Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Rich Shepherd
    It is currently possible to add notes to the .PIDs file on a Verus in the Data Manager. It is also possible to add or edit notes for a .PIDs in the note field using SSC.
    I don't remember offhand when this was added to Verus, but I think it was around 15.4.
    So we can add notes to .SCM files, and to .PID files.
    Both are movie files (am I correct-?)
    Any other file extensions we can add notes to-??

I tried changing/converting a couple of BMP files to JPG but no go. Won't allow adding notes....

Comment

• Wheel
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Rich Shepherd
      It is currently possible to add notes to the .PIDs file on a Verus in the Data Manager. It is also possible to add or edit notes for a .PIDs in the note field using SSC.
      I don't remember offhand when this was added to Verus, but I think it was around 15.4.
      What about editing the data fields, such as what type of car,year, component, etc? I don't think that can be done even yet, and would be extremely valuable.
      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Wheel
        What about editing the data fields, such as what type of car,year, component, etc? I don't think that can be done even yet, and would be extremely valuable.
        I tried that too but couldn't get anywhere with it either.....

Just for the record, SSC has had some fantastic improvements and support in recent years-!!!
        It augments our equipment immensely.
        Last edited by Crusty; 11-01-2016, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• Wheel
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
          I tried that too but couldn't get anywhere with it either.....

Just for the record, SSC has had some fantastic improvements and support in recent years-!!!
          It augments our equipment immensely.
          It is simply the best program of its kind hands down period.
          Many times it has been the deciding factor on which of my many scan tools I pick up first
          to do the job.
          You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Many times it has been the deciding factor on which of my many scan tools I pick up first
            to do the job.
            Worth repeating-!!

[It is simply the best program of its kind hands down period.
            Many times it has been the deciding factor on which of my many scan tools I pick up first to do the job.

It was THE deciding factor for me almost 10 years ago-!

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
              Snap-on D&I
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Crusty
              So we can add notes to .SCM files, and to .PID files.
              Both are movie files (am I correct-?)
              Any other file extensions we can add notes to-??
              Yes, Scope data files from the original Modis and Vantage Pro. They have many file extensions which were used to denote the type of file.
              They are listed here:

I tried changing/converting a couple of BMP files to JPG but no go. Won't allow adding notes....
              The BMP file format doesn't have built in capability to include notes.
              The jpg file format does however have fields that can be used for various bits of information including comments. You can see them by right clicking on the file from Windows, select properties, then the detail tab. SSC doesn't currently make use of those fields.

Comment

• Flatrater
                • Dec 2013

Well... I don't know about that one. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan. But the statement is mostly true because most AM tools offer nothing like this at all.

I think this was a smart business choice for Snap On. I use a Snap On scan tool primarily because of the ability to record, save, view, and share. The saving and sharing part is not very robust though. There is no database option. I may switch to another tool or simply go back to using my OE tooling that offer more options. Right now I'm happy enough.

Because of your statement, I will mention this: The OEs have some decent offerings, GM has the best. Everything you do is recorded (in the background) and available to view, share, email, export to a format that lives forever, etc. Exporting to a common format such as CSV means a lot to me. It gives me options and the ability to perform advanced diagnostics that are otherwise unavailable.

But comparing SSC like this to OE software is not fair. What is fair is comparing it with other AM options. In that light, it shines.

SSC could use a good number of improvements, but since there is essentially no AM competition, I don't have any confidence that much will change. Most will not care because most have either no idea what can be done or would have no use for any advanced uses anyway.

Much of what is going on (industry wide) isn't so much to help technicians help themselves anyway, but a move towards big data and pull-code-red-car-blue-car diagnosis as a plug and play service.

Comment

• Wheel
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Flatrater
                  Well... I don't know about that one. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan. But the statement is mostly true because most AM tools offer nothing like this at all.

I think this was a smart business choice for Snap On. I use a Snap On scan tool primarily because of the ability to record, save, view, and share. The saving and sharing part is not very robust though. There is no database option. I may switch to another tool or simply go back to using my OE tooling that offer more options. Right now I'm happy enough.

Because of your statement, I will mention this: The OEs have some decent offerings, GM has the best. Everything you do is recorded (in the background) and available to view, share, email, export to a format that lives forever, etc. Exporting to a common format such as CSV means a lot to me. It gives me options and the ability to perform advanced diagnostics that are otherwise unavailable.

But comparing SSC like this to OE software is not fair. What is fair is comparing it with other AM options. In that light, it shines.

SSC could use a good number of improvements, but since there is essentially no AM competition, I don't have any confidence that much will change. Most will not care because most have either no idea what can be done or would have no use for any advanced uses anyway.

Much of what is going on (industry wide) isn't so much to help technicians help themselves anyway, but a move towards big data and pull-code-red-car-blue-car diagnosis as a plug and play service.
                  I was comparing it to known (to me) aftermarket programs of the sort.

I would fall under the category of one of those who would have little or no idea of what the advanced uses you speak of are. On the other hand, I am always intrigued by new (at least to me) technology, pushing my rapidly dwindling brain cells to learn more and put it to use while I still can.

I have a few various older OEM scan tools, but nothing since the OE tools went pc based. One thing these older tools taught me - you really don't know what you don't know. It would be interesting to see what I'm missing.

Comment

• Crusty
                    • Dec 2007

I was comparing it to known (to me) aftermarket programs of the sort.

I would fall under the category of one of those who would have little or no idea of what the advanced uses you speak of are. On the other hand, I am always intrigued by new (at least to me) technology, pushing my rapidly dwindling brain cells to learn more and put it to use while I still can.

I have a few various older OEM scan tools, but nothing since the OE tools went pc based. One thing these older tools taught me - you really don't know what you don't know. It would be interesting to see what I'm missing.
                    A big one is the GM DBDT....Data Bus Diagnostic Tool.
                    A lot of people go goo goo over the Ford graphing but from what I've seen, SnapOn has that beat my a very long mile.
                    Chrysler-?? ANYTHING is better than that, especially with it changing like others change their socks.
                    Asian-??. Using a standard interface that supports ALL the pids beats changing tools from one to another, to another....
                    Euro-?? What the heck, follow their on-screen prompts and turn your brain off.....the scan tool MUST be right dontcha know-!!

Programming is another matter, but the number of times I've REALLY NEEDED a reflash is minimal at best. Even the dealer techs I've talked to get frustrated with reflash after reflash, after reflash, and the vehicle is still doing the same thing....but hey....the menu driven repair process published says..."make sure the calibration is at the latest level".... LMAO

Comment

Working...