shots to compile a list from the "all modules" scan, I just wasted time, 7 pages of paper and ink to print the codes from all modules on the Volvo I am now working on! Now, I have 7 more files that I can't identify. The current system dealing with these issues is indeed pitiful. I hope this can be fixed without purchasing the next generation Ultra. If not, I do believe it is a factor when considering purchasing this scan tool at this time in it's production.

Truly,
    Neil
  • Modis500
    • Sep 2012

Neil,

Thanks for the info on the new tool. My dealer dropped off my demo today, and I've only used it for about an hour. So far, I'm impressed by the scanner capabilities, and yes, it's fast But, and there's always a but....not a big fan of the 4 PID graph maximum...with that extra 1 inch over the Solus Ultra screen, I'm pretty sure Snap On could've minimized the lines a bit, and added 2 more for a total of 6. Noticed some wasted space on the top while viewing data, that could've been utilized a bit more. I do like that it's light, and quick to go back to prior menu. With the info you added about the file-saving, is this tool the same as the Solus Ultra where it takes a bunch of memory to save files? (Also, not too excited that there's only one memory stick port, micro-sd of all things too )
    I'm still in the decision phase, have a week to figure out if I want this tool or not. Will put it up against my current Modis as much as possible to see which is a better fit going forward. Keys or not, lack of Pid graphs and 2 less scope channels make it a step behind at this point...Sorry for rambling guys.
    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
    Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

There is another notable feature on the Modis Ultra, and it is my favorite. The data update rate is 2-3 times faster than previous scanners. Compare it if you are able. It is impressive, and a welcome improvement for me.

Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Modis500
        • Sep 2012

Joe,

I did notice that this morning while watching 02 Data on a Honda Odyssey 3.5. Very fast indeed. Another nice thing that I noticed while plugging into the Honda was the addition of Auto ID on Acura/Honda models. That's nice, but it is quite slow identifying the vehicle. Took about 30 seconds to do an Auto ID on an '05 Odyssey. Most of us could ID this vehicle and 2 more in that time. But, it is an improvement to us on the scanner side. Oh, and found today also that Hyundai/Kia also had Auto ID...this one took 20 seconds to ID
        Last edited by Modis500; 10-12-2013, 06:23 PM.
        "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
        Zig Ziglar

Comment

• mechanic A
          • Sep 2013

Modis ultra

Pretty sure sure the lab scope has a zoom. Could be wrong but the graphing portion of the scanner definitely has zoom. Mine also freezes up and has a problem with the scrolling Definitely very fast

Comment

• Orevin
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by mechanic A
            Pretty sure sure the lab scope has a zoom.
            It does not.
            -Kai-
            Chicago, IL

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Trindaddy;
              All Modules Scan....has been requested many many times before

Printing of codes list has been requested as well

Printing of Emissions Monitors LIST has been requested also

The Filename structure has been discussed and I agree.....
              Presently the only way to know what you have saved, particularly screen shots, is to open each and every one of them, thus wasting a lot of time.

The only way I have found to keep the screen shots and movies organized so we can find them again later, is to scan a vehicle, saving screen shots and movies as required, THEN, IMMEDIATELY copying said files to a PC into folders that I can find later organized by customer name, or vehicle make, or whatever suits your fancy.
              I usually try to locate the VIN of the vehicle and save that as my first screenshot, thus putting the subsequent files (sorted by date in MS-Windows Explorer) in chronological sequence.
              If I have to scan a couple of vehicles before I have a chance to save them externally, The screen shot of a different VIN at least allows me to sort them out later. Each new vehicle has the VIN displayed as the first screenshot.
              The Solus-PRO WILL DISPLAY THE VIN in every screenshot AFTER you have accessed the vin in the vehicle data. This is a superior feature that should be included for every vehicle but sadly has not been brought forward to the "new and improved" tools such as the Solus-Ultra and I believe the Modis Ultra as well.

Sometimes SO listens, sadly, quite often not.

Comment

• Trindaddy
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Crusty
                Trindaddy;
                All Modules Scan....has been requested many many times before

Printing of codes list has been requested as well

Printing of Emissions Monitors LIST has been requested also

The Filename structure has been discussed and I agree.....
                Presently the only way to know what you have saved, particularly screen shots, is to open each and every one of them, thus wasting a lot of time.

The only way I have found to keep the screen shots and movies organized so we can find them again later, is to scan a vehicle, saving screen shots and movies as required, THEN, IMMEDIATELY copying said files to a PC into folders that I can find later organized by customer name, or vehicle make, or whatever suits your fancy.
                I usually try to locate the VIN of the vehicle and save that as my first screenshot, thus putting the subsequent files (sorted by date in MS-Windows Explorer) in chronological sequence.
                If I have to scan a couple of vehicles before I have a chance to save them externally, The screen shot of a different VIN at least allows me to sort them out later. Each new vehicle has the VIN displayed as the first screenshot.
                The Solus-PRO WILL DISPLAY THE VIN in every screenshot AFTER you have accessed the vin in the vehicle data. This is a superior feature that should be included for every vehicle but sadly has not been brought forward to the "new and improved" tools such as the Solus-Ultra and I believe the Modis Ultra as well.

Sometimes SO listens, sadly, quite often not.
                Hi Crust man. Hope you had a good Christmas. I didn't get the Raytek gun I wanted. I guess I was naughty. I am still beside myself about the "Multra". There are so many things about it I love and a few that really burn my a$$. Not having the ability to print quickly and effeciently is my biggest problem. I don't think it would have taken much to at least leave an IR transmitter in place so my 2 Seiko IR printers (that work great) would not be forgotten. Perhaps give it bluetooth technology and a matching printer. Wifi capability....well that seems selfish. It really bothers me when I see Troy getting the old Modis to do his thing when the Ultra is available. So, I let my S.O. guy grant me a Verus Pro for a test run with the idea of possibly trading up. I had never used one.

I was immediately struck by the Windows XP OS and long start-up time. Isn't XP going out-of-service in April? Why would anyone buy this knowing there will soon be vulnerabilities in the OS? So slow and hangy compared to the ultra. I really never wanted a pc-scanner. After using the Verus I really don't want one. Too heavy, too slow, too vulnerable, too redundant (I have a sweet laptop at my toolbox/bench), too dated. After using the Modis Ultra the Verus is unacceptable to me. Wireless comm and printing support is nice however. So, I guess I'll keep the Modises. I just can't endorse it the way I want too. I tried to make some waves here and on IATN about the obviously elementary problems with the Modis and have had no response with intent to address from S.O. I do appreciate that you actually read and understand my exact gripes. You are a good listener Crusty. I will choose more carefully next time. Hey, Happy New Year! All the best to you and all my friends here.

Comment

• hefaus
                  • Dec 2007

Operating system

The Android operating system is real fast.Way better than the pc system that Snap on uses. Can send print files to a pc real fast as well. Boot up Time is 20 seconds. Its gona give Snap On a run. Its the MaxiSys. its an amazing machine. Very impressed so far.Hooked up to an 09 Cad and read everything I tried. Even unlocked the ebrake system that was on...Hope to get way more time out of it and even surprise myself.Happy New Year to Everyone. Keep Smiling

Comment

• Misfit
                    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by hefaus
                    The Android operating system is real fast.Way better than the pc system that Snap on uses. Can send print files to a pc real fast as well. Boot up Time is 20 seconds. Its gona give Snap On a run. Its the MaxiSys. its an amazing machine. Very impressed so far.Hooked up to an 09 Cad and read everything I tried. Even unlocked the ebrake system that was on...Hope to get way more time out of it and even surprise myself.Happy New Year to Everyone. Keep Smiling
                    How would you say the Data/Repair resources are on the Maxisys setup?

Does it have anything to compete with the Snap-On Troubleshooter, which is very handy

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                      • Nov 2007

All that glitters is not gold.

MaxiSys does not handle data well at all. The Android system does not make it easy. Android does not include any type of utility to move files, rename them or do other things that Windows does well with outside help. In the beginning if I wanted to document a diagnosis with the MaxiSys, I had to attach it to an e-mail, mail it and move it onto a jump drive.

Maybe I am going about it the wrong way, but a friend who knows Android better than I, said it is not possible to move a file without an app. So, you must download an app to do this. I downloaded ES File Explorer. The learning curve is doable, but I found to be a huge distraction. Everything is App-based, so trial and error is way of life with Android.

With MaxiSys, all that glitters is not gold. Functional tests listed that do not work, or choosing the test just takes you in a loop back to the menu. Improper PID values are rampant. The graphing is better that the DS708 but has some big issues.

Having different time bases for each 4 graphs is puzzling. Lots of mistakes can be made if it is assumed what you are looking at is accurate. All PIDs should have the same time base adjusted together.

Not being able to graph ON/OFF, YES/NO, Complete/Incomplete or any "change of state" PID is just plain stupid. The Chinese way, I guess. Launch does the same. Most American engineered scanners see the obvious need for graphing "change of state" PIDs. Snap-on does this well and all PIDs can be graphed including readiness monitors.

Only 4 graphs on a page is also an issue. The Verus/Verdict can do 16 GRAPHS however small or busy it gets, it is a working function.

Scrolling through the data list seems to show the PIDs you were not looking at on that page lose their values, scrambling quickly to reconnect with the data stream. I don't know if that is the case, but look and see sometime, doesn't make sense on how it appears.

MaxiSys looks cool, lightweight, shiny graphics, and what appears to be full coverage seem to be what everyone sees, but taking a deeper look reveals a project in the works with some big functionality holes.

For the money, it does OK. Good thing it is relatively cheap.

Thanks for reading this post,
                      Bob
                      Last edited by Bob's Garage; 05-18-2014, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• Wheel
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
                        MaxiSys does not handle data well at all. The Android system does not make it easy. Android does not include any type of utility to move files, rename them or do other things that Windows does well with outside help. In the beginning if i wanted to documenta diag with the MaxiSys, I had to attach it to an e-mail, mail it and move it onto a jump drive.

Maybe I am going about it the wrong way, but a friend who knows Android better than I, said it is not possible to move a file without an app. So, you must download an app to do this. I downloaded ES File Explorer. The learning curve is doable, but I found to be a huge distraction. Everything is App-based so trial and error is way of life with Android.

With MaxiSys, all that glitters is not gold. Function tests listed that do not work, or choosing the test just takes you in a loop back to the menu. Improper PID values are rampant. The graphing is better that the DS708 but has some big issues.

Having different time bases for each 4 graphs is puzzling. Lots of mistakes can be made if it is assumed what you are looking at is accurate. All PIDs should have the same time base adjusted together.

This feature doesn't even make sense

Not being able to graph ON/OFF, YES/NO, Complete/Incomplete or any "change of state" PID is just plain stupid. The Chinese way, I guess. Launch does the same. Most American engineered scanners see the obvious need for graphing "change of state" PIDs. Snap-on does this well and all PIDs can ge graphed including readiness monitors.

OTC does not do this - score one for Snap On here. Not doing this is STUPID !!!

Only 4 graphs on a page is also an issue. The Verus/Verdict can do 16 GRAPHS however small or busy it gets, it is a working function.

Some may think me crazy, but there have been times I wished for more than 16 graphs onscreen. No excuse for there not being more than 4 graphs on a tablet or pc based scanner.

Scolling through the data list seems to show the PIDs you were not looking at on that page lose their values, scrambling quickly to reconnect with the data stream. I don't know if that is the case, but look and see sometime, doesn't make sense on how it appears.

This also happens on OTC's Genisys Touch, which is why I will not buy one.
                        Effectively defeats the purpose of graphing. A deal breaker as far as I am concerned on any scanner with this issue.

MaxiSys looks cool, lightweight, shiny graphics, and what appears to be full coverage seem to be what everyone sees, but taking a deeper look reveals a project in the works with some big functionality holes.

For the money, it does OK. Good thing it is relatively cheap.
                        Thanks for the insights.
                        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Misfit
                          • Nov 2013

Ditto

x2 Thanks for your informative post, it reassured me in my decision to hold on to the Solus Ultra.

Comment

• juabaravqually
                            • May 2014

Have anybody found the misfire counters for chrysler, or for nissan in the maxisys? I found only in my verdict and just for chrysler. I feel the genisys touch a step behind from the verdict however when your dealing with your customer the genisys touch does all the work, it's very impresive. All my scan tools have fail, and I feel very disapointed when the gen touch or verdict fail on domestic cars, sometimes the launch gds have better pids coverage than both or even worst when my cj4 do the work that they can't do just for a quarter of the price.

Comment

• markt
                              • Apr 2011

good post..again it proves the point that one scantool doesnt do everything..best have a couple at hand to fall back on.

regardless of price it cant be considered or relied on that the particular tool at hand will do the job...it should yes but i never take it as gospel that it will... i
                              always let the customer know that aswell as it may get you out of a bit of a sticky moment when the tool you use wont work and gives you time to try another...as you know,the customer thinks the scantool can fix anything or everything.lol

Comment

Working...