Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laruk
    • Nov 2013

verdict ssd

Hi all,has anyone put a ssd hard drive in the verdict yet?
    i see people have done it to the verus.
    Just after some info on which drive to buy for the verdict ect.Thanks.
  • jasonlepak
    • Jan 2013

I just recently upgraded mine with memory and a SSD drive.

The memory was fairly easy, but the hard drive for mine was somewhat difficult to find because mine has a PATA ZIF drive.

So before you order anything, you're going to want to open yours up completely and see what kind of hard drive yours has unless they're all the same with the ZIF drives.

Also, the ribbon cables on the hard drives are very thin and very delicate so you're going to have to know what you're doing because if you rip the cable, you're pretty much screwed and will end up having to track one down.

Once mine was all back up and running though, it's at least two to three times faster and every program pretty much starts up immediately and even the boot time from off to ready to go is cut in half or faster.

Comment

• jimbo4822
      • Mar 2014

May I ask what software you used to clone the hard drive and did you have any issues. I am attempting the same thing and the cloned drive wouldn't boot. It looks like the boot sectors didn't copy correctly.

Thanks

Comment

• sbreland73
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by jimbo4822
        May I ask what software you used to clone the hard drive and did you have any issues. I am attempting the same thing and the cloned drive wouldn't boot. It looks like the boot sectors didn't copy correctly.

Thanks
        Did you mark the primary partition as "Active"? If not, this could be the reason. HTH
        S. Breland

Comment

• jimbo4822
          • Mar 2014

I got it, I just needed to use Acronis True Image. The software is was using was trying to clone in windows, which can work but with the special bios and partitions they were not doing the job. All appears to be good now, and is much quicker all around!

Comment

• laruk
            • Nov 2013

hi jimbo,what drive was in your verdict and what ssd did you buy to replace it?

Comment

• jimbo4822
              • Mar 2014

The drive i removed was a toshiba 1.8 inch ZIF pata drive, I would think all of the verdicts have this type of drive. I replaced it with a Kingspec 64 gig ssd that i ordered from amazon. you will need to get an enclosure as well to mount the new drive in to do the clone process. Amazon has those as well, total was about 90. The SSD is limited by the pata interface but its about 2.5 times faster than the toshiba drive. As little amount of writing to the disc this gets im not too worried about the garbage collection function, although acronis true image did have a trim option but i haven't really looked into it. The interface and size limits options on the drive.

Comment

• jasonlepak
                • Jan 2013

Thanks
                I used ToDo Backup or something like that... It's free and worked pretty good when I figured the program out.

Comment

• SHIMHEAD
                  • Mar 2013

The drive i removed was a toshiba 1.8 inch ZIF pata drive, I would think all of the verdicts have this type of drive. I replaced it with a Kingspec 64 gig ssd that i ordered from amazon. you will need to get an enclosure as well to mount the new drive in to do the clone process. Amazon has those as well, total was about 90. The SSD is limited by the pata interface but its about 2.5 times faster than the toshiba drive. As little amount of writing to the disc this gets im not too worried about the garbage collection function, although acronis true image did have a trim option but i haven't really looked into it. The interface and size limits options on the drive.
                  Any chance you could tell me the exact item numbers from Amazon that you ordered? Do you know if there is a hard drive size limitation on the Verdict?

Comment

• jimbo4822
                    • Mar 2014

It was a kingspec 1.8 inch ZIF ssd in 64 gig. I am sure win xp can handle a larger drive but the cost increases a lot. Also the snap on verdict system is not very robust so i recommend keeping it as streamlined as possible, dont install a lot of stuff and there will be plenty of space on the 64 gig drive. The only thing I have that will use up drive space is the data files that i generate and they don't take up much room, and can be copied to a sd card or flash drive if needed. Actually you can also install a large sd card somewhat permantly in the slot, so that will pretty much solve all of the storage needs. I also got a cubeternet usb caddy to hold the drive while i did the clone process.

Make and exact clone to get the hidden partitions too as there is the recovery partition and a data partition if i remember correctly.

I couldn't find part numbers in my old amazon order file. It is an ssd and does seem to make it a bit faster but is is still greatly limited by the pata interface. I would also recommend keeping the oe drive intact so it can be installed back in the unit if needed. The drive is mounted on the back cover, not too hard to do, the cable is a bit of a hassle seems somewhat fragile and connection a bit funky. The memory was a bit harder to do and was Corsair 2GB (1x2GB) DDR2 667 MHz (PC2 5300) Laptop Memory (VS2GSDS667D2).
                    good luck!

Comment

• SHIMHEAD
                      • Mar 2013

Just about ready to take this leap and do the SSD upgrade, have already done the memory upgrade. Does anyone know if you can access the BIOS on the Verdict, and what Function key allows it? Any chance there are changes that could be made to better support the SSD? Also, does anyone know if the motherboard itself is a standard size that could be exchanged for something a bit more capable? Not sure I want to go there yet, but it sure would be nice if the hardware had a bit more headroom......

Comment

• jimbo4822
                        • Mar 2014

As far as i can tell there is no access to the bios. The hard drive interface is the old pata speed so that is very limited as well, no where as fast as a SATA interface. I don't even remember the max speeds of the SSD i used and since there aren't many options with the size and interface requirements there really is nothing to think about. It is a custom imbedded win xp platform so it wont do trim or any other ssd maintenance. I am not too worried about this as with the small amount of writing to the disk its not an issue in my opinion anyway.

The platform is basically a netbook and as such the motherboard is most likely specific to this application. Interestingly though my program i use, called speccy, indicates the atom processor is dual threaded, which was a surprise or an error in the program. The upgrades really didn't do a significant change but it does feel a bit snappier all around. I did it mainly because i can and I like messing with computers, its my hobby, much less expensive than cars for a hobby

Comment

• merlinmitch
                          • Feb 2016

verdict recovery partition?

I noticed your thread & had replced my memory & Hd last year. much faster. i had done all my upgrades to my toshiba ie euro & 16/2 & recent updates. then i reclone the Kingspec reason ive done this is, i cannot get the Kingspec to work with snap on recovery at start up. had to have snap on recover toshiba after i had a glitch on my kinspec from 16/2 update. now my toshiba has all updates done recently so i want to clone my kingspec again. how am i missing the recovery partition when i clone? everthing else works. Thank you for your time. Mitch

Comment

• sbreland73
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by merlinmitch
                            I noticed your thread & had replced my memory & Hd last year. much faster. i had done all my upgrades to my toshiba ie euro & 16/2 & recent updates. then i reclone the Kingspec reason ive done this is, i cannot get the Kingspec to work with snap on recovery at start up. had to have snap on recover toshiba after i had a glitch on my kinspec from 16/2 update. now my toshiba has all updates done recently so i want to clone my kingspec again. how am i missing the recovery partition when i clone? everthing else works. Thank you for your time. Mitch
                            What cloning software did you use, and did you select an option "clone sector by sector"? Some cloning does not copy the MBR properly, and this is where the recovery option resides. You may still see the prompt "Press 'S' button to restore" or you may not, but it won't work if the MBR is not copied correctly.
                            S. Breland

Comment

• merlinmitch
                              • Feb 2016

I used todo cloning. not sure if i saw that sector by sector. i will look when i redo it. everything works on the scanner but the initial recover when it powers up. i didnt know the s button would prompt a recover. i really appreciate the information! thank you.

Comment

Working...