X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Lith Ion Power pack versus Traditional Jumper Boxes

I've had a Lead Acid type Jumper pack a few years already I got with coupon for $39.99 that I have kept charged after each use and try to put on charge every month whether or not I use it . Trick with these things is, to turn off all accessories and leave it attached to the battery for several minutes before trying to crank vehicle over.
    Today from the same Bottom Feeder Chinese dumping ground , I bought a Lith Ion PowerPack with coupon for $20 more than I originally paid for the 2 year old heavy bulky lead Acid one I always have trouble keeping upright in the vehicle , and believe it to have similar starting capability. Peak 450A ,221A starting current and 12000mAh.

It came with a little soft case and I showed the wife how to plug the cables in , hook to vehicle and the turn the power button on and wait a few minutes before cranking over vehicle. It fit nicely in the side compartment of the driver side door. Hopefully it saves me a road call. I will use the old lead acid one a little longer till it no longer helps start cars , and maybe get my own lith ion jumper next time it's on sale and then I'll buy the 2 year no questions asked warranty then if either one goes out I'll just swap out what ever one of the two cr@ps out first.
    Just wondering how many shops are using the lith ion power packs versus the lead acid jumper packs , and how well they perform and hold up in comparison.? I kinda like it because it reminds me of my Red Brick, but really more like the original Solus that will sit most of the time but always there when you need it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Witsend; 11-21-2018, 05:45 PM.
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

I have one very similar to the one shown (900 peak, 450 cranking). Small engines in the summer are ok with it. For everything else I use the larger lead acid ones, 2 if it's a diesel. The biggest down fall for the smaller jumpers is the reset button in the cable assembly, but without the overload protection it might explode or melt I guess. I bought the 2 Snap On jumpers about 10 years ago and after almost daily use, much abuse and a few repairs they're still going strong.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

I have one very similar to the one shown (900 peak, 450 cranking). Small engines in the summer are ok with it. For everything else I use the larger lead acid ones, 2 if it's a diesel. The biggest down fall for the smaller jumpers is the reset button in the cable assembly, but without the overload protection it might explode or melt I guess. I bought the 2 Snap On jumpers about 10 years ago and after almost daily use, much abuse and a few repairs they're still going strong.
      Lith Ion 900 peak 450A cranking sounds like 2 of these 12000mAh batteries must have been put in parallel to achieve and likely using longer heavier gauge cables.
      As for the 2 Snap On Jumpers lasting 10 years, are they lead acid construction and the original supplied internal Marine batteries?
      Even though they work awesome in that you don't need to wait any period of time before cranking vehicle over , The draw back to the heavy duty commercial jumper assemblies on wheels is you have to either bust your b@lls and lift a heavy assembly into the back of a vehicle after starting, or not forget to go back outside immediate and retrieve it before it disappears.

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

EEPJ500 I think. One plain and the other with inverter and USB charger. They've been run over, dragged and dropped. I don't think that there is much in them that's original anymore. I've sent them both in for repair a couple of times, it's quicker than ordering the parts.

Comment

Working...