Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

Missing Controllers and functions

Using my Verus running 14.4 software to scan a 2014 Chevrolet Trax and there is no BCM listed in the controller list. Also doesn't support automatic ID (VIN) detection or network scan/clear. Trax is not available at all in 2013.

Maxisys auto id'd the car and network scanned it. Also supported the BCM and bidirectional testing.

Another application was a 2003 BMW X5 (E53) vin 5UXFB33573LH43045, where I needed to activate the ABS pump motor to perform a bleed procedure where another shop had replaced the components. Again the Verus and Snap-On let me down. Had codes and data with the ABS but only bidirectional test was a relearn of the steering angle sensor. Maxisys performed the function with no problem.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

LOL, that's why I think that company is being sued by Ford and GM , because Chinese will steal R&D make an improved copy of a Stealth fighter and sell one for cost of$10M apiece instead of $100M apiece cost here
    Snappy has to sit, beg , and wait, then pay to get authorization to copy certain OE software(usually not until the OEs have sucked as much customer pay juice as they can at the dealer level until they no longer want to deal with their own rusty POS's at the dealer level, then they decide to make the parts NOS and finally gives Snappy and OPP the ok to copy some of the OE software for the aftermarket use. I don't feel sorry for the OE manufacturers that exploit Chinese workers to build their cars , planes, parts and even scanner parts in China, they(the OE manufacturers) deserve what they got coming.You go to bed with little Asian gal and 20 years later you gonna wake up in a headlock of a 400lb Sumo wrestler
    Last edited by Witsend; 01-22-2015, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• hefaus
      • Dec 2007

Autel Scanner

Seems you are jealous. They got it right and Snappy is still lagging. The maxiSys 908 has to be about the best you can buy for the money and they get things done..Get over the slander. He just said Autels Scanner did it and Snappys didn't.Pretty simple for a scum scanner as you call it. Lets see Versus with the latest 14.4 10 grand...MaxiSys 25 hun. I myself really enjoy the MaxiSys 908 as I also enjoyed my DS 708 that I sold after I purchased my latest MaxiSys 908.Enjoy

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Whoa , Quite the contrary, I believe It's a great aftermarket scanner because I believe a lot of it may be the actual OE manufacturer software just copied with little changes done to diminish any capabilities. However, not enough changes were done to make the software unique enough not to be considered at least partially plageurized OE software by some of the OE manufacturers that have filed suit. I don't think any OEs authorize the copiing of all their bidirectional software for a 2015 or 2014 model year without authorization and compensation.It's a win win for techs like myself without deep pockets, but I wouldn't doubt with all the outsourcing that the OE manufacturers do that thir own OE scanners boards are also made in China by the same companies that make the Chinese scanners. I have a DS708 and I think it is great tool. I only paid about $1250 for it new and I don't think I'll pay to update it either. I might get a MS 908 within a few years if the add on scope feature works, but not the Pro if not enough OE manufacturers support the J---- programmer by then.

Comment

• Prezauto
          • Dec 2014

Quite curious to see if Autel will survive the lawsuits myself. Great tools, but if the company should fold from the fallout, how long will their tools be be useful afterwards without updates?
          John

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Prezauto
            Quite curious to see if Autel will survive the lawsuits myself. Great tools, but if the company should fold from the fallout, how long will their tools be be useful afterwards without updates?
            My bet is that they will fold and open under another name, forcing another set of lawsuits.

To answer the origiinal post, the Body Controller missing is only because it is a 2014 and the software isn't completed for the vehicle. It'll get added.

Good catch on the BMW and thanks for reporting it. There is a new guy working on the BMW coverage. He'll be happy to get some feedback. A while ago he posted on the IATN asking what should be added. I don't think he got the responses he was expecting, but he certainly got feedback.

Joe
            "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
            Henry Ford

Comment

• longhungsilver
              • Oct 2013

Not to hijack this thread but since we're talking about missing features. I'm running 14.4 Verus Pro. How come snap on hasn't added misfire monitor graph like the tech 2 on a 2000 Chevy Astro?

Comment

• hefaus
                • Dec 2007

Scanners

Yes I also believe that China makes most or all boards for the competition and themselves. If that be true why the huge difference in the price of the tools...American Greed like most other Companies and Banks. Another issue i am sure but like you said Witsend it is a great aftermarket scanner and keeps up to or even outperforms Snappy for now. Enjoy people. Keep Smiling PS sorry Joe but who makes the parts that the engineers want to have assembled on US soil...
                Last edited by hefaus; 01-24-2015, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

My bet is that they will fold and open under another name, forcing another set of lawsuits.
                  My bet is that Snappy is going to get sick of kissing OE manufacturer @ss and paying big bucks to get what scraps of software the OE are willing to toss their way, and they will just start to market the "another name scanner " under the familiar BLue Point import scanner name with a slot for the Verus, Solus, etc troubleshooter and information system card that all the OE software re-writers can concentrate on the guided diagnostics side of the Chinese Scantool. If the OEs have a problem with their OE copyrighted software being copied and put on a Chinese made scanner, then send OJ's lawyer over to China to take up matters in a court of law in China. Corporations got to stop out sourcing all our jobs and making all our sh@t over there or they need to STFU about their stolen software , trade, and military secrets.
                  Last edited by Witsend; 01-23-2015, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• hefaus
                    • Dec 2007

True

Originally posted by Witsend
                    My bet is that Snappy is going to get sick of kissing OE manufacturer @ss and paying big bucks to get what scraps of software the OE are willing to toss their way, and they will just start to market the "another name scanner " under the familiar BLue Point import scanner name with a slot for the Verus, Solus, etc troubleshooter and information system card that all the OE software re-writers can concentrate on the guided diagnostics side of the Chinese Scantool. If the OEs have a problem with their OE copyrighted software being copied and put on a Chinese made scanner, then send OJ's lawyer over to China to take up matters in a court of law in China. Corporations got to stop out sourcing all our jobs and making all our sh@t over there or they need to STFU about their stolen software , trade, and military secrets.
                    Coorperate warfare in the greed mode. Wonder how long it will take Snappy to realize that Android is the newer and faster way over Microsoft that is noted for troubles from the virus world and not up to todays world. Must work within the playing field rules.Gota love this planet

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                      Snap-on DSD
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by hefaus
                      Yes I also believe that China makes most or all boards for the competition and themselves. If that be true why the huge difference in the price of the tools...
                      Good question. Notice that you can buy a Solus Edge for around 3K but it costs nearly 1/3 of that to update it? So a good chunk of that cost is the price of software engineering on US soil. The rest of the difference is the cost of paying US workers to design, build, ship, sell and warranty those units. It could be done cheaper if it was done overseas, paying workers a low salary and no other compensation, but thankfully they don't do that.
                      Joe
                      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                      Henry Ford

Comment

Working...