X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amopower
    • Jun 2019

updating Diagnostic Suite

Hi all,
    I'm new to the Snap On scanners, and now have a Verus Edge with 17.4 installed on it. How does one go about updating the software? I assume there is a cost, correct? I currently have no account/username (if that is required)
    thanks for the help
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

If you've got a dealer you can get it from him.
    The last update came out in April. The next one is October 1st.
    Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• GypsyR
      • Jul 2017

Our shop has 19.2 and my personal Verus is on 17.4. I can ask next week but seems like last I heard it was like $1200 to update. No halfway update, you get the very latest or nothing. Sometimes there's a deal where if you bought 19.2 now you might get 19.4 free in the fall. You'd have to ask.

Not happening for me. I've seen not one thing about 19.2 that I want. I don't care about 2018 car coverage, those cars are still going to the dealerships, I don't see them. Much ado was made about ADAS being added. I don't do bodyshop type work so I have no interest in that.

A fella here (the forum) was complaining of something like his scanner couldn't read a module or two on a Corvette on an eight year old or so Corvette. One could hope stuff like might be addressed with new updates but it seems it rarely is. They just focus on adding the latest and newest stuff really.

A new addition is asking whether it's a "pre" or "post" repair scan. This is an extra step in MY way because I don't use it. Along with the asking me whether I have attached the scanner to the car and turned the key on about three times it's REALLY annoying to someone whose first scan tool was paper clip. Plus time is money for any mechanic. So the slightly speedier simplicity of 17.4 wins here for me. Now I understand that other shops have to work awash in bureaucracy for a number of reasons and they not only routinely do pre/post scans but have to have records of them. I imagine those folks were delighted to see this as they were doing it anyway. However the only way out of it is to use another scanner. This is with the understanding that the Verus series isn't the quickest code scanner. Their code scanning speed is a compromise because of the mix other abilities they have (and we love) and their hardware setup. That's OK. Throwing in extra junk you can't opt out of seeing that slows down the work process even further is what's annoying.

Also 19.2 saves your vehicle scan automatically. BUT, it just saves it under a time and date. So if you check 10-15 vehicles a day that stacks up. Then next week when someone asks what were the codes on Fred's blue truck last week, you're screwed for about 20 minutes. (Time is money) On 17.4 you only saved when you wanted to (plusses AND minuses to that) and could name it how you liked. Like after the actual repair order number! Imagine! Or "FredsBlueTruck" if you liked.

So 19.4 I have no use for. There are folks delighted with it I am sure. Different strokes. I look forward to seeing if 20.2 tempts me, I suspect 19.4 will not.

Comment

• Amopower
        • Jun 2019

Thanks that's good to know.
        I dont need the new vehicle coverage either, but was wondering if there were also bug fixes or additional PIDS/functionality that they also bring with an upgrade.
        I would think they should list the versions and what each version brings to the table. Do you know if that can be viewed anywhere?

Comment

• GypsyR
          • Jul 2017

There's a PDF of "Vehicle Coverage" for 18.4 at the SnapOn site. I haven't seen one for 19.2, it's probably essentially the same though.

As for what's new, tweaked, or added we have to guess not much. If you mess around with Linux on computers it's a whole different story. They we list every single nut and bolt and software tweak with every update. IE, they are proud of what they have done and want everyone to know as much as possible about it.

Whereas SnapOn is more like "It's new. Improved. More better. Stuff.Give us money. Oh yeah, ADAS." OK, maybe not THAT bad. There is usually a page on their site somewhere that has at least some info. With a quick look I didn't see it. Some folks here certainly know more about that than I do. if you car eto poke around yourself, here's the general area.

Comment

• Amopower
            • Jun 2019

Yea that's a bunch of ****. I work in the software industry and we include both a list of bug fixes and new improvements. Sounds like Snap-On has a very loose quality control system if they cant even provide a detailed list of whats been fixed or improved.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by GypsyR
              There's a PDF of "Vehicle Coverage" for 18.4 at the SnapOn site. I haven't seen one for 19.2, it's probably essentially the same though.

As for what's new, tweaked, or added we have to guess not much. If you mess around with Linux on computers it's a whole different story. They we list every single nut and bolt and software tweak with every update. IE, they are proud of what they have done and want everyone to know as much as possible about it.

Whereas SnapOn is more like "It's new. Improved. More better. Stuff.Give us money. Oh yeah, ADAS." OK, maybe not THAT bad. There is usually a page on their site somewhere that has at least some info. With a quick look I didn't see it. Some folks here certainly know more about that than I do. if you car eto poke around yourself, here's the general area.
              https://www.snapon.com/diagnostics/us/18.4
              19.2 list is out. You can download the PDF here.

Comment

Working...