old MODIS, what can i do, is it updatable?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AAAAK
    • Sep 2018

old MODIS, what can i do, is it updatable?

I am new and unfamiliar to Snap On MODIS diagnostics. Without knowing in-depth what I bought, I apparently bought an old MODIS. It works, turns on, often times it would say "Warning: Incorrect U15 Revision Level! U15 should be GCI2.0 or later."

I been searching google for answers, info around the web say software needs to be updated, and Snap On no longer offer updates for Old MODIS.

my software revision: 1.2.1 build 270
    OS Version: Windows CE 3.0.126
    Bootloader Version: 2.0 (04/04/02 13:58:23)

Thank You
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Sounds Mogus to me . For what they initially sold for new, as well as the cost of updating, the software integrity should have 10 year warranty or they write you a fresh card with the last software version the tool had.
    Also the final update of each old platform should be kept available for purchase for 10 years at a sliding scale cost from $800 if released 6 months ago down to $300 if a decade old.
    Maybe if unsure the issue could be hardware related or not . Customer pays only $80 for the legacy software install and if it doesn't fix the errors on boot up , then that's all He or She pays.Just think how many techs could still be kept on using an older usable Snap On Scan tool with slightly out of date instead of going new Chinaman Sh@t and never looking back

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

Sounds like you bought a Modis with troubles. Unfortunately it is no longer supported, so whatever is wrong with it, it's unlikely to be fixed.
      Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by AAAAK
        I am new and unfamiliar to Snap On MODIS diagnostics. Without knowing in-depth what I bought, I apparently bought an old MODIS. It works, turns on, often times it would say "Warning: Incorrect U15 Revision Level! U15 should be GCI2.0 or later."

I been searching google for answers, info around the web say software needs to be updated, and Snap On no longer offer updates for Old MODIS.

my software revision: 1.2.1 build 270
        OS Version: Windows CE 3.0.126
        Bootloader Version: 2.0 (04/04/02 13:58:23)

Thank You

I also have a Modis, love it to bits as well as my Ethii, Solii, Solii Pro’s, MT2500’s & MTG2500’s, however, you might try to download Shopstream Connect, the connect your Modis to your computer, and on the top line with ‘ file ‘ etcetera, second to last will allow you to ‘ update Shopstream Connect ‘ or ‘ Modis ‘ and if there is a firmware update for your Modis it will download and instruct you how to install it.
        I have done this with my Snap On equipment successfully and this ‘ may ‘ solve your problem, also it ‘ may ‘ not too.
        Hopefully it will.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
          • Apr 2011

Careful with updating tools through that service. I have done 2 used snap-on tools purchased online and through other mechanics. Once I updated them both through that app, it bricked them. Only way I could undo that was through my snap-on representative.

Comment

• tech25
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
            Careful with updating tools through that service. I have done 2 used snap-on tools purchased online and through other mechanics. Once I updated them both through that app, it bricked them. Only way I could undo that was through my snap-on representative.
            interesting...you mean a service release was available and upon doing the update the tool did not work?

can you be more specific?? what tools and software specifically?

Comment

Working...