X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

2006 Dodge Sprinter left rear wheel sensor code

Code for left rear speed sensor with false traction control activations etc.
    Road tested monitored wheel speed sensors, all speeds look same to me on scanner. I the checked tires inflation check okay, all same size . I jack the *** end up and put Sprinter on stands , follow sensor wiring and untaped the harness where you would think you would find the damn wheel sensor connectors and all I find are inseparable molded plastic slices. That negates any chance of a normal component test without creating wiring puncture wounds or accessing the controller connector. Funky Farfignuugen Wheel sensor that requires splicing costs about a hundred bucks a pop and I don't feel like finding pins and back probing a ABS module connector to see an oscilloscope trace
    so I look and see the rear brakes look recent , so I figure maybe rust loosened up and got between the tone wheel and sensor in the parking brake area. I pull the Left rear brake rotor off and noted one parking brake hold down spring un accounted for i rotate the axle and can see the serrated tapered stamped steel Sombrero that is pressed onto the flange has a small dent in it and the culprit broken parking brake hold down spring . I fish the spring out with a magnet and price the dealer replacement Sombrero shaped tone wheel at about $135, and axle removal required. Well I see the tone wheel is intact and only a small dent . I pull the parking shoes to give me room, grab a skinny awl and carefully pry out the little dent in the sheet metal tone wheel through the slots with the awl , throw the rotor and brakes back on and I got someone that is really happy not to be a Camper.
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Nice fix. Strange that there was no change in rear wheel speeds, but strange stuff happens.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• badcoupe
      • Jan 2011

I usually customize the datastream to just the 4 or speed sensors so the refresh rate is better and graph them, then one sensor typically fallout before the others and you can catch it after a false activation etc. Some are hard to spot though, thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Should have pulled the parking brake shoe guide plate off the cable

A week goes by with no problem with the ABS ESP , and the other day He comes back with same problem, and this time I have no problem seeing the wheel speed drop out .
        Pulled the LR wheel and Chunks of ground up metal fall out after I pull off the rear brake rotor.
        I don't know what the parts store looked up for a rear ABS tone wheel but it lists for less than $10 not $134.
        Never did rear axle bearing on a sprinter but it looks like it requires a special spanner adapter. I don't want to buy , so I might pull the assembly out , but send the axle out with new bearings, seal, and tone ring to a machine shop.

Comment

• Rizz01
          • Sep 2013

Holy ****! Don't pull that axle! The bearing falls apart when you pull the axle out! That's another $360 just for that bearing.
          I've had that same issue your having. Pull the shoes and everything. Wire brush everything. Get a right angle grinder (2") with a 3M (red) pad. Clean off the tone ring. Put penetrating oil on body of sensor outside of drum. Get something to tap sensor in and get it so its about 1.5mm off of tone ring. Reassemble and you should be all set.....

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Nothing is left of the tone ring anymore , but surprisingly the metallic mix rotating inside the rotor was generating a wheel speed signal, lol.
            I know that I will have to replace the axle bearing and seal but I don't know yet if I remove and try to sublet axle assembly out to an automotive machine shop to do the job , I'm going to hear Sorry, Chester Moe, we don't have that special Duetch $500 Farfiggnuugen spanner nut tool to do the job. (single wheel setup )

Last edited by Witsend; 08-17-2014, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Working...