Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kvr901
    • May 2010

CF card backup?

Howdy folks. Been out of car biz for almost 20 years, but recently purchased MT2500 with all the connectors for my cars and more. Then I purchased an almost new Vantage Pro that works great, and a few days ago purchased a lightly used Solus with 9.2. Since the newest car I own is a 2001 I'm covered for quite a while.

The warnings on the Vantage Pro and on the Solus about not removing the CF card while powered up scare me.

Is there an easy way to backup the system software to another CF card (or better yet to a computer hard disk?

I've never had need for a card reader, but can get one if I need it.

Thanks
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by kvr901
    Howdy folks. Been out of car biz for almost 20 years, but recently purchased MT2500 with all the connectors for my cars and more. Then I purchased an almost new Vantage Pro that works great, and a few days ago purchased a lightly used Solus with 9.2. Since the newest car I own is a 2001 I'm covered for quite a while.

The warnings on the Vantage Pro and on the Solus about not removing the CF card while powered up scare me.

Is there an easy way to backup the system software to another CF card (or better yet to a computer hard disk?

I've never had need for a card reader, but can get one if I need it.

Thanks
    Morning.
    Most laptops and desktop computers nowadays have various SD or CF slots built into them. If not, lots have PCMCIA slots where you could use an adaptor (I have a couple). The're not expensive.

As for cards, personally I've found the SANDISK products to work reliably with the SO equipment. Just don't get the large 4-gb or 8-gb. try to find some that are 1 or 2 gig or smaller.

As for backing up, it is proprietary software so the usual encoding is in the original cards. Backups are an excellent idea and they could make that easier as we purchased the equipment (we don't RENT it) but they're of the mind they have the right to limit our purchased equipments' reliability.

Just don't pull the cards out while it's powered up. The CF cards have the operating information on them and they're not "hot-swapable" like you can usually get away with when using USB sticks. It's not always a good idea to hot-swap anyway, electronic devices don't like voltage spikes. LOL

Comment

• kvr901
      • May 2010

Originally posted by Crusty
      Morning.
      Most laptops and desktop computers nowadays have various SD or CF slots built into them. If not, lots have PCMCIA slots where you could use an adaptor (I have a couple). The're not expensive.
      "Crusty", eh? Don't pick it

My laptops and desktops either have SD card slots or PCMCIA slots, but no CF slots. I can get a reader cheap. That part is easy.

While on the subject: Can I access the CF card in either the Vantage Pro or Solus via a USB cable and veiw the directory and file structure(s)?

As for cards, personally I've found the SANDISK products to work reliably with the SO equipment. Just don't get the large 4-gb or 8-gb. try to find some that are 1 or 2 gig or smaller.

SO diagnostics tech support told me 4GIG max for the Vantage Pro. I haven't called them yet about the Solus.

As for backing up, it is proprietary software so the usual encoding is in the original cards. Backups are an excellent idea and they could make that easier as we purchased the equipment (we don't RENT it) but they're of the mind they have the right to limit our purchased equipments' reliability.

QUESTIONS:

1. Since I purchased both my Solus and Vantage Pro used they do not have a warranty. However, Micro$oft (at least used to) replaced CDs/DVDs for just a shipping charge if you sent them the original disks. Will SO or an SO dealer replace a CF card if it flakes out or gets hosed accidently? I don't anticipate pulling one accidently, but I guess it could happen.

My Vantage Pro only came with the 7.4 operating system card, so that is cool.

2. My Solus came with ver 9.2 in the #1 slot, and an older version stuffed in #2 slot. I'm not sure if the #2 card was written over or not. Is there an easy way to see if the older operating system is still on the old card without hosing anything? Perhaps I will never need the older version, but ya never know.........

Thanks!

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

I pick, scratch, fart, snore, curse, and a whole lot of others too-LOL

Like I said, if you stay under the 4-gig you shouldn't have any difficulties.

As for replacements, SO don't do ANYTHING for free. As for backups, you're pretty much on your own.

As for the other CF cards, get a PCMCIA adaptor and look to see what's on the cards. The card in the #2 slot was probably wiped out and used as a storage space, but take a look.

CYA, CYA, CYA.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

Card Storage

While on the subject: Can I access the CF card in either the Vantage Pro or Solus via a USB cable and veiw the directory and file structure(s)?

Yes. Use Shopstream Connect and will view the saved files on it.

SO diagnostics tech support told me 4GIG max for the Vantage Pro. I haven't called them yet about the Solus.

Your SP can only keep track of 500 files. A 514MB card works nicely. A bigger card will only slow you down, and won't give you any more storage space.

QUESTIONS:

1. Will SO or an SO dealer replace a CF card if it flakes out or gets hosed accidently?

CF Cards do go south on occasion, but not enough for you to lay awake worrying about it. When one does, you can get a new card shipped from Tech Support. You'll need an invoice to prove what update level you are at. There are no exceptions to that rule, so you might have trouble making that happen until you buy an update from the Dealer. It's a good idea to buy the CF update instead of having the Dealer reflash your old card..but even if you don, card errors are rare enough that it's a non-issue.

2. My Solus came with ver 9.2 in the #1 slot, and an older version stuffed in #2 slot. I'm not sure if the #2 card was written over or not. Is there an easy way to see if the older operating system is still on the old card without hosing anything? Perhaps I will never need the older version, but ya never know.........

#2 card will not be written over. The software will be on there, but you won't be able to so anything with it. because it is just storage, go ahead and fool with it. You won't hurt anything. Just don't mess with CF1!!
          Also, make sure you are saving files to CF2. It'll make the Solus faster if you don't have any files saved on CF1.

Joe
          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
          Henry Ford

Comment

Working...