X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

Attempting to Flash Used GM Controller

Hello Guys/Girls

I have been trying to flash an engine ECM in a 2007 Duramax (classic style). I am using GM SPS with an MDI2 passthrough but I have also tried the Ford VCM2 with the same result. The process stops with an error message when it begins to upload the file into the ECM. I tried to flash the original ECM with the same result. Always stops at the same place with the same error. I have disconnected all the controllers off the Serial data line except the ECM by disconnecting the splice pack 205 under the dash and just connecting the ECM circuit to the DLC pin 2 circuit. Same results with both the original and used ECM's Also I'm attempting to use a used ECM from an 06 Duramax. It has the same engine and transmission combination and same service number. I have voltage drop tested the ECM powers and grounds to no avail. I have communication with all controllers (when they are all connected) as I should. I even disconnected the TCM and GPM from the High Speed network. My network signals look normal on both the Class 2 and Can circuits. Any Ideas? Can an aftermarket tune from an Edge or Bullydog tuner cause the ECM to be locked? I know the original ECM is tuned with an Edge tuner. Here is a link to a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnrBPRYSaE0
    Warning its a long video.

Thanks in advance.
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Check out this post http://productforum.autorepairdata.c...ead.php?t=9823 My memory is not much on this one. Does your scanner or SPS bring up valid VIN and calibration numbers ? I think I ended up installing a new ECM for the vehicle in the post.

Comment

• diesel71
      • Feb 2008

like bob asked does the sps bring up a valid vin number and calibration number? usually when a diesel ecm has been programed with an aftermarket device and it is locked, the sps will pop up a message and say not a recognized valid calibration. they both act the same way so I would think something else is wrong.
      normal calibration number =15189043
      locked calibration number =1518^*$#

Comment

• phill57
        • Oct 2007

Fixed!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I figured it out.

Well when I was typing the above request earlier this afternoon I started thinking about the basics again. The owner who is a technician and I had checked powers and grounds to the ECM twice but I decided to check again this time with a load pro. I had done it by back pinning with a voltmeter and the ignition on at the ECM. Turns out I/we missed pin 21 circuit 439 Ignition 1 voltage to the ECM. When I checked again today there was virtually no voltage present on pin 21 of C2. Turns out with that input missing there are no codes, engine won't crank due to starter relay not being energized, still communicates with other controllers and provides data to a scanner. The first thing I noticed when I first started this mess was the MIL was not on with the ignition on. But the data list showed it being commanded off??? Pink wire to pin 21 corroded in the harness just below the fuse panel where the harness to the ECM and TCM splits into three.

Another thing I learned after this was the security system will not disable the starter, it will crank, start and shut off after a second or two. And no security codes in the PCM. In fact I started this with the splice pack 205 disconnected and the ECM never set any codes regarding loss of com with the serial data connected computers. Could that be due to the tune?

Thanks for the suggestions and information about the CVNs.

Comment

• Glide
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by diesel71
          like bob asked does the sps bring up a valid vin number and calibration number? usually when a diesel ecm has been programed with an aftermarket device and it is locked, the sps will pop up a message and say not a recognized valid calibration. they both act the same way so I would think something else is wrong.
          normal calibration number =15189043
          locked calibration number =1518^*$#
          I've also seen a valid VIN,but all ECM calibrations show in SPS as"unknown" and unable to overwrite and programming error code.In fact I just had this in a used Duramax ECM last week.Unless the "tuned" ECM s returned to stock with the programmer while in the vehicle that matches the VIN,the ECM is garbage.Just something else to watch out for with used ECM's.

Comment

• phill57
            • Oct 2007

Missing CVN

I did look at the CVN numbers on the used ECM last night when I was trying to program. They were all missing on it. I looked at the original numbers just now and they are fine. I removed that 15 amp fuse to simulate my issue and the CVNs are still visible on the original ECM. I never tried to flash this used ECM since I found the open wire. I'm sure that my inability to flash was due to the missing Ign 1 input at least on the original ECM.

I had a similar problem trying to program a GM BCM on an 08 GMC. It also had a blow fuse. I got about halfway through the flash then crashed.

Comment

• Glide
              • Jan 2015

I was just putting some info out there.Used ECMs can be a crapshoot and I always caution my customers about that.Taking the time to verify calibration numbers does add more labour to the job and with what some scrapyards are charging for used modules,it makes new modules look better and better.

Comment

• phill57
                • Oct 2007

Video link

Here is a link to my fix video if interested. https://youtu.be/5VbNGZc70v0

Thanks for the help and information.

Comment

Working...